Why do you live in Thailand?

Kanada

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Philippines is a great place, plus it has the added advantage that the alphabet is like ours and the language easier to pick up. Good restaurants and you can converse with some of the women. But it is more expensive than Thailand, and you won't get many of the western items you can get in Chiang Mai or Bangkok or Pattaya. Much more prone to natural disasters as well. But the dealbreaker: Internet is terrible compared to Thailand.

This reaffirms my believe that Thailand is, hands down; bums up, the best place to be in Asia, maybe besides Vietnam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Its a very personal thing, Cambodia; run by criminals, very poor human rights record, poor medical facilities, too many Chinese  chasing girls and gambling, a centre for under age abuse;  not a place for me.  Vietnam, great to visit, beautiful country, but not very advanced medical facilities, poor infrastructure, although getting better but I could not live permanently in a communist run country.  Laos, like going back 200 years in development. I wasn't born in the 20th Century to then live in the 18th. 

Exactly, Cambodia and Vietnam have potential, but they don't beat Thailand, I don't think.

It is a no-brainer. Where else in Asia offers what Thailand does?

• Like 1

Off the top of my head:

1. My kid is getting an education she wouldn't have in the West (believe it or not).

2. Thailand isn't an asylum seeker pit turning into Somalia.

3. I earn the same (more probably) than what I was earning back west and the work is more enjoyable.

4.Asia is the future. Re: I have kids here.

3. The birds

4. Free health insurance here

5. Teacher holidays

6. Less boring life in general; variety is the spice of life

7. The weather, mostly, better

8. Happy friendly people/environment , more so

9. Been here most of my adult life, so feels like home.

10. Wouldn't want to separate my kids from my EX, even though she is a pain in the <deleted> 

All in all, I am more content here if my memory serves me right

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Australia appears to be a completely broken economy. Prices are out of control. Sheer insanity. 

Current Australian cinema fees: (main stream city cinema complex, standard seat, standard screen) 

$25.00 

$20.00 for a pensioner. 

From what I’ve researched, the most expensive in the (English speaking) world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Its a very personal thing, Cambodia; run by criminals, very poor human rights record, poor medical facilities, too many Chinese  chasing girls and gambling, a centre for under age abuse;  not a place for me.  Vietnam, great to visit, beautiful country, but not very advanced medical facilities, poor infrastructure, although getting better but I could not live permanently in a communist run country.  Laos, like going back 200 years in development. I wasn't born in the 20th Century to then live in the 18th. 

makes sense--tnx for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Current Australian cinema fees: (main stream city cinema complex, standard seat, standard screen) 

$25.00 

$20.00 for a pensioner. 

Canada is about $12. standard

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

$25.00 

$20.00 for a pensioner. 

I can’t imagine anyone paying that price with all the other venues for movies and popcorn

On 5/19/2021 at 3:18 PM, EVENKEEL said:

The pic is from PI, Baloy Beach

Yup, I knew it was the Philippines from the outrigger boat in the picture. I've never been there so I was just saying what I did in LOS. No interest in overbuilt beaches that disappear at high tide ( whatever country they are in ), no matter how many girls they have on the party boat.

16 hours ago, Logosone said:

I think so. I mean Philippines has not just terrible internet but also a lot more power cuts.

Overall, great people, western products, fast internet, good food, best massages, Thailand is hard to beat.

Not being personal, but I think it's all gone terribly wrong when people judge a country based on it's internet. IMO LOS was 100% better before the internet. It could be coincidental, but the quality of life ( for me as a tourist with money ) in LOS decreased as the internet access got better. The girls certainly got greedier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

$25.00 

$20.00 for a pensioner. 

Surely people must be staying away in droves at that price, or do they just earn so much that it's affordable?

London was expensive, but UGC cinemas had a card that one paid the price of 3 movies for and got unlimited movies for a month, so great deal if one went to lots of movies like I did.

16 hours ago, 2009 said:

Any stories you'd like to share?

I'd love to here a few.

I have dozens that I could tell about life as a tourist in LOS when it really was a paradise, but they are probably too "naughty" for TVF.

However, there are loads of books about it. If in LOS Asia books have them for sale.

PS I don't include Private Dancer, which is not very good IMO.

Just now, Isaan sailor said:

Divorce destroyed my comfortable retirement in USA.  Now have a better retirement here with a lovely Thai woman (as long as the Baht behaves).

Divorce destroyed my comfortable retirement in LOS. The wrong women are of every nationality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Divorce destroyed my comfortable retirement in USA.  Now have a better retirement here with a lovely Thai woman (as long as the Baht behaves).

Divorce has a way of doing that...been there and even have the tshirt????

I truly believe I have a better life here than I had or would have in CANADA ???? I found people to be basically unhappy about their lives...divorce is rampant...taxes are crazy and if you own a home and a vehicle with upkeep and insurance you need $5000 a month just to break even...that’s no holidays or new cars etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not being personal, but I think it's all gone terribly wrong when people judge a country based on it's internet. IMO LOS was 100% better before the internet. It could be coincidental, but the quality of life ( for me as a tourist with money ) in LOS decreased as the internet access got better. The girls certainly got greedier.

I certainly think it's better to have internet. And if you have it it's better to have the very fast internet you get in Thailand. Certainly women would have got greedier, but what else was better before? Just curious.

Because its still more fun and just better overall living, for all it's chaos, than Mexico, the UK, Australia, Cambodia, Colombia, The Phillippines, the USA, and Africa, all of which I have lived and or worked in.

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

$25.00 

$20.00 for a pensioner. 

An American naturalized Aussie pal of mine used to tell the jokey riddle: Why do Australians pay so much for everything? Because they do! The point being that it is just the land of apathy. The myth of the Aussie rebel is just that, sadly, in almost 30 years, i saw Aussies bend over on every broken promise and take it , remeber the promise of the harbour Bridge being free once it was paid off? Rember the toaster being built next to the Opera House and destroying the views from the park landscaping that almost met the waterside? I do.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

I certainly think it's better to have internet. And if you have it it's better to have the very fast internet you get in Thailand. Certainly women would have got greedier, but what else was better before? Just curious.

Talking only about Thailand, what was better before:-

the beaches were brilliant and not destroyed by concrete

Samui and Phuket were worth staying at

the people were genuinely friendly- the smile departed Thailand about the time the internet arrived

it didn't cost an arm and a leg to stay in a nice cabin with ensuite almost on the edge of the sand

obesity was pretty much unknown by ordinary folk

the pace of life was more pleasant

it was much more interesting as it wasn't overdeveloped

Pattaya was waaaaaay better

the girls were much more friendly

gogos were waaaay better and the DJs played proper music

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Because its still more fun and just better overall living, for all it's chaos, than Mexico, the UK, Australia, Cambodia, Colombia, The Phillippines, the USA, and Africa, all of which I have lived and or worked in.

You can add NZ to that list. Not much fun here anymore.

BTW, do you really think it's better to have a generation that can't live without an internet capable phone attached to their hand, obsessing about social media?

I don't.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You can add NZ to that list. Not much fun here anymore.

Canada is the same....not crowded and beautiful but it seems everyone is under some sort of pressure!

Money, taxes, social status, bigger better faster harder have are what is forefront in everyone’s mind!

When I first noticed a line up of food delivery services  picking up coffees   and delivering them to “rental” apartments with $80,000 vehicles parked in the parking stalls it was a bit of a surprise.....but it was the start of people feeling overwhelmed with no chance of ever reaching their goals! So many have just given up.....borrowed what they can and live month to month in hopes of winning the lottery!

When a population feels overwhelmed they react differently and there’s a feeling of something bad is going to happen...it’s almost palpable!

Its not everywhere but it’s growing in the middle class and that’s a bad place to have trouble like that

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, do you really think it's better to have a generation that can't live without an internet capable phone attached to their hand, obsessing about social media?

I don't.

I think you’re seeing only part of it and I don’t disagree with that but there’s so much more to it...the positives are everywhere too!

Just now, Kanada said:

I think you’re seeing only part of it and I don’t disagree with that but there’s so much more to it...the positives are everywhere too!

I'll admit that I'm an internet addict, but it it didn't exist I'd have done far better things with my time than sit behind a computer.

Hopefully one day I can close the computer and never start it again, but not just yet.

I could have read a thousand books with the time I spent on forums.

I never managed to get the women I wanted in the west before internet either.

As far as I can see absolutely everything has got better in modern times except my health.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll admit that I'm an internet addict, but it it didn't exist I'd have done far better things with my time than sit behind a computer.

Hopefully one day I can close the computer and never start it again, but not just yet.

I could have read a thousand books with the time I spent on forums.

Haha....we’ve read a thousand books!

Ny Grandmother had 11 kids and remembered the change in their house when radio came out (no o e played music for her after dinner any more like they always did and the Model T was going to destroy the world as she knew it !

My Dad was worried because I was always reading....then one day I bought a motorcycle....then I bought a 1956 Ford Victoria and I’m sure he wished I was back reading books instead of leaving rubber at the end of our driveway and stealing gas from his tank????

I remember going downstairs and my two youngest boys were both buried in books...all they ever wanted was the next book in the next series...then one day they started to play video games blah blah blah....

You can watch National Geo. On your phone....watch WW2 (the big one)  in a corner of your corner of your computor screen while you do quarterly or annual updates for work!

A four year old can Discover nature and watch animal kingdoms to a point where there won’t be any more zoos some day!

want to learn how to garden?

want to redo the engine on your lawn mower or your kids car....there’s an app for that

want to shop for investments or diamond rings or furniture

want to order microwave popcorn and have it delivered for the hockey game tomorrow night 

name it and you’ve got it at your fingertips...you can use it or abuse it but do t complain about

Lead follow or get the hell out of the way.....????

This is where we live....this is who we are????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chalawaan said:

An American naturalized Aussie pal of mine used to tell the jokey riddle: Why do Australians pay so much for everything? Because they do! 

Yep, Aussies pay over-the-odds for just about everything. Tech giants like Apple and Microsoft have been ripping them off for a long time  - refer link from around 8 years ago regarding the “50% extra Australia tax”

And if you smoke cigarettes in Australia?! 
OMG A brand-name pack of 25s must be around $50 these days. 

Found this on an international tobacco site dated last year:

“In May 2016, the Australian Government announced that it would implement annual increases in tobacco excise of 12.5% up to and including 2020, raising the cost of a pack of cigarettes to $A40. This increase will lead to Australia having one of the highest prices of cigarettes in the world.”

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-22/apple-microsoft-grilled-over-high-prices/4587900?nw=0

Edited by Nemises