British Navy looks to hold Phuket visit

snoop1130

Just now, Crossy said:

Quite possibly it originated on the wireless, I'm sure I remember it on TV, but that could be a false memory it was a long time ago. 

Always on the wireless, 1pm Sundays I think. Listened to it regularly, the Light program if my memory serves me correctly

There's also the suggestion it started in the Rag Mags, from the Wiki

Libel case regarding double entendres

There is a persistent urban legend, repeated by the now defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, that ascribes sexually suggestive names – such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger (meaning "have sex with") the Cabin Boy – to Captain Pugwash's characters, and indicating that the captain's name was a slang Australian term for oral sex.[5] The origin of this myth is likely due to student rag mags from the 1970s.[6]

John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact.[7]

That other stalwart of 70s childrens programming, The Clangers, really did have a "language" problem. The pilot episode didn't have the narration, just the clangers whistling. The BBC loved it, but asked the makers Smallfilms to add the narration and "tone down the language". If you watch episode 1 of the original series, there is no doubt whatever that Major Clanger says "oh no the bloody thing's stuck again" when his hangar door gets jammed ???? 

Note: Scripts were written in English and then intonated using the signature slide-whistle.

15 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I remember Navy Lark on BBC radio.  But cant remember on TV.

Navy Lark never made it to the small screen. 

My "memory" is of something like Not the Nine O'clock News doing the Pugwash thing, likely BBC 2 after the watershed. 

It doesn't really matter if it never happened, it's fun, like the Neil Armstrong / Mr Gorsky myth.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Navy Lark never made it to the small screen. 

My "memory" is of something like Not the Nine O'clock News doing the Pugwash thing, likely BBC 2 after the watershed. 

It doesn't really matter if it never happened, it's fun, like the Neil Armstrong / Mr Gorsky myth.

Not the small screen but it did make the big screen. Never thought it much good though as almost all different people and it sounded more whimsical on the radio. But alas those days are gone along with, much later on TV,  "the Benny Hill show" and others that would never be allowed now due to the fact the world has gone down the PC correct gutter in my opinion, but I digress, this is about the RN coming to Phuket, the only link being that in the late 1950's , the time of the Navy Lark  is that we still actually had a decent navy rather than now a shadow of it's former self.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

The first episode of Sailor aired on 5 August 1976. The documentary series was introduced in the Radio Times as "a frank account of life on the ocean waves in one of her majesty’s ships", the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal. The BBC filmed over a period of ten weeks, producing ten episodes, giving viewers unprecedented access to life above and below deck. Sailor’s theme tune was Sailing, sung by Rod Stewart, which re-entered the charts as a result and became his most successful UK single.

ExExcellent chance for the Royal Navy to load up with 500000 jabs for their Expats. Plenty of room in the QE2 and helicopters to fly them to Pattaya or fast launch to Sattahip. I would even travel to Phuket if the Navy delivered and administered them. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, phetphet said:

Wasn't there a TV program  a couple of years ago when  a British naval ship visited Phuket and the sailors got the jetski scam?

Saw it on a thread only this week.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

There's also the suggestion it started in the Rag Mags, from the Wiki

Libel case regarding double entendres

There is a persistent urban legend, repeated by the now defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, that ascribes sexually suggestive names – such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger (meaning "have sex with") the Cabin Boy – to Captain Pugwash's characters, and indicating that the captain's name was a slang Australian term for oral sex.[5] The origin of this myth is likely due to student rag mags from the 1970s.[6]

John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact.[7]

That other stalwart of 70s childrens programming, The Clangers, really did have a "language" problem. The pilot episode didn't have the narration, just the clangers whistling. The BBC loved it, but asked the makers Smallfilms to add the narration and "tone down the language". If you watch episode 1 of the original series, there is no doubt whatever that Major Clanger says "oh no the bloody thing's stuck again" when his hangar door gets jammed ???? 

Note: Scripts were written in English and then intonated using the signature slide-whistle.

And Bill and Ben was an homage to that Mary Joanna stuff. Little Weed anyone? Flower Pot?

Flob a lob.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, champers said:

And Bill and Ben was an homage to that Mary Joanna stuff. Little Weed anyone? Flower Pot?

Flob a lob.

That made me laugh.  I got into a discussion with my wife about UK TV 60 years ago  and I mentioned that in my childhood we had children's hour on Beeb Before close down until the 6 o'clock news. Described the programs and pulled up on Utube to show here. Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy, The River Side, etc 

Despite what the UK government says I would love this ship sail slowly through the Taiwan straights, especially now that China has moved its dredgers back there.  Forget this idea about not rubbing their noses in it.  Just Do It.

Edited by Showtime

i as i  a brit have  a question and a statement,why are you sending our military personnel here?this is a feudal corrupt autocracy,it would appear we are giving clandestine backing to this regime and mindset at the same moment by this action.  mein kampf regularily appears from govt house in a thai version,its almost a daily bulletin.get out of here what the hell is the foreign office up to,we should be downgrading our diplomatic cards with such a disgusting regime,all the hypocrisy spouted about democracy and inclusiveness,diversity ahh well got to have a few corrupt nazis i guess so long as theyre not white.shame on you ,most brits i know have nothing but contempt for the uk govts actions in this repsect.i wonder if all the emb staff heading there have had the jab ahhh of course thats where my tax is goin,to their pension too.they dont trust this govt  but sod the rest of us,theyve got my money and arnt going to be held responsible for their actions or lack of them.

2 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

i as i  a brit have  a question and a statement,why are you sending our military personnel here?this is a feudal corrupt autocracy,it would appear we are giving clandestine backing to this regime and mindset at the same moment by this action.  mein kampf regularily appears from govt house in a thai version,its almost a daily bulletin.get out of here what the hell is the foreign office up to,we should be downgrading our diplomatic cards with such a disgusting regime,all the hypocrisy spouted about democracy and inclusiveness,diversity ahh well got to have a few corrupt nazis i guess so long as theyre not white.shame on you ,most brits i know have nothing but contempt for the uk govts actions in this repsect.i wonder if all the emb staff heading there have had the jab ahhh of course thats where my tax is goin,to their pension too.they dont trust this govt  but sod the rest of us,theyve got my money and arnt going to be held responsible for their actions or lack of them.

Where do you live?