Eight killed in Atlanta-area shooting rampage; suspect arrested

webfact

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Jeffr2's claim that all his victims are Asian is factually incorrect. 

Race is one possibility. Or maybe he hates sex workers? Maybe he caught HIV in there? Maybe one or more of the workers is an ex girlfriend? Many the massage parlours have a common owner who he has beef with and is one of the victims?

There are many potential motivational factors for such an attack. I'm not ruling out race, but it's a bit early to conclude this is a racially motivated attack like Jeffr2 did, especially when he also killed 2 Whites and shot a Mexican during the same rampage. 

It does seem massage oriented. He left the first massage parlor and went 30 miles to the next two, one of which was right across the street from the other. If it were just a matter of going after Asians, I would think there are bigger targets that are closer to each other, such as restaurants, temples, etc.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Thankfully Georgia I think still has the death penalty - unless Biden changes it

I hope it does.  It results in massive legal delays and massive amounts of money for legal fees.  Let them rot, save the money.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It does seem massage oriented. He left the first massage parlor and went 30 miles to the next two, one of which was right across the street from the other. If it were just a matter of going after Asians, I would think there are bigger targets that are closer to each other, such as restaurants, temples, etc.  

Yep, somewhere like Atlanta Chinatown would have been easier than driving 30 miles to different massage parlors if he simply wanted to kill Asians.

http://www.atlantachinatown.com/

image.thumb.png.87e366b183e15b14108038071425daf9.png

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Race is one possibility. Or maybe he hates sex workers? Maybe he caught HIV in there? Maybe one or more of the workers is an ex girlfriend? Many the massage parlours have a common owner who he has beef with and is one of the victims?

There are many potential motivational factors for such an attack. I'm not ruling out race, but it's a bit early to conclude this is a racially motivated attack like Jeffr2 did, especially when he also killed 2 Whites and shot a Mexican during the same rampage. 

The report I read said the victims were Asian.  And so far, a majority seem to be so.  It's entirely possible he hates sex workers.  Possibly Asian ones.  Crimes against Asians are on the rise.  <removed>

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/16/us/atlanta-shootings-massage-parlor.html

There have been nearly 3,800 reports of hate incidents targeting Asian-Americans nationwide since last March, according to Stop AAPI Hate. The group said the shootings on Tuesday “will only exacerbate the fear and pain that the Asian-American community continues to endure.”

In Seattle, the Police Department said on Tuesday night that it would increase patrols and outreach to support the city’s Asian-American community. The New York Police Department’s counterterrorism bureau said on Twitter that it would “be deploying assets to our great Asian communities across the city out of an abundance of caution.”

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tug said:

A real pos imo.my wife is afraid to go out without me I’ve seen some (looks) but nothing overt yet.just ugly a bad deal my compassion and condolences to the bereaved and I hope that dude rots in prison with lots of (unpleasant)company 

I'm curious, are you in the Atlanta area and is you wife of Asian appearance?

I was wondering if there is a general prejudice against women of certain ethnicity in Georgia .

It makes me so sad when I hear of these guys going on killing sprees 

• Like 2

Speaking of subject this from The Sun - expect will be few hours as still night in USA.

A youth pastor at the Crabapple First Baptist Church confirmed he was the suspect in the shootings and that a statement would be forthcoming.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14364127/eight-shot-dead-atlanta-spas-cops-arrest-suspect/

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

You’re putting a lot of effort into dreaming up motivations.

Why not let the investigation come to its conclusion, they might help you out, it might not be a race hate crime.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

With everyone allowed to buy a gun and no restrictions on carrying one....... America would be so much safer.

Having more guns and less restrictions on carrying them reduces gun deaths and violence?

Is that what you're saying?    Or is this a joke about a tragic event? 

Edited by Andy from Kent
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm sure this will make Thai news. Be more careful than usual if you happen to be white here. It only takes one punk thinking he's giving "payback" to end your life. It's wrong, it's stupid, but perhaps that POS that did the killings justified for same insane reason. It doesn't matter if 99% of Thais might not hold that view. Only takes one. So stay frosty.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So what? Would you be shouting from the rooftops if he was black ?

Was this event related to hatred toward Asians, or was that a coincidence? America has a disproportionate number of nutters these days. That much is certain. The US has the distinction of being the serial killing capital of the world. 

The United States has 3 times more serial killers per capita than any other country in the world and has produced 67.58% of known serial killers.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-have-produced-the-most-serial-killers.html

Edited by spidermike007

3 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I'm sure this will make Thai news. Be more careful than usual if you happen to be white here. It only takes one punk thinking he's giving "payback" to end your life. It's wrong, it's stupid, but perhaps that POS that did the killings justified for same insane reason. It doesn't matter if 99% of Thais might not hold that view. Only takes one. So stay frosty.

You raise a valid point. One of many reasons that it's so irresponsible to label this a race hate crime against Asians until all the facts are known.

We have enough race issues at the moment without adding to them.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There have been very few black serial killers in recent memory. Think about it. Nearly all serial killers are white. It is a white man's disease. And American white men are the worst. 

Can't blame the white man on the DC Sniper.

• Like 2

There aren't very many Thais in the Atlanta area. Many in the restaurant biz. Lots of Vietnamese though. Vietnamese dominate the nail salons. I'm not really sure about the dodgy "spas" as that's not my thing. 

As far as why he didn't target Chinatown mall, who knows? Maybe he's not very bright. Chinatown mall attracts many Latino workers doing lunch so he might have had a surprise. It's in the burbs. Atlanta doesn't have a downtown Chinatown. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You raise a valid point. One of many reasons that it's so irresponsible to label this a race hate crime against Asians until all the facts are known.

We have enough race issues at the moment without adding to them.

Just now listening to a police official in Georgia. He said that they don't know all the details, but it would be irresponsible to not consider this a hate crime. But they just don't know the details at this point.

• Like 1

From what I have observed in the US, Thais run restaurants or work in them.  The Vietnamese either run a restaurant or a nail salon, while the lao folks work in the restaurant industry in those owned by Chinese, Thai or Vietnamese.  The Koreans and Chinese work in the massage parlor or sex trade as we used to call it the Rub and Tug shops, along with some of the Ukrainians and Russian women who have been trafficked.  That's my view as a former and retired LE Officer. 

8 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Just now listening to a police official in Georgia. He said that they don't know all the details, but it would be irresponsible to not consider this a hate crime. But they just don't know the details at this point.

Obviously! Definitely needs to be explored as a possible hate crime. Doesn't mean that will be confirmed yet or not. But really mass murder is really enough to nail him. 

BTW, I just looked this up. Somewhat surprisingly, Georgia does have hate crime laws.

Georgia Passes Hate Crime Law, Leaving Only Three States Without One (forbes.com)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2