Moderna at private hospitals: It'll cost 3,400 baht for two jabs, can pay from Thursday

webfact

32 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I saw this too, but at an earlier time (1-2 months earlier) one could schedule an appt for Moderna at private hospitals.  There was no fee associated with this previous scheduling, but now one must pay the 3400 THB fee to get scheduled.

So are all the previous appt.'s null and void?  Or have the previous appt.'s been sent an SMS to come in and pre-pay for their Moderna vaccine to keep their appt?

It seems there may be quite a few "previous" appt.'s that will open up if they aren't paid for immediately.

1 hour ago, watthong said:

I can't believe that in this day and age I still run into this kind of message ("Wake up, you're on ThaiVisa!" - had to pinch myself...) 

Context wise, the two modifiers "Thai" and "American" in the above passage are totally interchangeable. In other words, substitute "American" for "Thai" and vice versa, the message still holds "true," even though in spite of being American myself, that "truth" doesn't make the grade: because Thailand is poorer a country doesn't make its people second or third-grade and have to stoop to accommodate 1st-world demands.

Sorry, I guess I'll have to make my sarcasm more obvious. You are not the only one that was offended. But in fact you will run into it even here on TVF.

I'm actually pleased that sone people reacted.  I got some 'like and thanks' emojis for my first post, so now I wonder about those guys!!! 555555

I just replied to the other one, so below I've repeated my reply.

"Sorry, I thought my sarcasm would be easily detectable. No harm, no foul.

Of course I agree with everything you say. I was taking a gentle jab at some of the posts I see on TVF, as well as the attitude of too many Americans abroad. It is definitely true that speaking English louder does not aid understanding by foreigners! ????

I have been here nearly five years, been with a wonderful Thai lady for over three years, own a house, and have three Thai bank accounts. I have indeed been learning spoken Thai (the written language it a bridge too far just now) and my GF and I have frequent lessons teaching each other our native languages. The only thing I've avoided is learning foul/offensive language in other languages. I figure in the end it won't do me much good.

I have no shame whatsoever in trying to speak foreign languages to foreigners. He11, I can even speak a little Aussie mate!

I have traveled extensively and have always used faltering attempts to speak the native language as a way of breaking the ice with natives. It is almost universally appreciated and everybody has a good laugh at my sad attempts. I adopted three Japanese children from teens into the oldest being 47. I traveled for a while in Japan as well, but rather quickly got tired of the temples. I grew up in South Texas and gained some Spanish in grade school. I was very helpful in visiting countries in South America, and my high school Latin also helped in a few European countries. I sometimes spoke terribly butchered French just to annoy the snooty natives, who were deeply offended to the point of laughter.

Travel is the best way to defeat the provincial attitude I used in my post. The world would be a better place if more people from more countries spent more time outside their home countries. It's a big world, and the more you see the more you are."

Edited by RocketDog

On 6/29/2021 at 8:51 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am pretty sure the hospitals will have to pay up front. And the vaccine has only a limited shelf life. I understand that they don't just order amount x only to find out that the demand is not what they expected.

As long as they have a fair refund policy I don't think paying up front is a problem.

The hospitals have to order through the GPO which is demanding cash upfront and will get credit from Moderna as it is a government institution. I read that the hospitals also want to get GPO to order more for them.  Of course government still wants to keep the competition for AZ and Sinovac down to a bare minimum as there is a lot riding on that.  I believe the hospitals see greater potential for a second batch in the New Year when those vaccinated with two doses will be ready for a booster of something better.  They will probably have to pay in advance for two shots, even if they only want one and may or may not be able to transfer the right to the second shot. 

If it is to be used as a booster, charging in advance for two shots is a bit tough. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

What's the difference You want a vaccine ,who's gonna say with one is better than the other. Only time will tell. For me it doesn't matter  .AZ or Moderna or any other .

One thing pretty clear is that Sinovac is not very effective against delta.  Hundreds of medical staff in Indonesia have caught the delta after two shots of Sinovac. Anyone who has had Sinovac should book Moderna. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:39 AM, jacko45k said:

Well it is good news in a way, but I am concerned about putting 100% down on this. 

Especially as they are only getting half the dodes they wanted and a lot have already been committed to large companies for their staff.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:14 AM, jacko45k said:

Does that not apply to all types of vaccines and medications? 

With the lead time of minimally 3 months, the option of flying home (or another country), getting jabbed (for free), and being able to return within that time frame, is an alternative. Getting back into Thailand is the concern. Obviously a much more expensive proposal.... but we likely all have pressing reasons and things to sort out back home.

A friend went to the US to get Pfizer and has been tearing his hair out for the last week trying to figure out how to get back via the sandbox. He has had to delay his return by a week once alredy clocking up more hotel bills.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HaoleBoy said:

I saw this too, but at an earlier time (1-2 months earlier) one could schedule an appt for Moderna at private hospitals.  There was no fee associated with this previous scheduling, but now one must pay the 3400 THB fee to get scheduled.

So are all the previous appt.'s null and void?  Or have the previous appt.'s been sent an SMS to come in and pre-pay for their Moderna vaccine to keep their appt?

It seems there may be quite a few "previous" appt.'s that will open up if they aren't paid for immediately.

I am sure a lot of appointments will not be confirmed.  Many people booked with several hospitals out of desperation and may not want it at all, if it is available around the same time they get their second AZ shot for free.  I received an SMS from Samitivej today saying I will be required to firm up my requirements in 14 days.  I enquired at the information desk there and a very disinterested woman told me the government wasn't cooperating with their order but told me to scribble my name and phone number on a scrap of paper.  I didn't expet anything to come of that, so I registered with THG which is also now talking about taking payment.  My second appointment for AZ is 6 Sept, so I am not sure if I will take Moderna, unless they have another batch arriving around Feb or Mar 2022.  Not sure of the effects or usefulness of having it too close to second AZ shot and don't wait to miss the second AZ shot and be unprotected waiting for Moderna.

Edited by Dogmatix

On 6/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, dave moir said:

You can still get Covid 19 even though you have had the vaccine! You can also die after having the vaccine! There's a 99.5% survival rate without the vaccine! He might be thinking am I wasting 3400 baht ????

What if you survive COVID and catch the black fungus that is doing the rounds of people recovered from the delta variant in India? You might have to have your eyes removed. 

18 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I am sure a lot of appointments will not be confirmed.  Many people booked with several hospitals out of desperation and may not want it at all, if it is available around the same time they get their second AZ shot for free.  I received an SMS from Samitivej today saying I will be required to firm up my requirements in 14 days.  I enquired at the information desk there and a very disinterested woman told me the government wasn't cooperating with their order but told me to scribble my name and phone number on a scrap of paper.  I didn't expet anything to come of that, so I registered with THG which is also now talking about taking payment.  My second appointment for AZ is 6 Sept, so I am not sure if I will take Moderna, unless they have another batch arriving around Feb or Mar 2022.  Not sure of the effects or usefulness of having it too close to second AZ shot and don't wait to miss the second AZ shot and be unprotected waiting for Moderna.

Pretty much exactly the same, popped into Samitivej when passing through and went to the registration desk. The guy was so disinterested it was pathetic. He eventually wrote down my details and i was pretty sure they were going in the bin. To my surprise i got an SMS today informing me my registration was successful.

If the timing is right i will have AZ 1st shot and Moderna 2nd and 3rd.

Just now, scorecard said:

s this Moderna one that could mess with your DNA?

26 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Is this Moderna one that could mess with your DNA?

Yep, will also change your hair colour and your shoe size, and don't go out after dark because you will leave Chinese ghosts wherever you go.  

22 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I thought the J&J was the only 1 jab vaccine. I could be wrong. Also if you get the AZ jab and you are traveling to anywhere in Europe it seems that they don't except the AZ vaccine from anywhere other than AZ Europe.

The Quant search engine says the Moderna vaccine requires two injections given a month apart, so apparently the nurse was wrong. Guess I'll have to wait and see. I don't feel anxious about it, but I would have preferred the Sinovac vaccine.

10 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Isn’t that the same country that makes it illegal for a foreigner to have a relationship with a woman?

No, it is officially illegal for foreigners to cohabit with unmarried women if you have no intention to marry and haven't been up front with the village chief. In these cases, i.e., if you're a doofus or contemptuous of the authorities then you may well end up having to pony up $500 or so if you're caught with your girlfriend. And there's not so much of a whoring scene there although it's easily enough available if one makes any effort to find it.

So yes, for the mongers, Laos is probably not the heaven on earth that they've found in the land of vertical smile. And for which they clearly need to pay and pay, and pay and pay. I'm referring to the situation of the majority of the expats in Laos, who are not mongers generally speaking (although they tend towards the drink as it's pretty good and almost free) and many many of whom are either with their Lao girlfriends or more commonly have already married and established families. Or single people who are working.

I know it's difficult to conceive of people who aren't in this part of the world to chase after women younger than their own children constantly when that's all you see reflected off the bar mirror or refracted through the bottom of your beer bottle. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that you're actually a smaller percentage of people than you think. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't know where you are getting that information as I have no seen a single shred of evidence suggesting it does, apart from Dr Fauci's mouth, but I wouldn't trust him if my life depended on it.

Once you have natural immunity, i.e. if you do get infected with Covid remains for as long as it does, these vaccines have only been out for 6 months and they cannot say how long immunity will last, so I fail to understand why anyone would suggest the vaccine once you have been infected when they themselves can't say how long immunity will last from the vaccine, sounds like a lot of spin to me, i.e. unless I can see a credible link with perhaps a peer reviewed paper on it.

So you don't read medical journals. People who had Covid, then were vaccinated with a single jab of mRNA vaccine, developed very strong antibodies. I believe that was compared to people who had two jabs of mRNA vaccine, and antibodies were greater for the combination of jab plus infection than either infection or two jabs of mRNA.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

What if you survive COVID and catch the black fungus that is doing the rounds of people recovered from the delta variant in India? You might have to have your eyes removed. 

Let's hope that in Thailand there is sufficient medicine for treating Black Fungus (Amphotericin B), not like in India.

9 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Sorry, I guess I'll have to make my sarcasm more obvious. You are not the only one that was offended. But in fact you will run into it even here on TVF.

I'm actually pleased that sone people reacted.  I got some 'like and thanks' emojis for my first post, so now I wonder about those guys!!! 555555

I just replied to the other one, so below I've repeated my reply.

"Sorry, I thought my sarcasm would be easily detectable. No harm, no foul.

Of course I agree with everything you say. I was taking a gentle jab at some of the posts I see on TVF, as well as the attitude of too many Americans abroad. It is definitely true that speaking English louder does not aid understanding by foreigners! ????

I have been here nearly five years, been with a wonderful Thai lady for over three years, own a house, and have three Thai bank accounts. I have indeed been learning spoken Thai (the written language it a bridge too far just now) and my GF and I have frequent lessons teaching each other our native languages. The only thing I've avoided is learning foul/offensive language in other languages. I figure in the end it won't do me much good.

I have no shame whatsoever in trying to speak foreign languages to foreigners. He11, I can even speak a little Aussie mate!

I have traveled extensively and have always used faltering attempts to speak the native language as a way of breaking the ice with natives. It is almost universally appreciated and everybody has a good laugh at my sad attempts. I adopted three Japanese children from teens into the oldest being 47. I traveled for a while in Japan as well, but rather quickly got tired of the temples. I grew up in South Texas and gained some Spanish in grade school. I was very helpful in visiting countries in South America, and my high school Latin also helped in a few European countries. I sometimes spoke terribly butchered French just to annoy the snooty natives, who were deeply offended to the point of laughter.

Travel is the best way to defeat the provincial attitude I used in my post. The world would be a better place if more people from more countries spent more time outside their home countries. It's a big world, and the more you see the more you are."

Touche'. Thanks for the reply. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pattayapip said:

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/packages-and-promotions/online-packages-en/item/3022-moderna-vaccine-en.html

Got email from Bangkok Pattaya saying available to book from 1st July, Had a look, all sold out Hmmm
Only had the email an hour ago . . . .

I had the exact same e mail and when I clicked on the links for payment the message was 'All Sold Out.'

11 hours ago, placnx said:

So you don't read medical journals. People who had Covid, then were vaccinated with a single jab of mRNA vaccine, developed very strong antibodies. I believe that was compared to people who had two jabs of mRNA vaccine, and antibodies were greater for the combination of jab plus infection than either infection or two jabs of mRNA.

I read & listen as much as I can.

In my opinion, it all depends on who's publishing it and the key words that they use to sell it. Think about it for a moment, natural infection, infection by vaccination + annual boosters. 

A lot of this has to do with marketing in my opinion, however vaccinations do help in reducing what they say it does, whether it's the annual Influenza, Pneumonia and so on, no doubt there, as for how long immunity lasts, well, I don't believe anyone really knows on Covid-19 so far, time will tell.

So I see no reason for those who acquired Covid-19 naturally to get vaccinated when they have  had a natural infection because one says the vaccine gives them more antibodies. Did I mention that there was a Japanese study, suggesting that Sars 1 antibodies were still present in some of those previously infected 17 years ago ?.

One might also get re-infected again if they have had Covid-19, like the cold if immunity doesn't last, too early to know in my opinion.

In other words you will either get your annual booster jabs or you won't.

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/06/22/how-immunity-generated-from-covid-19-vaccines-differs-from-an-infection/

16 hours ago, rabas said:

I signed up a while back through a senior doctor at a major Bangkok hospital. (I think he's just doing a favor for friends by personally overseeing their reservations).  We were called this morning and told to urgently transfer funds to pay for the shots, which I did.

So it seems something changed in the background that affects everywhere. It may correlate with announcements that quantities could be less or slower than first thought.

If possible could you tell which group (x,y,z - HG healthcare group) that you registered with? And if you could elaborate the terms of possible refund/transfer etc. that would be very helpful, along with what kind of receipt you got hold of as proof of payment? Much appreciated. Here we (one Yank, one Thai) trying to navigate the local registration website(s) and still are not 100 percent sure we are paying what to whom... Thanks a million.

14 hours ago, JCauto said:

No, it is officially illegal for foreigners to cohabit with unmarried women if you have no intention to marry and haven't been up front with the village chief

What a weird tangent?

Not sure what is wrong with you, but Moderna won't help.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Haha 1