Big Joke wants YOUR views on police reform - he's setting up a "People Poll"

webfact

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

The problem is it is a polls and polls are made up from being manipulated having only certain boxes to check feeding into the hands of the makers without having any big unwelcome large ramifications due to the subject matter. In the end it will be twisted and nothing comes out from it except a big waste of time....

How about not a pol and make it a site for real opinions to include everyone in government at every level with the person posting an opinion having full immunity to prosecution, including the immigration department with the person posting having full immunity to prosecution, as well as the topic of the RTP and the poster having full immunity to prosecution. Let's even take it to the military not being left out but also having full immunity to prosecution. Let it fully rip or stop the BS and façade of trying to be do-gooders in sheep's clothing.

Agree, tick the given box surveys is way too confining, whereas open comments and opinions will bring much more valuable information. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The whole thing is rotten to the core; they need total disbandment and a rebuild using NONE of the current force !

Yep a complete rebuild from the ground up Robocop is the only way to go.

Royal Thai ROBOCOP

Edited by pokerface1
extra info
  • Like 1

I think it will be interesting to see if there is any published outcome.

Will people actually suggest change or opt for the status quo ?

If the general concepts of Western policing  were to be applied the trauma to the Thai public would be catastrophic! 

For those smug expats who enjoy so much of the lax application of law too and then post critical comment  here on tvf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Yep a complete rebuild from the ground up Robocop is the only way to go.

Royal Thai ROBOCOP

In a previous 'rebuild' move (many years ago), it was publicly mooted by some senior authorities:

1. Remove the top several layers (going down quite a few levels).
  2. All of the RTP guys removed paid off, can never rejoin any gov't agency, and totally prohibited from being on/in any government locations/buildings forever. Plus monitoring of their phones, etc., etc., If caught jailed for long periods.
  3. Instantly install/replace the paid off police, a team of well respected military officers.
  4. Create a team of people to plan a new RTP structure and new police/investigative/judicial processes to be put to a public referendum. This team mostly credible/respected civil leaders/experts etc. The new 'processes' must include processes which give any Thai person access (transparency) to attend all meetings/gatherings etc., and the right to have copies of all documents. And to include totally new recruitment processes which prohibit nepotism/cronyism/tampering with entry tests etc., and all people recommended must pass an 'audit' staffed by credible civilians. Same processes for promotions.
  5. A team (no previous RTP members) to develop a list of recommendations to copy policing policies / methods from other countries.

This whole 'concept' got media attention for a couple of weeks then totally died. Nobody was surprised. Little doubt there was instant/strong actions in the background by powerful people to get it all killed off.

There is precedent for similar actions, 30/40 years ago the entire Customs agency staff (all levels) was removed by another SE Asia country and instantly all replaced by a senior/junior team of policy experts  and operational folks from a country in Europe. They remained in place for about 10 years. 

Meanwhile many previous officers were investigated and many jailed with long sentences. 

Eventually a new local team was recruited, trained by the 'visiting' European team, and installed to work alongside the 'visiting' European team for a couple of years, then 'visiting' European team returned home. And a new permanent civilian agency formed to audit/monitor the new agency.  then quickly reformed themselves and did it well.

Then the country involved threatened to do the same thing with several other 'agencies', who quickly got very active to reform themselves and they did it well.  There was of course a number of powerful folks (civilian and Govt.) at the very top who mooted the change and supported it throughout. 

It can be done. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I can't remember the last time I saw a cop in Pattaya!

They exist but focused often on 'pleasing their seniors', etc.

The day the current 'gov't' took over a large number of senior cops in CM were sent home and not allowed to be on police premises/activities etc.

One senior guy lived in my village, he had his own 'personal team' about 12 police officers. They mostly worked from the top guys house. Always quite a number of police branded cars, pick ups., and more vehicles parked near his house.

One luxury branded police sedan (roof top lights etc., had been reserved to take the senior guys' wife shopping and take his several kids to school; drivers (police sergeants etc.) on shift plus always 2 cops in the vehicles to carry shopping, school bags etc.

This guy was investigated by the new gov't and was jailed for 8 years (from memory) and banned for life from any gov't position or and any work as a sub-contractor etc. His family quickly moved, new address unknown.

Many more, similar scenarios, were also investigated and punished. 

Edited by scorecard

22 hours ago, webfact said:

police reform - a poisoned chalice if ever there was one

"The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle;

but the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

The Court Jester (1955) 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

You clearly have never had interaction with the corrupt police here, or you would not post that nonsense.

Yes i am very critical of the police here, have damned good reason for it.

Twice had interaction with them in the last 11 years, first time senior policeman accept money from my ex to put my in jail.

Second time serious road accident involving a high ranking local official, police involved lied.

What I have posted is not nonsense. Nor am I defending the corruption rife in the RTP which as you relate in personal experience ( and I am aware of the physical outcome of your accident).

What I am saying is that if there was to be any total significant change to adopt true "policing" by the RTP the ramifications to the ingrained behaviors of the public would be traumatic if suddenly expected to comply with enforcement. As it would be to the members of those remaining in the RTP after probably a mass exodus .

In addition it would be also negative  to those expats (note I do  not  say all ) who while as armchair/barstool critics of the RTP readily take advantage of the lack of enforcement of nominal laws and regulations as  can be witnessed on a daily basis in communities where they are active.

I would also inform you that I often  "interact" with many members of the local RTP informally and sometimes but rarely socially with a couple.

With one or two exceptions I have found that individually they are generally quite decent people who work in a corrupt and hierarchical system that I have been given snippets of information as to degree and scope which despite personal objections to are themselves required to submit to or even encouraged to aspire to!

If anyone wishes to suggest higher ethical considerations should compel them to resign then perhaps refer back to the general concept of social ethics demonstrated from top to bottom in Thai culture.

Big Joke may or may not be offering a chance for Thai to poke a bear with a stick but I seriously doubt it will initiate radical change.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, webfact said:

Big Joke was given the job of working and advising on police reform - a poisoned chalice if ever there was one - by PM Prayuth Chan-ocha earlier this year, notes Thaivisa. 

I agree with the above. He has been given this job in order to fail.

Actually, his strategy here is quite obvious (and really his only option), he can't come up with reforms on his own, as he will be blamed for their failure. So, he asks the public: what do you want from the RTP? Now he can submit a list to Prayut, and when those reforms fail he can at least say: wasn't my idea. If that let's him off the hook, gotta ask the Godfather...

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 10:57 AM, colinneil said:

Surely this is some kind of joke? Asking the people what they think about the police.????????????????????

You took the words right out of my mouth Colin Its  a June Joke What the Thai people think of their police? Next question

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 12:50 PM, scorecard said:

Which way do you want it:

- If he decided, with no research/data/feedback what needs fixing you would complain that the public wasn't consulted.

- But if he tries to do research, get data and feedback you also complain. 

He knows what needs to be done, we all know, but how many if us WANT a change

On 5/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, webfact said:

Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn will be asking the people about police reform.

Simple: Fire all upper management and outsource for replacements.

Raise police pay so they don't need to scam for a decent wage.

Train cops to perform law enforcement.

57 minutes ago, Almer said:

He knows what needs to be done, we all know, but how many if us WANT a change

So are you saying that many/most farang don't want change, so how come complaints here on TV re the RTP are numerous every day of the week?

Big Joke wants YOUR views on police reform - he's setting up a "People Poll" 

I won't put my view out there unless BJ makes Public Why he was Removed and Why he is Reinstated .

How can we trust Him if we don't know what happened.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

In a previous 'rebuild' move (many years ago), it was publicly mooted by some senior authorities:

1. Remove the top several layers (going down quite a few levels).
  2. All of the RTP guys removed paid off, can never rejoin any gov't agency, and totally prohibited from being on/in any government locations/buildings forever. Plus monitoring of their phones, etc., etc., If caught jailed for long periods.
  3. Instantly install/replace the paid off police, a team of well respected military officers.
  4. Create a team of people to plan a new RTP structure and new police/investigative/judicial processes to be put to a public referendum. This team mostly credible/respected civil leaders/experts etc. The new 'processes' must include processes which give any Thai person access (transparency) to attend all meetings/gatherings etc., and the right to have copies of all documents. And to include totally new recruitment processes which prohibit nepotism/cronyism/tampering with entry tests etc., and all people recommended must pass an 'audit' staffed by credible civilians. Same processes for promotions.
  5. A team (no previous RTP members) to develop a list of recommendations to copy policing policies / methods from other countries.

This whole 'concept' got media attention for a couple of weeks then totally died. Nobody was surprised. Little doubt there was instant/strong actions in the background by powerful people to get it all killed off.

There is precedent for similar actions, 30/40 years ago the entire Customs agency staff (all levels) was removed by another SE Asia country and instantly all replaced by a senior/junior team of policy experts  and operational folks from a country in Europe. They remained in place for about 10 years. 

Meanwhile many previous officers were investigated and many jailed with long sentences. 

Eventually a new local team was recruited, trained by the 'visiting' European team, and installed to work alongside the 'visiting' European team for a couple of years, then 'visiting' European team returned home. And a new permanent civilian agency formed to audit/monitor the new agency.  then quickly reformed themselves and did it well.

Then the country involved threatened to do the same thing with several other 'agencies', who quickly got very active to reform themselves and they did it well.  There was of course a number of powerful folks (civilian and Govt.) at the very top who mooted the change and supported it throughout. 

It can be done. 

But it won't be...