US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Talking about Thailand. 

The embassy knows we're abundant here but not overwhelmingly so.

Just announce a vaccine program and those that want it and can get to the embassy and consulate will get it. Not rocket science. Remember AmeriCAN? Is that over? 

Not just Thailand, but maybe yes it could be Over.

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:
Youtube: The Philippine Information Channel

The Philippine Info Channel
The Philippine Info Channel

10.2K subscribers

I thought you got your information from an official source(like a news organization or an actual journalist?).

This youtube channel is a guy who talks into camera.  Also, which specific video does he mention that American expats are being vaccinated by the Manila Embassy?  

I didn't state my source before.

I never said it was a news organization. 

It's right to ask for the source, but wrong to accuse me of suggesting it was the kind of source you assumed. 

I can't possibly find the specific video in which it was mentioned. They aren't indexed. 

I suppose your next move is to accuse me of making it up that it was said on the channel.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Why only in Thailand or SE Asia?  If the US Government vaccinates Americans in Thailand then what about every country in the world that Americans are in?  This list would be long and possibly there are more Americans in other countries than Thailand?  A lot of Americans are in the PI as well.  It is not what "the Government owes us or has a duty to do", most of us came to Thailand voluntarily.  I have never met any American who was forced to come to Thailand or is on asylum status.  We can leave Thailand anytime.  

Additionally would countries like India or possibly Brazil be higher on any potential list to vaccinate Americans?  If the pandemic poses an imminent threat to Americans then the State Department would deploy it's ultimate overseas tool:  the NEO program, Noncombatant Evacuation Operations.  If the pandemics gets really bad the US Embassy in Bangkok would offer all Americans a chance to evacuate(of course it would not be free).  In essence Americans who want to be evacuated would pack one carry on bag and meet at a designated meeting point and fly out to the US or the nearest safe country. 

This is issue is "DOA".  

The reason why is because are taxed on their world wide income. There is no discount when paying other than reciprocity agreements the USA has with other countries. Yes it would take time to reach all Americans in various countries but there are embassies in the majority that can administer. USA is sending vaccines now around the world. Why not try to assist American citizens as well.

• Like 2

I didn't state my source before.

I never said it was a news organization. 

It's right to ask for the source, but wrong to accuse me of suggesting it was the kind of source you assumed. 

I can't possibly find the specific video in which it was mentioned. They aren't indexed. 

I suppose your next move is to accuse me of making it up that it was said on the channel.

No. I am not accusing you of anything.  This is your source but I could not confirm it.  That is the end of it.

The reason why is because are taxed on their world wide income. There is no discount when paying other than reciprocity agreements the USA has with other countries. Yes it would take time to reach all Americans in various countries but there are embassies in the majority that can administer. USA is sending vaccines now around the world. Why not try to assist American citizens as well.

I am also an American Taxpayer who has lived in LOS for years.  My perspective is different from others.  My expectations of the US Government on my behalf is very, very low.  This perspective has been shaped by professional experience as an overseas American Worker on US Government contracts. 

"can someone explain why yanks think they should receive priority treatment to everyone else. Sit and wait your turn like the rest of us have to."

Speaking as a Yank, I do not think that way.  I do not feel that i an entitled to priority treatment.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

Not if you make under $100,000, the last time I needed to check.  When I worked in Thailand, it was easy to stay under that.

I'm retired and earn no income in Thailand. My pensions and SS taxed at same rate as if I were in USA.

"The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE, using IRS Form 2555) allows you to exclude a certain amount of your FOREIGN EARNED income from US tax. For tax year 2020 (filing in 2021) the exclusion amount is $107,600."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Its shameful that the Chinese gov takes care of their citizens abroad better than the U.S..  Vaccines sitting on shelves in the U.S. while we wait for the incompetent Thai gov to get it together.  

The sad fact is that most Americans including government are so ignorant of the world, so little wonder that the US government does a poor job of its international responsibilities of all kinds. Had we competent government taking care to be aware of the world around, Americans abroad in such an exceptional situation would be given consideration depending on the circumstances in each country. There also would have been attention to making sure that there was sufficient capacity to get the world vaccinated so that it would not come back to haunt us medically and geopolitically. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skorp13 said:

LOL. The U.S. is supposed to send personalized vaccines to each citizen in every other country?. Wow, talk about entitlement syndrome.

China is doing it for it's citizens here in Thailand and around the world. If thier citizens don't have easy axcess to vaccinations then they are sending over shots to protect their citizens. US could easily do the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

What and get suckered twice... they already fell for the fake test certificates.

not fake, there are ways to prevent counterfeit  certificates using crypto tech similar to what Bitcoin uses, verifiable at point of departure and point of entry.  i will not go into the details here.  also heavy fines and jail time "if" determined to  be fraudulent which probably not happen.  travel in other countries now is possible upon verified vaccination.  Thailand is backwards.  let them sleep in the bed that  they made for themselves,  their just cheap.

Edited by malibukid

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Btw, did you know the inventing scientist of mrna was blocked from twitter and FB for saying that it's use does not do whhat the vax companies say it does?  Same with the guy that invented the PCR test saying that it doesn't reveal what the tester's use it for?

bunch of people who've never attended science class as "fact checkers" lol

On the subject of  'fact checking'  are you referring to this biochemist who spent the last 40 years researching the subject. And may [should] be nominated for a Nobel Prize for her work on the development of the mRNA vaccine? Dr Katalin Karikó. The one who posts regularly on Twitter; with the most recent post being just a few days ago? https://twitter.com/kkariko?lang=en

https://hungarytoday.hu/katalin-kariko-hungary-pfizer-hungarian-scientist-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-creator/

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Democrats Abroad in Thailand, Paul Risley.

“What are we, chopped liver? 

Yes you are.  .  As a fellow American he does not represent me.   He embarrasses me as an American who also lives in Thailand.  Of course people like this get the attention of the local media.  Stories like this negatively impact the perception of Americans in Thailand.  I do not feel entitled to anything from the US Government except for what is listed on the price sheet at the Embassy/Consulate.  Last time I checked the US Embassy does not provide vaccination or any other medical services.  

If you have to pay for service, is that an entitlement? Republicans Abroad are also complaining, by the way, but maybe you are an independent??

Edited by placnx
spelling correction
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I'm retired and earn no income in Thailand. My pensions and SS taxed at same rate as if I were in USA.

"The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE, using IRS Form 2555) allows you to exclude a certain amount of your FOREIGN EARNED income from US tax. For tax year 2020 (filing in 2021) the exclusion amount is $107,600."

Your SS and pensions were EARNED in the past (in the US), the tax was deferred under the expectation that you would be taxed under a lower tax bracket in the future.   I doubt any country would allow you to exclude this income for any reason - since this was already earned in the past in that country ... and that country would have first dibs.   This would only be really applicable if you earned income in another country.  (different countries do it differently, some just deduct foreign tax paid and tax you on the rest, I am guessing the US has this exclusion instead or in combination with). 

• Like 1

No one is being "forced" to obtain or even register for a Covid 19 vaccine in Buriram. There are Government reps walking door to door to check on if people want the vaccine. That is to help the medical authorities obtain the vaccine in the right quantity.  My wife is willing to stay home, go nowhere, and wait for Moderna at the Buriram private hospital in MAYBE October. I "pick my battles" in marriage.

Yes I file income taxes as a US citizen. I also collect Social security payments via direct deposit. The US Embassy comped me an important document to be able to legally adopt my wife's daughter. I've paid plenty for documents at the US embassy, but maybe less than some other expats pay at the respective UK or Australian embassy or consulate. Gee do I want to take a bus or flight to Bangkok twice to get a vaccine that is darn easy to obtain in Buriram? The FRENCH however, they might have a chance at their embassy sooner than later in Bangkok.  

I GUESS that in the near future in Buriram, that restaurant, hotel and dental office employees must have proof of both vaccinations prior to fully opening. It is a hunch, not an open bet or fact. Just my opinion.  You need not be vaccinated, but you have no right to interact with the general public.  That is my opinion. 

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Why only in Thailand or SE Asia?  If the US Government vaccinates Americans in Thailand then what about every country in the world that Americans are in?  This list would be long and possibly there are more Americans in other countries than Thailand?  A lot of Americans are in the PI as well.  It is not what "the Government owes us or has a duty to do", most of us came to Thailand voluntarily.  I have never met any American who was forced to come to Thailand or is on asylum status.  We can leave Thailand anytime.  

Additionally would countries like India or possibly Brazil be higher on any potential list to vaccinate Americans?  If the pandemic poses an imminent threat to Americans then the State Department would deploy it's ultimate overseas tool:  the NEO program, Noncombatant Evacuation Operations.  If the pandemics gets really bad the US Embassy in Bangkok would offer all Americans a chance to evacuate(of course it would not be free).  In essence Americans who want to be evacuated would pack one carry on bag and meet at a designated meeting point and fly out to the US or the nearest safe country. 

This is issue is "DOA".  

Is the responsisbility of any Embassy not to look after its citizens in that particular country? Hence American Embassies in many countries in the world., because Americans are spread far and wide. So the American Embassy in Bangkok has a responsibility to look after its citizens in Thailand. Nobody is wanting  emergency evacuations, just vaccinations. And I would hope that the British Embassy would do the same for its citizens. Speaking personally, I have always found them helpful (when you can actually get to speak to a person) and a couple of sdays ago they sent me an email asking if I wanted to be updated on any changes to the vaccination programme here in Thailand if it affected British citizens. I haven't asked for their help in acquiring a vaccination because as yet it has not been necessary, ( I am due to get vaccinated tomorrow) so I don't know what their response would be to a rhetorical question. 

• Like 1

If you have to pay for service, is that an entitlement? Republicans Abroad are also complaining, by the way, but maybe you are an independent??

1) On the first part: Yes.  Some call SSA and Medicare as entitlements we Americans partially pay for it through payroll deductions(FICA?).

2) I lean back and forth between Republican, Independent and lately Libertarian.  It all depends on the issue.  

11 minutes ago, Emdog said:

So, it increased by $7,600 -- sorry. The point is that he said we were double-taxed, but not if we make less than that amount. 

29 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

can someone explain why yanks think they should receive priority treatment to everyone else. Sit and wait your turn like the rest of us have to.

U.S. citizens want the U.S. government to provide them with access to vaccines? That's crazy talk. No, I don't expect the U.K. government, e.g., to give U.S. citizens the same assistance it gives British citizens -- or any assistance. 

"Not only Thailand or SE Asia.  But a particular case can be made for Thailand. For example, Thailand has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the world - according to the FT's COVID19 vaccine tracker, Thailand's vaccination rate half even that of neighbor Malaysia's.  And some 172 countries joined COVAX.  Thailand is not one of them."

Why would low vaccination rate be a criteria for US American Government to vaccinate it's citizens in Thailand.  The only way I see the US Government taking immediate action would be a Public Medical Emergency in Thailand(hospitals overloaded , people dropping dead on the streets etc,).  Then I could see an airlift of emergency vaccines by the Department of Defense?  This is a big IF. Even then I  believe the US Government would advise American to evacuate first.  

You have a point, in that the US government tends to react to, rather than to anticipate, a crisis. However, it is sensible to cite the low vaccination rate as a reason for the US government to consider the epidemiological fallout and the impact on its citizens. Seems to be a crisis brewing. USG behind the 8 ball as usual.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

Is the responsisbility of any Embassy not to look after its citizens in that particular country? Hence American Embassies in many countries in the world., because Americans are spread far and wide. So the American Embassy in Bangkok has a responsibility to look after its citizens in Thailand. Nobody is wanting  emergency evacuations, just vaccinations. And I would hope that the British Embassy would do the same for its citizens. Speaking personally, I have always found them helpful (when you can actually get to speak to a person) and a couple of sdays ago they sent me an email asking if I wanted to be updated on any changes to the vaccination programme here in Thailand if it affected British citizens. I haven't asked for their help in acquiring a vaccination because as yet it has not been necessary, ( I am due to get vaccinated tomorrow) so I don't know what their response would be to a rhetorical question. 

You are overstating the purpose of the Embassies, they are not there to provide 'government services' or 'social services' abroad.... they are primarily trade and diplomatic missions for relations between governments and representing trade interests abroad.  They have a limited number of services abroad (passport application, emergency passport, issue visas to abroad.  If you get into legal trouble, they may direct you to locals that can provide legal representation (but they would not vouch for or vet those who do provide it).   When you move here, you are moving to a different jurisdiction and that jurisdiction is not under the United States government.   (in this case they would expect you to get vaccinated locally when available here).  

"There are no significant hurdles for the U.S. government to ship Covid vaccines around the world and administer them to Americans living abroad. The State Department confirmed on April 20 that it has sent to each U.S. embassy sufficient vaccines to administer to all American employees. Each embassy also maintains a list of Americans who have registered their contact details, and unregistered Americans could easily be reached through the American communities in each country. All that would be required to administer vaccines in an orderly manner to Americans overseas would be to create an online sign-up system."

1) No significant hurdles?  Ok then. How?  DHL, FedEx, C17's C5's, Sherpas?  Then how about ground transportation and storage at the proper temperature?  Logistics? How hard can it be?  How much? Who would run this operation?  The "devil is in the details". 

2)"Each embassy also maintains a list of Americans who have registered their contact details, and unregistered Americans could easily be reached through the American communities in each"

So the contact information of all overseas American is 100% accurate and up to date?  

3)in an orderly manner to Americans overseas would be to create an online sign-up system.

How often are Americans orderly?

4)Which country gets the first delivery of vaccines for overseas Americans? What criteria will be used to establish this priority overseas vaccination program?  Again "the devil is in the details."  As always "easier said than done". 

The vaccination czar will no doubt take care of all this, once orders come from the top. 5555

Seriously, I wish that you would offer serious reasoning instead of straw man argumentation.

1 minute ago, placnx said:

You have a point, in that the US government tends to react to, rather than to anticipate, a crisis. However, it is sensible to cite the low vaccination rate as a reason for the US government to consider the epidemiological fallout and the impact on its citizens. Seems to be a crisis brewing. USG behind the 8 ball as usual.

The crisis is international, and the epidemiological fallout is international... and if the US were a good citizen (and in this case I don't doubt they are helping out internationally to some extent) they would help ensure support for international vaccination programs to vaccinate in countries less able to cope.... it is in our interest to reduce and/or eliminate the virus as much as possible internationally as if it is at large in the wild it will continue to mutate over time and could be another major issue (probably in several decades timeframe). 

One last point about the WJS article is this:  Most US Embassies are not large.  Some are gigantic like in London or even in Baghdad during the last decade.  Vaccinating Embassy Staff and even local workers might require hundreds of doses.  But vaccinating overseas citizens will require more than 100's of doses. Also, doubt if any embassy has the capability of storing significant amount of vaccine doses for an extended period.  

Some Americans could claim they cannot travel to the Embassy due medical or other reasons.  Then will the Embassy sent out personnel to the American who cannot travel for the vaccine?  "The Devil Is In the Details".  Any kind of program like this always takes time to plan and execute.  By than most of us might have already been vaccinated?  

Do you prefer Sinovax or Sinopharm?

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

Most of the vaccines were developed using corp. money and didn't recieve any tax payer dollars for the developement. They did get money reserving doses for the US but that would not be the same as tax payer funded. Get over it you live in Thailand because you want to be free of all the US drama.

Many posters have stated a willingness to pay a "service" fee for vaccination by some instrumentality of US government.

13 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

1) On the first part: Yes.  Some call SSA and Medicare as entitlements we Americans partially pay for it through payroll deductions(FICA?).

2) I lean back and forth between Republican, Independent and lately Libertarian.  It all depends on the issue.  

It is hard to tell what Social Security is other than a pyramid scheme...  I highly doubt Social Security is paid for completely by the employees (6.2% is not sufficient; I believe Singapore (which tries not to subsidize) is 20% by individual and 15% by the employer (I think it was 20 and 20 when I was thinking about a job in Singapore) into an account that you then have to fund your retirement from (lots of restrictions and requirements on how that is used - they don't want you using it as your own little gambling fund).   In the US you pay into Social Security with an obligation to pay in the future (not properly accounted for - in reality it should be accounted for as a liability which means under proper accounting the US has a much larger debt now than it states (on the order of 50+ trillion I believe).

8 hours ago, nattaya09 said:

There's no shortage in the US. I had my choice of Pfizer, Moderna or J&J at the corner pharmacy last week without waiting. It would seem the embassy's should be getting sufficient supply to provide to the citizens abroad.

Great to see the express rollout now in the US after all the stupidity and needless deaths of  the Trump Era when everything relating to the pandemic was botched. All my Irish family in CT have had their 2 Pfizer jabs, including my  15 and 16 year old grandkids ... 

• Like 1