Two men injured as pickup slams into stopped garbage truck

webfact

1619757964_1-org.jpg

Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Two men were injured when the driver of a pickup truck fell asleep at the wheel and ploughed into the back of a stopped garbage truck on Thepkrasattri Rd in Koh Kaew in the early hours of this morning (Apr 30).

Lt ML Sanya Suksawat of the Phuket City Police was called to the scene, on the southbound lanes of Thepkrasattri Rd about 200 metres south of the Isuzu showroom, at about 3am.

Police together with Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived to find a black Phuket-registered Isuzu pickup truck with massive damage to its front.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/two-men-injured-as-pickup-slams-into-stopped-garbage-truck-79846.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-04-30

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think its about time Thailand banned pickups... 

Pickups clearly are a problem.....  this is the 2nd news story today of a pickup being involved in an accident. 

<yes - for those unable to tell, this was sarcasm>

and how many car and bike accidents as well??

Nah. The pick-ups are fine...

It is just that the driver is on the phone, lighting up a cigarette, talking with his passenger, checking the route to get to destination, and checking his watch wondering if he can be on time, while passing on the left and right to stay ahead of the traffic.. All of that checking his supply of wake-up pills, just in case.

Pick-ups, yeah, they are fine...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good point... Ban cars and motorbikes too..... In fact I feel a crackdown coming on... Thailand the Hub of Road Safety !!!! ????

'Thailand the Hub of Horses'. It's got a ring to it.

11 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

That is going to take a lot of Tcut to polish out ????

luckily he is only 200 metres from the Isuzu showroom, so should be back on the road in about a week.........

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Two men were injured when the driver of a pickup truck fell asleep at the wheel and ploughed into the back of a stopped garbage truck on Thepkrasattri Rd in Koh Kaew in the early hours of this morning (Apr 30).

In the "early hours" should have been asleep at home in bed not behind the wheel.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think its about time Thailand banned pickups... 

Pickups clearly are a problem.....  this is the 2nd news story today of a pickup being involved in an accident. 

<yes - for those unable to tell, this was sarcasm>

Pick-up's are inanimate objects.

The problem starts when the driver gets behind the steering wheel.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good point... Ban cars and motorbikes too..... In fact I feel a crackdown coming on... Thailand the Hub of Road Safety !!!! ????

Thailand is an obvious country to mass introduce driverless cars. But even then, I'm sure that Somchai would find a way to re-engineer it to overcome any restrictions the on-board computers might impose.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Never known a country where so many people fall asleep at the wheel.   Sometimes i wonder how much these people have had to drink for several days/nights before.  Another factor in my opinion is the way they sleep at home as whenever i look inside Rural Homes it appears they all sleep on the floor, many in the same room and i fail to see how anyone gets a proper nights sleep like that.

Just what I was thinking Budleigh . When it's hot like most days around here , the quietest part of the day is the afternoon . Not sure if the European siesta is the same as they go out at night on the town without crashing their vehicles . Another factor of course is here many have never had a bike licence then progress to 4 wheels. and still no licence , don't take driving seriously hence so many crashes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Or the Thai drivers..........just a thought

Actually banning both with be a step in the right direction perhaps????

Edited by Excel

21 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Similar to horses.  Years ago a mate out in the styx said  ' Before Honda Waves there were buffaloes , when they came round a corner and the driver was mau on laokhao the buffaloes looked at each other and then safely passed each other.' How things have changed.

I always said some countries/societies are broght up-to-date with latest technology too quickly, for example here they needed a couple of hundred years more on carts and horses before combustion engines.... ???? - I fear the same with mobile phones, see some young Thais have no life except watching Tiktok and Facebook all day....! ????

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 2