Name two professions that you feel deserve more appreciation

1) Pretties 

The pretties make the world a better place, car shows more enjoyable and I always chose which pub to go to based on the standard of the pretties. Having them take care if my beer, never letting it get warm or empty truly is a beautiful part of life in Thailand. They have the added benefit of intimidating western feminists.

2) Silicon breast doctors. Helping the flat or saggy chested with their appeal and confidence.

Everyone likes a nice chest.

images.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

1) Pretties 

The pretties make the world a better place, car shows more enjoyable and I always chose which pub to go to based on the standard of the pretties. Having them take care if my beer, never letting it get warm or empty truly is a beautiful part of life in Thailand. They have the added benefit of intimidating western feminists.

2) Silicon breast doctors. Helping the flat or saggy chested with their appeal and confidence.

1) Can add coyotes to that.

2) in moderation. I can't imagine how horrible an old woman will look with huge plastic boobs.

Hospital staff in General  _ they seem to go out of their way to help and are really dedicated but overworked and at the government level under paid.

Qualified NES teachers - They bust their assets everyday and in most schools they are just there for window dressing and to get more money out of parents.  It would be nice if people actually listened to them and made there lessons count for something.

Guards at our different subdivisions - man these guys help a lot have to sit outside or in a hot building all day and really do not get that much appreciation from people

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

1) Can add coyotes to that.

2) in moderation. I can't imagine how horrible an old woman will look with huge plastic boobs.

1) they are pretties.

2)a bit better than an old woman with an old set of saggers IMO

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to google a degree is now required to become a nurse in the UK.

I had an operation in a well known London hospital in 2005 and  the only nurse I thought was excellent was a night nurse that did hospital training, the rest were university educated. One nurse I had ( unfortunately ) didn't even know how to remove sutures, and I had to go back to surgery to have my wound re sutured.

Part of the problem is that people don't want to be nurses anymore, because pay is so low and uni fees so high, which is why they have to get so many overseas nurses. No such problem when people did hospital training and got paid to work while training, which is what I did.

When I worked in an NHS hospital they got rid of all the Aussie agency nurses ( cost too much ) which were excellent, and hired nurses from Africa instead ( cheaper ). The African nurses worked in the NHS, whereas the Aussies wouldn't because the pay was so bad. In the end, recruitment was so poor that they were forced to put up wages of the nurses, just to get some nurses to work.

Thanks for that. In my experience the NHS is process driven instead of catering for the needs of individual patients. For as long as I can remember they have always been 'strapped for cash'. A friend recently had skin cancer removed from his ankle. He was discharged and told District Nurses have been instructed to attend to wound management. At home one nurse arrived, took a look and said 'I've never seen anything like this, I'll have to go away and ask for help'. She returned with another nurse whose face told the same story. Between them they changed his dressing and bandaged him up. This continued twice a week for three months. He had to go back to hospital for progress check. The Polish nurse shouted at him for being stupid. 'We told you nurses would call, if they didn't you should have contacted your GP, not done it yourself!'. He replied that he hadn't done anything. The nurse explained that the wound had 'granulated' with scar tissue that now required removing, putting the healing process back. She was furious saying 'If we'd done this in Poland we wouldn't have a job'.    

I already appreciate the following so I don't need to adjust my opinion of them. Specifically anyone performing manual work. At the same time I'd slash the salaries of anyone tapping data into a computer or 'project managers' for example.  From experience I've been involved with local authorities where they spend more time recording a job ( and the endless list of criteria ) than the job itself.

I would include most of the emergency services in deserving more credit.  

Edited by DaLa
Clarification

There are so many disrespected groups that it is difficult to pick just two: 

1) Hi-so's who selflessly try to end the inequality between rich and poor in Thailand, yet, Sisyphus-like they fail and all they time and get richer and richer while the poor starve.

2) The government....yes all of it....wouldn't it be nice if they could find just a few people to be in the government who weren't such self-serving liars and/or idiots.

and 3) sex workers and bar girls....

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

in moderation. I can't imagine how horrible an old woman will look with huge plastic boobs.

I googled it for you,i was shocked i tell you,shocked!

Sorry to go off topic just a little bit,some of the answers just have a song written all over them.

I count at least eight,first one,The Philadelphia International All-Stars

I am not going to place links.

For the topic,

Most of the Thai workers in the tourists industry right now,so many used to work hard for so little and now all they have is hope.

stand up comics,some of them never even get up.

Edited by jvs

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

1) Pretties 

images.jpeg

Very true, when I married my UK ex she had big breasts and long legs, when I left she had long breasts and big legs. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Plus imagine living without modern dentistry.

Given the cost of modern dentistry, most people living on this planet do just that.  I had friends who were very well-to-do dentists.  I asked them about their views on people who could not afford there services.  They were quite blunt.  "Have their teeth pulled and get dentures."  The dentists I knew were not philanthropists. The service of most are out of the reach of a large population of people unless subsidized or socialized. 
Otherwise good people but they did live large and didn't have much empathy for those out of their social group. 

Egyptian-toothless-smile.jpg

1 minute ago, connda said:

Given the cost of modern dentistry, most people living on this planet do just that.  I had friends who were very well-to-do dentists.  I asked them about their views on people who could not afford there services.  They were quite blunt.  "Have their teeth pulled and get dentures."  The dentists I knew were not philanthropists. The service of most are out of the reach of a large population of people unless subsidized or socialized. 
Otherwise good people but they did live large and didn't have much empathy for those out of their social group. 

Egyptian-toothless-smile.jpg

Fair enough. I wasn't really talking about their good hearts but more about their skill and usefulness. As far as pulling teeth and dentures people still need some level of dental care to do that too.

It's amazing how painful teeth are when there are problems. 

Bagpipe players. To play well, even through all the jokes and screaming  cats.

It is a damn tough instrument!

And.... neighbors of bagpipe players.

Edited by PeterA
  • Like 2

I cannot speak for everywhere in the world but dentists in the UK - half of National Health Dentists in the UK said they wanted to leave their profession because of the pressure of the covid conditions, having to deal with very <deleted> of (and sometimes aggressive) customers and bureaucracy of the health service.

Only when they are gone will be notice how important they were. Dentists. Polish craftsmen in the UK - everyone was keen to get rid of them and now they are gone you cannot get plumbers, bricklayers or electricians in certain parts of the UK.

Even hospitality workers. Some of them were foreigners and they have long gone now. Others were Brits and they found another way of earning a crust during the lockdown. Suddenly, all the chain pubs and restaurants can't find staff. Now you miss them when they are gone (after they have been very badly paid under poor working conditions etc).

Nurses in the UK. Yes, we clapped like hell for them but gave them a miserable 1% increase on top of what was already a devalued salary in the first place. Again, it will be harder or impossible to hire the European ones now. And many of the non-European foreign ones find the spiteful pay-special-extra fees for this and that, including for their health care, a bit much. And so they are going to other countries where the welcome is nicer.

I think we are beginning to see a pattern here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

I cannot speak for everywhere in the world but dentists in the UK - half of National Health Dentists in the UK said they wanted to leave their profession because of the pressure of the covid conditions, having to deal with very <deleted> of (and sometimes aggressive) customers and bureaucracy of the health service.

Only when they are gone will be notice how important they were. Dentists. Polish craftsmen in the UK - everyone was keen to get rid of them and now they are gone you cannot get plumbers, bricklayers or electricians in certain parts of the UK.

Even hospitality workers. Some of them were foreigners and they have long gone now. Others were Brits and they found another way of earning a crust during the lockdown. Suddenly, all the chain pubs and restaurants can't find staff. Now you miss them when they are gone (after they have been very badly paid under poor working conditions etc).

Nurses in the UK. Yes, we clapped like hell for them but gave them a miserable 1% increase on top of what was already a devalued salary in the first place. Again, it will be harder or impossible to hire the European ones now. And many of the non-European foreign ones find the spiteful pay-special-extra fees for this and that, including for their health care, a bit much. And so they are going to other countries where the welcome is nicer.

I think we are beginning to see a pattern here.

I'm not at all surprised that dentists are stressed out. During my recent barrage of dental work I voiced praise to my dentist for his skill and my appreciation of his profession. While he may well have thought I was crazy as what he does is so routine for him and his fees aren't cheap, I did feel that it was something he rarely if ever hears from patients.

Edited by Jingthing

1)   Pickpockets....  they have had such a hard time since the introduction of the social distancing habit. They really suffer when they try to approach a victim and they get glared at....

2) Airport limo / taxi drivers...  it has become a buyers market. They almost need to justify their fees, like the tuktuk drivers in Phuket.

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to google a degree is now required to become a nurse in the UK.

I had an operation in a well known London hospital in 2005 and  the only nurse I thought was excellent was a night nurse that did hospital training, the rest were university educated. One nurse I had ( unfortunately ) didn't even know how to remove sutures, and I had to go back to surgery to have my wound re sutured.

Part of the problem is that people don't want to be nurses anymore, because pay is so low and uni fees so high, which is why they have to get so many overseas nurses. No such problem when people did hospital training and got paid to work while training, which is what I did.

When I worked in an NHS hospital they got rid of all the Aussie agency nurses ( cost too much ) which were excellent, and hired nurses from Africa instead ( cheaper ). The African nurses worked in the NHS, whereas the Aussies wouldn't because the pay was so bad. In the end, recruitment was so poor that they were forced to put up wages of the nurses, just to get some nurses to work.

I thought all the nurses were now Filipinas....  and all the doctors were Indians...

17 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

It would be nice if people actually listened to them and made there lessons count for something.

No kidding. I've seen a lot of good teachers go to waste, affected by a total lack of support, or staff drama serving no purpose other than feeding predatory egos. Teachers who put in extra effort get penalized rather than praised, as they make the others who want to kick back look bad. Most foreign teachers get a horrible rap for being phonies just putting on a show, so they can grab their check and go party. Even if that were the case for the majority, which I don't believe it is, the kids getting some education from them is better than none. Many Thai teachers spend most of their time in the office or attending BS meetings, only occasionally visiting classrooms to drop off worksheet packets.

Agree with the sex worker comments. Man, when I had first escaped my troubled US state years ago, where getting the time of day from a lady is quite a feat, or likely to have you brought up on harassment charges, being able to strike up a convo in a BKK bar and have it quickly move into something more affectionate, was a godsend. We both got the support we needed.