Immigration income issue

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They can object but they cannot rightfully deny the application for it.

Not hard for them to understand why it would be different amounts when the exchange rates are not the same every month.

By the same token it's shouldn't be hard for them to stick to the basic, published rules. But a fair few of them don't and ultimately more work for themselves and their victims. Bloody jobsworths.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They can object but they cannot rightfully deny the application for it.

Not hard for them to understand why it would be different amounts when the exchange rates are not the same every month.

My UK Company pension is paid on the 1st of every month except when the 1st is a Saturday, a Sunday or a public holiday when it is paid early, landing me in the position of some months (maybe 4 per year) receiving 2 payments and some months having none.

In your opinion what should be the Immigration response be to that payment schedule, and what is it liable to be, before I attempt to go that route.

Thanks

44 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

My UK Company pension is paid on the 1st of every month except when the 1st is a Saturday, a Sunday or a public holiday when it is paid early, landing me in the position of some months (maybe 4 per year) receiving 2 payments and some months having none.

In your opinion what should be the Immigration response be to that payment schedule, and what is it liable to be, before I attempt to go that route.

Thanks

I had that problem last year. Two payments in August ,none in September. They wanted me to write and sign a statement explaining why, Bank Holiday Weekend in the UK. Easily resolved.

Edited by SussexExpat

13 hours ago, deadbeat said:

OK geniuses,

Here is the deal, agent wants 7k, which is what I usually pay. Well worth it, no waiting in line, in and out in less than 5 mins. The brownshirts want 15k to overlook my non compliance. Total 22k so nice little earner for them.   Methinks there is another way to skin this cat by going for 60 day then extra 30 day which takes me into June,  I would like to be outa here anyway for the wet season,  so maybe a little trip somewhere close,  then when things have some semblance of normality and Thaiairways is back in action hightail it and return Oct ish.

I had hoped that I would have had more positive replies and maybe some ideas to mull over but true to form only negative responses that take delight in pointing out the error of my ways. 

They aint getting the money, I'd rather give it to the dogs home.

Hope you all have a nice day.

I understand your frustration.      I think however most countries have some kind of immigration policies that may annoy more than   a few residents.

Your idea of coming and going to Thailand may not even be possible according to  the time frame you want.     I think basing any plans on the future of Thai Airways could be a mistake on your part.

AS one poster suggested you will feel better after you go ahead and pay the agent to get things back on track.

The benefits of cutting one's nose off to spite the face rarely pays dividends.

Good luck.

P.S.    "'I'd rather give it to the dogs home"   Nothing wrong with supporting dogs but I think the best way to do so is to have  a spay and neuter program.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If they can see that the majority of your transfers are done on the 1st and you can show them the reason they came in early due to a weekend or holiday they should accept them.

Been looking also at the comments re TransferWise borderless accounts, I'm considering if it's worth going that way to delay the arrival to say 18th, takes out the possibility of 2 per month. Drawback is manual payment request every month in lieu of automatic by pension providers.

It would also allow me in the future to combine payments from private and state pensions into one monthly transfer amount instead of the 12 private monthly + 13 state (paid every 4 weeks which runs the risk of being disbarred due to not being monthly and not on consistent date each month).

I have my Borderless account automatically send about 70,000 baht monthly to my Bangkok Bank which shows up as an International transfer so far 100% of the time but not "guaranteed" to do so of course.  I also have my USA bank which receives my pension and Social Security funds automatically fund the Borderless account every month. This in case I get incapacitated somehow for a month or so and cannot make manual transfers one or more months.  So I can safely choose what day of the month Bangkok Bank receives the funds for my retirement extension.

Edited by mojaco
Clarity
  • Like 1

For the purposes of the Thai Visa readership, the OP has drawn a line in the sand which says, "thus far, and no further".

One wonders how he will finally resolve his dilemma, and will he post about it, truthfully, on here?

My personal opinion is that the sums of money required to be paid to remedy the situation are simply "the cost of doing business". Many people in the commercial world understand what this means.

Putting "principle" first, is never a way to profit!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

This is not always going to be the persons fault, my pension pays on the 1st of every month, except when the 1st falls on a Saturday, a Sunday or a public holiday, when they pay early. In the last year 4 months had double payments, therefore 4 months had no payments, therefore through no fault of mine, I would also have fallen foul of "the every month" rule. Luckily I am on the "money in bank" route, but how long I can maintain it I don't know.

The senior official at any immigration office has discretion to waive strict adherence to the "every month" rule where it is clear something like you describe has occurred. Indeed, allowing the senior official such discretion is partly due to circumstances like you describe. Unfortunately, first you generally do not get the opportunity to plead your case at the appropriate level; and second many officials are reluctant to exercise their rightful powers without financial inducement.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

P.S.    "'I'd rather give it to the dogs home"   Nothing wrong with supporting dogs but I think the best way to do so is to have  a spay and neuter program.

Is that for the dogs, or for the io's?

• Haha 1

UbonJoe can back me up on this but, but so far as I know there is no requirement concerning which day of the month your 65,000+ FTT transfer is made to your Bank account in Thailand but usually one transfer per calendar month is required. I usually call Fidelty to do a wire transfer to Bangkok Bank around the middle of the month, giving me adequate time to correct any errors that may arise.  It takes only one working day for the money to appear in my Bangkok Bank account.  I accumulate my pension payments from different sources in my cash management account at Fidelity so that I personally have complete control over when the funds are transferred to Thailand.  My only charge is the 200 baht that BB charges me for handling the money.  The international wire transfer cannot be automated.  I must call every month but have a standing order on file with Fidelity so I only need to mention BB and they can view the complete information on file.  It usually takes only a 5-10 minute call to Fidelity Service Direct.  Your voice is your identification so there is no need to enter passwords, etc.

23 hours ago, deadbeat said:

OK geniuses,

Here is the deal, agent wants 7k, which is what I usually pay. Well worth it, no waiting in line, in and out in less than 5 mins. The brownshirts want 15k to overlook my non compliance. Total 22k so nice little earner for them.   Methinks there is another way to skin this cat by going for 60 day then extra 30 day which takes me into June,  I would like to be outa here anyway for the wet season,  so maybe a little trip somewhere close,  then when things have some semblance of normality and Thaiairways is back in action hightail it and return Oct ish.

I had hoped that I would have had more positive replies and maybe some ideas to mull over but true to form only negative responses that take delight in pointing out the error of my ways. 

They aint getting the money, I'd rather give it to the dogs home.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Yes you made the error, and received some good responses. But seriously nobody here gives a stuff on what way you play this, and if you sink to the bottom getting back across the river, then so be it for being foolish.  Lots of words to describe you, but we'll just leave at it like this.

Edited by couchpotato

On 3/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, deadbeat said:

Right, rant over. Anyone got any bright ideas, dont say pay the money cos it aint happening.

All informed suggestions welcome.

It might be cheaper in the long run, and give you a lot less problems, just to pay that 15k baht and get cleared with it; and then make sure you have everything in order for next year, and save the agent...???? costs...

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

you must think folks are really stupid, 'typical bribes' - lol. These folks who do not meet immigration requirements by not having the money needed for extension are using 'agents' to be a middleman for bribing an immigration officer to falsify information. You can spin it anyway you like but it is still an illegal act and if caught you will be thrown out of here after serving jail time..

You still don’t know how Thailand really operates.

• Like 1

This is so typical of Thai bureaucracy. The OP says he easily meets the annual money total requirement but no, that isn't good enough. It has to be so much per month, not a high amount this month and a lower amount next month. Why? What possible difference can it make? I would be in the same position, earning enough to live on for half the year with a job I have over two months, but then a lower income during the other months. Which is why I have no choice but to stick with a marriage visa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It appears that you don't have an income problem just a problem in meeting the monthly requirement.  If the money is coming from abroad perhaps it would be best to just transfer enough to meet the 65K each month.  Another idea would be just to put the 800K into a bank account and leave it there for the purposes of meeting the immigration requirements.  Then transfer the money that you need to live on each month as you usually do but maybe into a different bank account.  Yes, I know, who wants to leave 800K sitting in a Thai bank earning almost nothing in interest.  Until you sort out a way to meet the monthly income requirements this might just solve the issue.  

Yep they stick to the 65k a month..  I went in well before my renewal and asked about ATM withdrawals / 65k. Technically if i withdraw money from Thai bank from my US bank it’s foreign money and in the Thai. If not in the Thai bank then how did I get the cash....

No they weren’t going for it... 

I have to be careful when I transfer dividend money from US to Thai bank because sometimes I’m paid just before end of month and other time just after month.. 

Oh well once a year is Ok...

oh 

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no rule that states that the transfers have to be on or about the same day every month.

I agree because my pension pay dates can vary, for example in December I get paid 2 days before Christmas day and I transfer my money here then about a week earlier than normal and it's always passed scrutiny.

Seems you have already received the answer to your problem. Best to pay rather than risk further problems. Yes it is annoying to have to transfer 65k at the same time each month then go and get a credit note from the bank then present 13 credit notes back to the bank for their letter at annual extension and get the account confirmed along with copies of all pages of your bank book but thems the rules! Your agent is merely trying to assist you as you have not abided

On 3/16/2021 at 10:46 AM, foreverlomsak said:

Been looking also at the comments re TransferWise borderless accounts, I'm considering if it's worth going that way to delay the arrival to say 18th, takes out the possibility of 2 per month. Drawback is manual payment request every month in lieu of automatic by pension providers.

It would also allow me in the future to combine payments from private and state pensions into one monthly transfer amount instead of the 12 private monthly + 13 state (paid every 4 weeks which runs the risk of being disbarred due to not being monthly and not on consistent date each month).

Absolutely correct. Monthly payment then completely under your control especially when combined with Bangkok Bank. I maintain a sum in their borderless account allowing me to adjust according to exchange rate and date which is then within a few baht of the exact sum on the same day of the month even though I then follow that up with a subsequent transfer which is in total at least twice the required monthly amount as I can't live on just the monthly sum required

19 hours ago, ericthai said:

You still don’t know how Thailand really operates.

it operates like every country I've been to that has a daily income for it's people of around 10 dollars a day. If you mean how ingrained corruption is look no further than your own country..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/10/uk-corrupt-nation-earth-brexit-money-laundering

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/01/28/report-transparency-international-corruption-worst-decade-united-states/

• Sad 3

On 3/16/2021 at 9:26 AM, OJAS said:

Either jobsworths or "on the make" in the case of certain rogue offices (e.g. Nonthaburi).

They squeak when they shuffle their feet in Nonthaburi, compared to Chiang Mai.. Never had a bad wait, used an agent, or paid one extra THB.  Was caught off guard trying to go 42 days before, but didn't know it is 30 there. 

23 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

UbonJoe can back me up on this but, but so far as I know there is no requirement concerning which day of the month your 65,000+ FTT transfer is made to your Bank account in Thailand but usually one transfer per calendar month is required. I usually call Fidelty to do a wire transfer to Bangkok Bank around the middle of the month, giving me adequate time to correct any errors that may arise.  It takes only one working day for the money to appear in my Bangkok Bank account.  I accumulate my pension payments from different sources in my cash management account at Fidelity so that I personally have complete control over when the funds are transferred to Thailand.  My only charge is the 200 baht that BB charges me for handling the money.  The international wire transfer cannot be automated.  I must call every month but have a standing order on file with Fidelity so I only need to mention BB and they can view the complete information on file.  It usually takes only a 5-10 minute call to Fidelity Service Direct.  Your voice is your identification so there is no need to enter passwords, etc.

Could you do a SWIFT transfer to bbl NYC, and have it be considered a domestic wire? BTW, I like the voice recognition system, too. 

I don’t understand why you use an agent just go to your immigration office present the documents and see what happens if they turn you down then that’s when you know you have to do something about it 15,000 is a very good price here on the island you can at least double that I know of individuals who have paid 40,000+ 

• Confused 1