How striker "Mr Dicko" got back into Thailand despite 10 year ban - to play football in League 3

webfact

Changing his date of birth by six years was apparently enough to stop his previous biometrics being matched.

I have long suspected that the biometric system does not poll the entire archive of fingerprints. This case suggests that they fragment it by age. I wonder if they also segment it by nationality, or groups of nationalities.

For example, someone who enters one year on a Chinese passport is unlikely to enter the following year on a German passport, so, there would be little point in polling all the stored German fingerprints every time you are processing a Chinese visitor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poet said:

For example, someone who enters one year on a Chinese passport is unlikely to enter the following year on a German passport, so, there would be little point in polling all the stored German fingerprints every time you are processing a Chinese visitor.

And yet I thought part of its function was to catch those using dual nationalities to evade the system. 

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And yet I thought part of its function was to catch those using dual nationalities to evade the system. 

Well, I have no idea which criteria they may be using to narrow the selection, but this case suggests age is one. Six years in this case, could it be less? Could they be using the exact birth date, or the entire year, or the year and one more year on either side?

For nationality, we can guess that certain passport pairs are extremely common, such as Ireland/UK, while others may be very rare, for instance pairs in which one of the countries does not allow dual nationality.

This is all just guessing, and it would be hard to gather enough examples such as this one to build up a comprehensive picture of what they're doing. I have always been aware, however, that checking against hundreds of millions of fingerprints on every entry, from every port of entry, was not possible with the systems available at the time they introduced this system.

The implication is that, if entering on a high-quality fake passport, making yourself a few years older might be enough to avoid matching with fingerprints stored from a previous visit on a different passport.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

How can this fool a properly working biometrics system? Did he change his hands as well?

I predict he'll be wear some sort of fingerprint plastic prosthetic taken from some unsuspecting victim in the Ivory Coast (or England). He can grow a beard, dye his hair blond, tie the hair in dreadlocks and no one will recognize him next time.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This did not deter Mr Dicko who just added Abou to his name, changed his birthdate from 1992 to 1998 and got a new passport in Africa. 

Instead of just business as usual, perhaps the Thais should ban all Ivory Coast citizens until they get there passports in gear.

6 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

How can this fool a properly working biometrics system? Did he change his hands as well?

Money well spent, how many billions did they spend on this biometrics system?

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Thailand started taking finger print on entry on 2019. He was deported earlier on 2018. So, his finger prints are not in the Immigration database. 

11 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Thailand started taking finger print on entry on 2019. He was deported earlier on 2018. So, his finger prints are not in the Immigration database. 

Nope,He was deported and so the take bis prints also in 2018,i know for sure the do Fingerprint Scans on deporting people even back in 2011