Three boys, aged 3, 5 and 7 drown in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

20012543.jpg

Image: Thairath

Three boys, aged 3, 5 and 7, have died after drowning in a 2 metre deep ditch in the Bang Bon district of Bangkok on Saturday.

Police and rescue workers were called to the scene at Soi 133 on Ekkachai Road following a report the boys had disappeared while swimming.

Thai Rath reported the ditch where the boys drowned was in the process of being made into a fruit orchard and was around 2 metres deep.

Rescuers recovered the three boys, who were in kindergarten and grade 1, and performed CPR before they were rushed to nearby hospitals.

The three boys were pronounced dead a short while later.

According to one of the people who searched for the boys, the children lived in the nearby Mankhong 133 community and often played on the plot of land together. 

Thai Rath said the boys had been left in the care of relatives while their parents went out to work. 

Neighbours said they found the boy’s shoes at the ditch but could not find the boys. It was then that the alarm was raised.

Thai Rath said it took rescuers one hour to recover the boys before they were rushed to hospital. 

Drowning is the leading cause of death among children aged under 15 in Thailand. 

According to a Public Health Ministry report, 10,923 children under the age of 15 drowned in Thailand between 2006 and 2015.

Another MOPH report released in 2009 said approximately 4 children per day or 1,500 children per year die from drowning in Thailand.

Most drownings tend to occur between the months of March to May, which typically are the schools holidays. 

The majority of drownings take place in areas as reported above, such as in ponds, ditches or reservoirs where there is often no warning signs, fences, adult supervision or access to life saving equipment. 

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Instead of marching them up and down in the playground and dressing them up as nurses and boy scouts and reciting how great the nation and  all that <deleted> why not  introduce compulsory swimming  lessons like  we had when I was at school.

Tragic and very sad.

And yes, my home country in the 60's was no more 'developed' than Thailand is now -  but we were all taught to swim as kids .... in my case by a fierce swimming teacher and we all feared if we didn't learn to swim fast, she'd drown us all.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

As kids, we'd disappear in  the morning, only showing up at lunch and dinner.  Nobody supervised us.  We chased butterflies, played baseball, tag and army, climbed trees and did what kids do.   And that was the entire neighborhood.

And we learned to find friends, form relationships, pick up teams, negotiate trades and resolve conflicts on our own.  We had 2 rules.  No crossing the freeway and no swimming in Butterfield Creek.  (Okay- 3.  No throwing apples at passing cars)

Tragic as it is that these kids drowned, I don't blame the adults for just letting them be kids.

Teaching kids to swim is a double edge sword.  On one hand, it can save their lives.  But on the other, it emboldens them to the water.  My guess is that the kids went in and couldn't get back out because of the slippery nature of the banks on a construction project.

I, too disappeared alone in the woods even in the winter time.  But maybe age 7-8,  NOT 3 or 5.  And we didn't throw tomatoes or snowballs at cars until we were 12 or more.  ???? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Instead of marching them up and down in the playground and dressing them up as nurses and boy scouts and reciting how great the nation and  all that <deleted> why not  introduce compulsory swimming  lessons like  we had when I was at school.

There is a swimming pool at a school where I taught a few years ago but no instructor, a Thai teacher that couldn't swim. I offered to teach them but it was refused because they wanted to teach them the Thai way not the Farang way and it would make Thai look stupid.

RIP little fellows you have a year from me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Kernell said:

There is a swimming pool at a school where I taught a few years ago but no instructor, a Thai teacher that couldn't swim. I offered to teach them but it was refused because they wanted to teach them the Thai way not the Farang way and it would make Thai look stupid.

RIP little fellows you have a year from me.

And what in the  name of **** is the Thai way of teaching to swim?

But anyway knowing how in this instance probably not much help because of the depth of sticky mud in the holes would have trapped them.

A sad event for sure

Fifty two years ago an American family in Thailand was having a dinner at an official's home in Thailand.......he the recently discharged helicopter pilot from the Marines, then a pilot for Air America.  The wife a mother of a young boy and expectant mother of a girl.  She inside with guests, he out on the patio with other guests.  She thought the son was with the father and the father thought he was with the mother.  The young boy drowned in a small klong behind the governor's home.  He's buried in a Catholic cemetery here in Udon.....one of the earliest Americans to be buried there.  Tragedies happen......I'd hesitate to be pointing fingers in this case unless I knew all the details.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gunderhill said:

THat's what I did when I found out they did not like water as their mother scared them. 

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The majority of drownings take place in areas as reported above, such as in ponds, ditches or reservoirs where there is often no warning signs, fences, adult supervision or access to life saving equipment.

In addition, virtually none of these children have been taught to swim.  A satang worth of prevention is worth a 100 THB worth of tragedy.

My own wife lost her first son to drowning at 7.  Absolutely tragic.
RIP young ones.

God that sucks poor little guys my deepest condolences to the bereaved family’s a lesson to us all make your kids water safe it Will take your life sadly over the years I’ve seen it happen all to many times poor kids sad

2 hours ago, bangon04 said:

"Drowning is the leading cause of death among children aged under 15 in Thailand. "

then they grow up to die in motorcycle accidents......

Just what I was thinking . Age 16 to 20 biggest cause of death is most likely motorcycle accidents.