Met chief denies Din Daeng police kicked motorcycle down after chase that led to futsal boy's death

webfact

8pm.jpg

Thai caption: Police didn't kick the bike over//Sanook

The chief of the Bangkok metropolitan police has debunked social media claims that a patrol of the Din Daeng police kicked down a motorcycle with three people aboard that they were chasing.

Both bikes ended up on the tarmac heading towards Victory Monument in the incident last Monday at 2.15 am. 

All five were injured but Natthadanai, 15, a boy also known as Fluke who was a futsal player at a well known school, later died in Ratchawithi Hospital. 

Met chief Phakkapong Pongpettra said an investigation had been carried out.

There were three people on the motorcycle when it was ordered to stop by a Din Daeng patrol in Mitr Maitree Road as none of the riders were wearing helmets. 

The bike did not stop and a chase ensued along Viphavadi Road towards Victory Monument. 

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The police continued to order the other rider to stop and he failed to do so. Then as the rider veered right both bikes became entangled and both fell.

Two police and three on the other bike were all injured and taken to hospital where one of the boys died. 

Phakkhapong said there was no truth in social media claims that the police had kicked the other bike down.

An illegal item was found under the seat of the motorcycle with the three riders aboard,  he said. 

CCTV was clear and matters would be explained to the victim's family members. 

Nevertheless, he still apologized for the loss of life, reported Sanook. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-31

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, johng said:
14 minutes ago, webfact said:

CCTV was clear

9 minutes ago, johng said:

But no link to the CCTV footage ?

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

CCTV was clear and matters would be explained to the victim's family members. 

Which I trust will include a viewing of the CCTV. There should be no need for public displays other than to quell suspicion which should be at the families discretion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely not! No one kicked the bike!

They pulled alongside and tried to ram them.

The question is, why did the kids not stop? .. because it was another shakedown, stop the shakedowns and there would be no need to chase the kids. I thought temporary roadblocks had ceased?

Educate the masses and consistently enforce the use of helmets, then there would be no need for the roadblocks.

If you attend a futsal stadium or gathering in Malaysian town or city ( and Vietnam, as far as I remember) all the kids put on helmets and ride off 2-up on their bikes. Thats what education and empowerment does. Its not hard is it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Where does the report mention a roadblock? A Din Daeng police patrol ordered a motorcyclist with 3 on board and no helmets to stop. Isn't that what police patrols are supposed to do?

There are many on TV with some kind if disorder, the police do nothing slag them off, the police try and stop 3 up on a motorcycle with reportedly no helmets they get slagged off, 02.15 out in Bkk 15 years old.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No sympathy for the boys, if you're ordered to stop and try to do a runner then you take your chances.

Totally agreed. No sympathy to the boys. Good to teach all 15 year old a lesson. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

I was going to mention that as well.  Let's see ... THREE on a motorbike. Most likely no helmets. ANY collision would have ended with similar results. 

"ANY collision would have ended with similar results".  Looking into the future with such certainty is indeed waisted on these pages and perhaps more useful in the stock market.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is certainly true that they have done so in the past, with complete disregard for life and limb, so no wonder that questions are being asked.

If the police request or order you to stop, you stop. If you don't then they will stop you. Many police jurisdictions have ways and means of stopping unruly youths on bikes. Sad about the death but had the rider stopped as he was requested to do this would not have happened.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

Absolutely not! No one kicked the bike!

They pulled alongside and tried to ram them.

The question is, why did the kids not stop? .. because it was another shakedown, stop the shakedowns and there would be no need to chase the kids. I thought temporary roadblocks had ceased?

Educate the masses and consistently enforce the use of helmets, then there would be no need for the roadblocks.

If you attend a futsal stadium or gathering in Malaysian town or city ( and Vietnam, as far as I remember) all the kids put on helmets and ride off 2-up on their bikes. Thats what education and empowerment does. Its not hard is it?

Don't know about Malaysia but I have seen it in Vietnam and they also don't have many of the problems associated with Thai society such as kids toting guns and carrying drugs as the penalties are very severe and carried out quickly.

I remember a senior Vietnamese officer in Halong Bay connected to tourism, and he spoke great English and told me straight, it's nipped in the bud and fast.

The Vietnamese authorities know exactly what occurs in Thailand with the youth and he reiterated. "We don't accept that behavior here".

Edited by Scouse123

Some on here say the kids were possibly trying to avoid a ' shakedown ' I doubt it very much as the police know there are not usually rich pickings in a shakedown with Thai kids unless they stumble upon lucky.

The Thai kids however, will try to outrun and be smart if they are up to no good and running from the Police automatically ensures a chase will occur.

There's a loss of life, but I think this is a broken system and these events will keep occurring until they educate the masses through government education, similarly when we were kids at school, the police came along and taught us road safety, the hazards of stealing and being caught, ensuring your bikes were roadworthy etc

They have plenty of police available in this country to carry out such duties, it's public service and information that needs to be out there.

Biased story, as far as I see it. 

What a few 15-years old do on a motorbike at 2h15 am on a Monday?
Illegal item under the seat, no helmets and doing a runner? 

Having stopped on the police' demand, wearing helmets and having driving licenses (?) would have kept the brat alive for sure.

While I am not a friend of Thai police, the little sweetheart boys were certainly not innocent in any case. 

The parents though will have the duty of the last service to their son and bury him - part of the blame might go in their direction. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, recom273 said:

I can only speculate the probability that it was another shakedown gone wrong. 

Why is that the only thing that you could speculate?  You could bear this in mind, something that your speculation conveniently ignored...

"An illegal item was found under the seat of the motorcycle with the three riders aboard".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why is that the only thing that you could speculate?  You could bear this in mind, something that your speculation conveniently ignored...

"An illegal item was found under the seat of the motorcycle with the three riders aboard".

So they knew there was an illegal item in the bike before they chased down the bike and it ended with the death of a young live? Judge, jury and executioners  on a PCX. 

I speculate that there’s a shakedown because there’s always a shakedown.

Your missing the point, if they are so interested in enforcing the helmet law, then why start 2.15 on that night. Why not sit outside the local council offices or high school on Monday morning at 8.30 and watch the stream of khaki uniforms coming to work. Set an example there and the youth might follow.

• Sad 1

In reply to recom273, why is it the policemans fault for choosing to uphold the law?

The police were only doing their job so why not ask yourself the following,

1) What were 15 year olds doing out at 2.30 in the morning?

2) Why didn't they stop when instructed to by the police?

3) Why weren't they wearing helmets.

My first thought would be they were up to no good so I have no sympathy for the kids and i congratulate the police for doing there job for a change.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, recom273 said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So they knew there was an illegal item in the bike before they chased down the bike and it ended with the death of a young live? Judge, jury and executioners  on a PCX. 

I speculate that there’s a shakedown because there’s always a shakedown.

Your missing the point, if they are so interested in enforcing the helmet law, then why start 2.15 on that night. Why not sit outside the local council offices or high school on Monday morning at 8.30 and watch the stream of khaki uniforms coming to work.

"I speculate that there’s a shakedown because there’s always a shakedown".

That's the problem with speculation, it's frequently wrong,  There is not always a shakedown.

"So they knew there was an illegal item in the bike before they chased down the bike and it ended with the death of a young live? Judge, jury and executioners".

Who knows?  Maybe they did suspect something illegal was there.  You sure don't know any different.

What do you mean by "judge, jury an executioners" in this case?  They tried to stop a bike and there was, apparently, a collision which resulted in all five being injured.  No one was judging, no one was being a jury and no one was executing anyone. 

"Your missing the point [sic]"

No, I'm not missing the point, for all you know they may patrol the schools but that's irrelevant to this case, it was 2.15am!   And, believe it or not, some police officers are able to spot suspicious behaviour when they see it and. if they did in this case, they were spot on.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

An illegal item! Was it a gun, drugs, a stanley knife or a maybe one of those dangerous vape pens?

Can't believe nobody here has blamed the parent yet.

Don't worry, Capt., it's ok, Thaivisa posters' standards are not slipping entirely, Sydebolle did get that "parents" dig in!

Edited by Liverpool Lou