SURVEY: Will Thailand get the virus under control?

Scott

SURVEY: Covid, out of control or controllable?  

473 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Your opinion, not mine...

Allow me to quote dr Zoe Harcombe PhD, who nailed it eloquently:

John wants Jane locked away from human contact for a year+, so he feels safer.
John wants Jane to be masked & distanced indefinitely, so he feels safer.
John wants Jane to have a medical intervention, so he feels safer.
Jane wants nothing from John; but she's the selfish one?!

Let me make that a bit more true

John could die if jane infects here so he wants jane masked and distanced and he does the same

John will be ok after the vaccination but jane is spreading all kind of misinformation about vaccinations making overall vaccinations less effective

John wants jane to use science when forming an opinion jane likes to use social media where similar brain dead people fire each other up to make false claims

Jane says she wans nothing form John; she is not selfish just misguided

I think this covers it a lot better.

Its strange how you keep silent over your Belgian hero, i mean its an example of jumping from theory to theory. Once discredited you rather forget about it then admitting you were wrong and hop over to the next outlier theory. Why not change your sources and be right for a while.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, alant said:

can't answer the survey as I feel the government are making a right <deleted> of things plus I feel the new wave is not new at all, Thailand has had lots of infected people who fortunately are asymptomatic or do not fall acutely ill or die it seems, don't know why vitamin D?

So will there be loads of deaths? maybe not...

Vitamin D helps boost your immune system

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 6:16 PM, Janner1 said:

Don’t blame the Farang!!

most if not all of the infections in Thailand are as a result of porous borders and the border hoppers that use them and then avoid quarantine.

Any future farang coming back now or later will have to show proof of vaccination and further testing before they get past immigration. And before you say it , there is certain proof that once vaccinated there is very little to no possibility of being Asymptomatic and therefore not likely to infect others.

The proof of that is on the net, one simply needs to search it.

There was comment by either some government person or medical adviser last week when the Kent variant was identified that claimed that it probably came from Cambodia. That's either a wild guess or they already know which parts of their borders are leaky and it's not just the Myanmar one. They, like the rest of us, also probably know why it's like this.

BTW, the 52.39% who voted "No, the gov't is inept and we will see widespread illness and death" are totally and hopelessly clueless. You know who you are.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, polpott said:

Only if you have a deficiency in it.

Yes those promoting vitamin D might want to get out a bit more in the sun. 

Strange actually that Thais get sick from covid. Plenty of sun here so almost no would be deficient. Yet they still get the virus. Perhaps its not such a cure all as people say.

(oh i take vitamin d too did so long ago but its more that i once bought a bottle and am finishing it) not one of my regular supplements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Strange actually that Thais get sick from covid. Plenty of sun here so almost no would be deficient. Yet they still get the virus. Perhaps its not such a cure all as people say.

Sunscreen and women.  Vitamin D deficiency in Thailand.

"Low serum 25(OH)D concentrations were more prevalent in individuals with female gender, younger age and urban versus rural residence in Thailand."

"Thai women are at risk for vitamin D insufficiency likely due to sunscreen usage and sun avoidant behavior due to the desire to maintain a fair complexion."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, robblok said:

(oh i take vitamin d too did so long ago but its more that i once bought a bottle and am finishing it) not one of my regular supplements.

Nobody has said it is a cure or prevents infection! There is some evidence that correcting deficiency which is not uncommon reduces the chances of experiencing a severe case if infected. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nobody has said it is a cure or prevents infection! There is some evidence that correcting deficiency which is not uncommon reduces the chances of experiencing a severe case if infected. 

Read before you post, i never said it cured it. I said that we get a lot of vit D from the sun. So its hard to be deficient if you get out at times. Could you point out where i said it would cure covid ?

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Read before you post, i never said it cured it. I said that we get a lot of vit D from the sun. So its hard to be deficient if you get out at times. Could you point out where i said it would cure covid ?

You're post CLEARLY mentions

Perhaps its not such a cure all as people say.

I never said that YOU claim D is a cure.

About your further point.

Its largely groundless.

Many Thais obviously are D deficient. Many avoid the sun and many have health conditions that block absorption.

But we would need to see detailed correlation of D levels in Thailand to covid case seventy to know anything. 

There may be genetic factors among Thais that result in less severe cases. Also its a younger population compared to most countries that have been hit hard. But that aspect is changing with the Brazilian variation. 

I would agree Thais in general get more sun than northern countries so it would follow that D deficiency would in general be less common here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're post CLEARLY mentions

Perhaps its not such a cure all as people say.

I never said that YOU claim D is a cure.

About your further point.

Its largely groundless.

Many Thais obviously are D deficient. Many avoid the sun and many have health conditions that block absorption.

But we would need to see detailed correlation of D levels in Thailand to covid case seventy to know anything. 

There may be genetic factors among Thais that result in less severe cases. Also its a younger population compared to most countries that have been hit hard. But that aspect is changing with the Brazilian variation. 

I would agree Thais in general get more sun than northern countries so it would follow that D deficiency would in general be less common here.

Love to see your figures about the blocking of vit D. Maybe those genetic factors are just the sun. I was mistaken thought i did not use the word cure.. as i never saw it as a cure. I heard it MIGHT be a defense but ONLY in people deficient and that the SUN gives us vitamin D.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Love to see your figures about the blocking of vit D. Maybe those genetic factors are just the sun. I was mistaken thought i did not use the word cure.. as i never saw it as a cure. I heard it MIGHT be a defense but ONLY in people deficient and that the SUN gives us vitamin D.

You lost me.

Let's keep it simple.

Not being deficient in D is always advisable and possibly more important than usual during this pandemic. 

Very few people know if they're deficient or not.

Short of blood testing people can get more sun and or take supplements. Getting enough from diet isn't practical.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, BritManToo said:

Where was the option to say no government can control COVID.

No need to bash the thai government.

correct, however ONLY the THAI government (Anutin and Prayut mostly and many times repeating themselves) said they (Thailand) had COVID under control   555

• Like 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

Very few people know if they're deficient or not.

That's because very few people are. Same with Vitamin C. people taking 10 times the recommended daily dose when they get as much as they need from food/drinks. Crazy people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, polpott said:

That's because very few people are. Same with Vitamin C. people taking 10 times the recommended daily dose when they get as much as they need from food/drinks. Crazy people.

No. That's not true.

Reasons for deficiency.

Avoiding and or no sunlight.

Or coverage of skin too much.

Darker skin color

Obesity blocks absorption

Old age blocks absorption

Medical conditions blocks absorption

No source in diet

--

On the other hand, a low vitamin D status is emerging as a very common condition worldwide, and several studies from basic science to clinical applications have highlighted a strong association with chronic diseases, as well as acute conditions.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41430-020-0558-y

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, polpott said:

Yes. That's true. Don't be scammed by the brown rice brigade. A white person living in Thailand will undoubtedly produce enough Vitamin D. Likewise with Vitamin C. "A plate of somtam a day keeps the doctor away".

Not talking about C.

Vitamin D deficiency is not rare and in some populations such as black Americans shockingly common. 

Nobody is advising long term megadosage of D.

That is dangerous.

However some hospitals are Identifying D deficiency in Covid 19 patients and giving massive doses short term to quickly raise the levels. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Vitamin D deficiency is not rare and in some populations such as black Americans shockingly common. 

Its also common in Muslim women in the UK. A pretty sunless country and they have dark skin and when they venture out are completely covered apart from a small letterbox around the eyes.

However, neither you nor I are Muslim women living in the UK. Nature magazine is making you paranoid. Take a chill pill and enjoy life.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its also common in Muslim women in the UK. A pretty sunless country and they have dark skin and when they venture out are completely covered apart from a small letterbox around the eyes.

However, neither you nor I are Muslim women living in the UK. Nature magazine is making you paranoid. Take a chill pill and enjoy life.

I think people should consider supplements not megadose if they have dark skin, have blocking conditions such as old age and or don't get much sun. You're free to think otherwise. Taking D is almost no risk so why not?

• Like 2

Aha vitamin fight lol! Point is extra  c vitamin come out from body whit urine! D vitamin overdose can even get you to have  kidney problem!

Yes they have study that d vitamin avoid you to get serious covid but who knows for sure.

53 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Aha vitamin fight lol! Point is extra  c vitamin come out from body whit urine! D vitamin overdose can even get you to have  kidney problem!

Yes they have study that d vitamin avoid you to get serious covid but who knows for sure.

Right.

So don't megadose D and that isn't a problem  

• Like 1

Does anyone have reliable source that can tell us where was the epicenter of the third wave and who brought it here?

The second wave was quite clear, it came from Samut Sakhon seafood market but this third wave????

The options in this poll did nto mention a time frame.

certainly Thailand will get it under control eventually.

The question is how long will it take and how much worse will it get first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

The options in this poll did nto mention a time frame.

certainly Thailand will get it under control eventually.

The question is how long will it take and how much worse will it get first.

I read an article that stated the more pessimistic and negative your outlook on life tends to be.....the longer you live (in misery??)....the reason being if you have a negative outlook you plan carefully for the worst........So how long will it take....a long time....will it get much worse....a lot worse......

So I am not returning to Bangkok (out in the sticks, Isan presently) for the foreseeable and may well return to the UK just to get vaccinated.

Facts are facts...

How many people directly connect to oneself - family, relations, friends had got infected or died?

How many of ones neighbours have got infected or died?

Have you seen hospitals over flowing?

Have you seen mass burials?

(What one hear from 'reliable' or other sources are a different song...)