World's #1 food still Thai Massaman Curry - but UK's Fish and Chips and even Marmite beats Som Tam!

webfact

7 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Number 39: ketchup! ok... It seems we have bigger issues than Covid here

Probably harkens back to the Reagan era, when the Federal gub'ment tried to get a dollop of ketchup declared as a "serving of vegetables" for the school lunch programs. 

Anything to keep from giving away $0.14 worth of peas or carrots to those lazy freeloading children.

They did get the Massaman part right.  I love a good Massaman chicken.  And a good Peking Duck...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

My wife makes a lovely massaman and it is one of my favourites. Having said that he makes tasty Tom Yum and green curries too not to mention very passable pork sausages that would make an English butcher's dog salivate - and the butcher!  

One thing we do - she makes a very big massaman which does about 8 or 9 servings and I make about a half kilo of short pastry. We take some of her massaman and add cornflour to stiffen it up and I make massaman pasties for the freezer. Ideal when one gets a bit peckish.

She also makes me a pineapple puree and I make pineapple turnovers for the freezer too, 

I don't see how it's number one. 

It's a good dish when done well.

It's not on the majority of Thai menus in Thailand or I don't think globally at Thai restaurants.

I would have said number one is always PIZZA.

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, SiamRead said:

Seriously !  is ketchup a meal  ????

Well the standard joke, when I were a lad, at the mobile food poison dispensers (burger vans) in downtown Bath was:

"Is the ketchup free?"

"Yes."

"I'll have seven litres please!"

The poor so and so's who worked the vans must have been so bored with it!

Happy, innocent times, when you could, in your late teens, have a night on the <deleted> and the coppers were on hand at the bus station to make sure that you behaved yourself, got on the right bus, and no-one was left behind.

"Where do you live?"

"Combe Down"

You want the number 2, over there, get on and behave yourself or Copper Smith will be round to have a word with your Dad!"

Good times.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

Marmite on toast eh? Could we have a heated debate on the merits of Marmite V Vegemite? Hasn't been one of those here  for donkeys years.

I'll kick off: Vegemite is an insipid imitation, with a nasty lingering aftertaste vaguely reminiscent of the atmosphere on the Falls Road after a heavy night of rioting....

Over to you lot from the Antipodes!

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't see how it's number one. 

It's a good dish when done well.

It's not on the majority of Thai menus in Thailand or I don't think globally at Thai restaurants.

I would have said number one is always PIZZA.

I think you live in a tourist town. It is on the menu of many restaurants in Khon Kaen.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That explains the obesity problem. 

They're not obese, just large boned, big frames, it's the glands you know...

I remember, years ago, on my first night in the USA (Washington DC), witnessing a car accident. A car ended up upside down in the middle of the intersection. A police car turned up, The occupant was so fat that he had to recline the seat to get out!. He tossed a flare (presumably to warn traffic) into the road, amidst various fluids leaking from the upturned car. I don't know who was more surprised - the driver of the upturned car at being efficiently extracted from the wreck and given first aid by a bunch of British squaddies, or the fat policeman at being bollocked rigid for being so f'ing stupid!

His hand went to his pistol holster - until he was told "don't even think about it you fat knacker!"

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

What a crop report! In Germany a Hamburger is a citizen of Hamburg and trying to eat one would make you a cannibal.

Reminds me of the time President Kennedy stood on the podium and announced "Ich bin ein Berliner!"

The crowd went wild. Well they would. It is not often the President of The United States stands up and announces that he is a jam doughnut!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

From my understanding massaman is not even Thai, its Indonesian (Muslim).

Ketchup (tomato sauce really) and donuts is something to be culturally proud of lol.

Massaman curry is a rich, relatively mild Thai curry. Being a fusion dish, flavors originally brought by Muslim traders from Persia, the Indian subcontinent and Malay Archipelago are combined with more local, commonly used flavors to make massaman curry paste.

It could well have also travelled on to Indonesia, but origins seem to lay to the west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massaman_curry

• Like 1

4 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Reminds me of the time President Kennedy stood on the podium and announced "Ich bin ein Berliner!"

The crowd went wild. Well they would. It is not often the President of The United States stands up and announces that he is a jam doughnut!

You think the Berliners knew what a jam doughnut is ?

4 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Marmite on toast eh? Could we have a heated debate on the merits of Marmite V Vegemite? Hasn't been one of those here  for donkeys years.

I'll kick off: Vegemite is an insipid imitation, with a nasty lingering aftertaste vaguely reminiscent of the atmosphere on the Falls Road after a heavy night of rioting....

Over to you lot from the Antipodes!

I use Vegemite for shoe polish

ask "the people" and the result is complete nonsense.

how can we rid the world of the curse of social media. we should have seen it coming: there was a TV show where contestants had to guess the answers given by the public to questions like "we asked 100 persons..."  the answers were often untrue and sometimes completely daft.

can we have something like a "truth filter" on anything coming from "the people" please ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rwill said:

Thai's can't eat pizza without ketchup...

Never been to a pizzeria in Bangkok where people did that, but they do give away ketchup at pizza company so I'll take your word for it.

Still doesn't make things any better, Thais really don't have the best diet by far...

19 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Never underrstood this?

Massman curry probably doesn't even break the top 10 within Thailand?

It might not even break the top three in curries here?

It's not even Thai - it originated in Malaysia.  Som Tam is so disgusting it could be used as a contraceptive in many parts of Thailand.  I've passed over many a brown-eyed beauty as soon as I got close enough to tell they had eaten this dish within the last three days.

• Like 1

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from CNN has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Some people like a burger with their ketchup....

As for fish n chips and marmite that's a very distant memory.

I can recall the  smell of the salt and vinegar on hot chips from the chip shop right now.

Me too ....... but that memory is from 45 years in the past.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

"Ein Berliner" is German for a jam doughnut. It is one of the specialities of confectioners in the city.

Odd that, because I always thought it was a cocktail sausage.

Everyone laughed at Kennerdy's faux pas when he announced he was a 'cocktail sausage (Ich bin ein berlinner). I see wiki now runs with the donut definition, but 30 years back when there was no internet it was always cocktail sausage. With everything in the past being constantly redefined, it's hard to tell fact from fiction. I'm so old I can remember when 'gay' meant happy and carefree.

Edited by BritManToo

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Odd that, because I always thought it was a cocktail sausage.

Everyone laughed at Kennerdy's faux pas when he announced he was a 'cocktail sausage (Ich bin ein berlinner). I see wiki now runs with the donut definition, but 30 years back when there was no internet it was always cocktail sausage. With everything in the past being constantly redefined, it's hard to tell fact from fiction. I'm so old I can remember when 'gay' meant happy and carefree.

"Afterward it would be suggested that Kennedy had got the translation wrong—that by using the article ein before the word Berliner, he had mistakenly called himself a jelly doughnut. In fact, Kennedy was correct. To state Ich bin Berliner would have suggested being born in Berlin, whereas adding the word ein implied being a Berliner in spirit. His audience understood that he meant to show his solidarity".

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/08/the-real-meaning-of-ich-bin-ein-berliner/309500/