Water Quality: Big green/blue bottles that are delivered

Saraburi121

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I've seen their sophisticated filter system a UV water filter system, the Ultraviolet rays are used to kill the harmful bacteria from the water.

Hence the water is completely disinfected from pathogens. 

UV water purifier is good for health because it kills all the harmful microbes present in the water without affecting the taste.

It's called reverse osmosis. Our local water comes from the 'mountain'   IE the river they do this process then delivered for 13b it is exactly the same water as in the small bottles. I know of one plant where they use reverse osmosis and also pass the water through some kind of magnetic field and is supposed to be healthier but are not allowed to advertise it as being a health benefit, it has a picture of a heart on the small bottles.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And logic tells me they can, because they do!

I have visited a couple of these bottling plants, my wife's family have one near Sawang Daen Din and our own Phu Yan operates one.

I could not see that there is any reason to doubt that they carry out the procedure correctly and both have  what I presume to be certificates of compliance on the walls.

We've used the 20 ltr jugs for over 7 years for drinking and cooking and have never had cause for concern.

In your case that maybe true... however not all are the same.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, jackdd said:

I do of course not know your specific water delivery service, but in general this water is safe to drink.

Usually they also offer smaller bottles if you don't like the big jugs.

We get both, have done for more years than I care to remember, no complaints at all.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:16 PM, Saraburi121 said:

I don't know the specifics of the water delivery service either, maybe I should ask and do some research.  They don't offer small bottles only the jugs. Of course they are going to tell you that it is as pure as spring water if you ask. Who knows?

When jugs are mentioned, I assume it means the larger containers with the blue caps. We have an Imaflex cooler outside which you put the "jugs" into upside down and gives you hot or cold water.

18 hours ago, alacrity said:

Depends on your source and how you use the bottle. Some time ago (in Phuket) we opted to rely upon delivered water as a source of potable water and subsequently purchased a cooler for such bottles.

Being generous, about 30% of bottles were of dubious structural integrity and collapsed,. Resulting in a leakage of the contents  (usually in the early hours of the morning). Other bottles were contaminated with green algae. We tried several vendors, including purchasing direct from the bottling font. Without improvement.

Have filtered our own supply ever since.

Also on Phuket, I have been buying these 10 Baht white bottles for 20+ years now, using them with a cooler. Maybe 1% is contaminated, and maybe 5% develops a leak, if either one happens I just tell them and I get a new bottle for free.

I only buy from the company called Green Water in Kata.

Edited by stevenl

On 4/3/2021 at 1:02 PM, giddyup said:

That's cheap, we pay 40 baht for that size.

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Is there something special about your water then? ????

Maybe wetter????, anyway I pay 13b and 15b if the young kid up the the road brings it on a hand cart, its her way to earn a couple of baht, she takes all my recyclables not only that she is about 9yrs old and she insists on carrying it inside.

• Haha 1

I use my own 5 litre bottles that are refilled and delivered.
The water treatment plant is owned by a friend, quality and service is excellent as is price at 5 baht a bottle.
Also lifting a 5 litre bottle is safer and pouring into my "Seagull" water dispenser is easy on the back.

Appreciate all the the helpful suggestions and opinions.  Bought a mini pump and a filter pitcher. Going to start phasing out the 330ml bottles and use the big refillable jugs to save some money and more so help the environment.  Looked into reverse osmosis a bit but research thus far suggests that the household system wastes a more water that it produces.  Long producing wells going dry in the village is a bit scary.  Drink water and live. 

There is likely little to no difference in the quality of the water between small and large bottles. I tend to find the clear blue bottled water tends to taste better. Likely depends on the company. I can't stand consuming all that plastic. 

I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave my table immediately, and get me my food. She went away.

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing.

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference, and offering a nice service to their customers. 

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

Tell the wife. Educate her. She says she loves Thailand, right? Well, stop saying it, and demonstrate your love for your nation. LOL. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is likely little to no difference in the quality of the water between small and large bottles. I tend to find the clear blue bottled water tends to taste better. Likely depends on the company. I can't stand consuming all that plastic. 

I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave my table immediately, and get me my food. She went away.

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing.

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference, and offering a nice service to their customers. 

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

Tell the wife. Educate her. She says she loves Thailand, right? Well, stop saying it, and demonstrate your love for your nation. LOL. 

Nice post.  I think I have persuaded the wife/family to change. Will keep on it.  I reminded the family of the plastic water/beverage bottles washed up on the beaches when we lived in Japan and beach holidays here in Thailand.  The only push back I got was eating at street food restaurants, family doesn't trust them to serve potable water from a pitcher.  Sometimes eating street food there is not option but to drink small bottled water.  Set the example and the rest will follow. One step at a time.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Nice post.  I think I have persuaded the wife/family to change. Will keep on it.  I reminded the family of the plastic water/beverage bottles washed up on the beaches when we lived in Japan and beach holidays here in Thailand.  The only push back I got was eating at street food restaurants, family doesn't trust them to serve potable water from a pitcher.  Sometimes eating street food there is not option but to drink small bottled water.  Set the example and the rest will follow. One step at a time.  

At the street food places nearly always potable water is served in pitchers, no need for plastic bottles there.

• Like 1

I worked in the farming industry here for many years, visiting many farms and as a consultant advising on various aspects.
As an example replacing squat toilets with western style ones to prevent broken ankles, and hot showers to ensure all staff showered in the Winter season.

Large water containers were used at the farms for drinking water, following a couple of incidences where many of the staff became ill such water was then only used for cooking and bottled water provided for staff.
When all staff at a farm suddenly go sick who looks after the livestock ?

Better to pay a little more for "good" quality water.

On 4/3/2021 at 12:13 AM, kwonitoy said:

used the blue ones for the past 20 years on this style of cooler, 20 baht per bottle delivered inside the house. Never had any problems

20210403_110303_resized.jpg

If you used it for 20 years I think it is time to remove the 5 year warranty sticker. ????

On 4/2/2021 at 10:01 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well logically they do deliver and it's 15 baht its 10 baht if you go and change the bottle yourself but we are very rich.

They are 20 kilos so for us they collect the initial bottle which you pay a deposit on replacement, we have 2 and call them when one runs out.

I've seen their sophisticated filter system a UV water filter system, the Ultraviolet rays are used to kill the harmful bacteria from the water.

Hence the water is completely disinfected from pathogens. 

UV water purifier is good for health because it kills all the harmful microbes present in the water without affecting the taste.

UV light kills biological pathogens but does nothing about removing pollutants such as carcinogens,  led, and other harmful pollutants.  

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

UV light kills biological pathogens but does nothing about removing pollutants such as carcinogens,  led, and other harmful pollutants.  

Well I didn't think I would have go into too much detail, the water gets filtered first and then continues through the UV process.  

• Like 2

I ordered and received the USB chargeable pump from Lazada.  From looking at the pictures it looked like it screwed on as the lids do.  It doesn't just sets on top.  It works but thought it screwed on, easy to fall off.  Maybe I ordered the wrong pump or have the wrong type of bottles.  Pictures attached. 

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

I live in Banphai south of Khon Kaen and have a friend who has his own water purifying plant.
I have my own 5 litre Singha bottles.
I use this water for drinking and cooking.
The refill charge is 5 baht per 5 litre bottle, empties collected, refilled delivered.
I have 36 bottles and their boxes.
I use a Seagull 5 litre water dispenser.
Never had an issue with water quality ( I know where the bottles have been !!! ), or delivery.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:13 AM, kwonitoy said:

used the blue ones for the past 20 years on this style of cooler, 20 baht per bottle delivered inside the house. Never had any problems

20210403_110303_resized.jpg

Just went and bought us a dispenser somewhat like you have.  The USB chargeable pump I ordered from Lazada was good for me but not a hit with the kids. Appreciate all the input on the topic.  Wife was sold on the fact the salesman said the hot water was hot enough to make a cup of instant Nescafe coffee, yet to be seen but its all good. 

IMG_0984.jpeg

Just now, Surelynot said:

I recall a company in Pattaya (few years ago now to be fair) caught filling these from a tap in their backyard....???

I visited the company where our bottles are filled and is legitimate.  At least the backyard wasn't Flint, Michigan USA. 

• Haha 1