Phuket Sandbox rules tweaked

webfact

4 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Good Luck tourist

I don't think any but the most hardy tourist is going to be coming here in any numbers.

Maybe those with family or property/business maybe, but then it's got to be in Phuket as they have to do 14 days on the island.

Trickle start is going to be very slow

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Espanol said:

No, they mean if you arrive to Thailand to BKK, instead of directly flying to HKT.

Agreed, section 1.2 appears to allow for changing planes in Bangkok - so now the legal aspect for that is taken care of, and they only have to figure out the practical aspect...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

So 4 paid tests in total just to go on holiday. No thanks

and you have to show proof of payment for those tests in advance, in order to get the COE.

and to get this proof of payment (with prices twice the normal price in europe ) you need

to be contacted by your hotel first, and ...well, how can you book a flight when so

many things can go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thai Government, thank you for publishing the Phuket rules so early.  Like the Tourists arrive tomorrow!  So when are you going to publish the rules for the Islands in Surat Thani - on 14 July, the day before they are due to arrive?  This Government seem incapable of any forward planning to resolve issues arising......or should I say any planning.

Edited by robertson468
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Espanol said:

And that even been fully vaccinated

If you have been fully vaccinated, YOU should be protected aginst the severe symptoms of the Coronavirus (Covid 19).

You would, however, still be able to carry it and pass it to others.

Theoretically, not a problem if everyone around you has been vaccinated, but viruses just don't work that way and find a way of spreading.

Strict requirements set for visitors ahead of Phuket “Sandbox” reopening on July 1

AP21180424540176.jpg

Empty tourist boats anchor off Rawai Beach on Phuket, southern Thailand, Monday, June 28, 2021. Thailand’s government will begin the “Phuket Sandbox” scheme to bring the tourists back to Phuket starting July 1. Even though coronavirus numbers are again rising around the rest of Thailand and prompting new lockdown measures, officials say there’s too much at stake not to forge ahead with the plan to reopen the island to fully-vaccinated travelers. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

The Thai government has finalised requirements for the entry of fully vaccinated foreign tourists and Thai returnees, without entering quarantine, through the Phuket “sandbox” project, which starts tomorrow (Thursday).

Book your sandbox hotel in Phuket here

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/strict-requirements-set-for-visitors-ahead-of-phuket-sandbox-reopening-on-july-1/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-06-30

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Let's be positive and hope that the about 200 tourists arriving tomorrow, and the around 1,100 that so far already have booked the Phuket holiday, fulfill yesterday's published rules, otherwise a two weeks amazing quarantine might replace the two weeks holiday...????

Anybody seen the list of these 66 "allowed" countries, or has a link to it? Thanks.

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Agreed, section 1.2 appears to allow for changing planes in Bangkok - so now the legal aspect for that is taken care of, and they only have to figure out the practical aspect...?

Has anyone out there successfully booked a flight to the sandbox with a transfer in BKK?  If this is possible it might save some cash as those flights (eg. Emirate, Qatar ...) that fly directly to Phuket from abroad seem somewhat more costly than those connecting in BKK, especially if a multi-stop ticket is required (eg. Europe-Phuket-BKK-Europe).

thanks, RS

no mention of having guests other than a spouse in the room...I would think a critical detail for many

"The insurance policy must cover healthcare expenses and medical treatment in case of asymptomatic COVID-19 infection." 

5 minutes ago, RickSee said:

Has anyone out there successfully booked a flight to the sandbox with a transfer in BKK?  If this is possible it might save some cash as those flights (eg. Emirate, Qatar ...) that fly directly to Phuket from abroad seem somewhat more costly than those connecting in BKK, especially if a multi-stop ticket is required (eg. Europe-Phuket-BKK-Europe).

thanks, RS

I don't like to say no because I obviously don't know everyone, but that really seems impossible to me at the moment.  There simply hasn't been time to put something like that together.  I think they may want to do it in the future, but there's no way they are ready to do something like that now.  I suspect it will get a lot of media attention before it happens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

compare all this maddness to the entry requirements of spain (no need for PCR test, no quarantine) or portugal (only need PCR test) or PANAMA (Can do PCR test at airport on traveller expense, price 50 USD. if found positive quarantine is ON GOVERNMENT EXPENSE !) and

see why thailand is going to lose many more tourists.

Do you think their controlling and strict guidelines have something to do with insecurity? I'm not talking about them not being able to handle COVID, we already know that for sure.  But since I've been coming to Thailand, I've felt from the immigrations and the airport, that they enjoy the feeling of being controlling....foreigners...other thais... etc... for some reason... and i feel like that has something to do with insecurity.... like.... "we are in charge! not you! okay?!?!"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluedan said:

no mention of having guests other than a spouse in the room...I would think a critical detail for many

"The insurance policy must cover healthcare expenses and medical treatment in case of asymptomatic COVID-19 infection." 

The latest remotely plausible-sounding rumor that I've heard of is that it's OK as long as the person staying with you has received a negative covid test result(s).  I can't point to anything officially definitive.  For people already in Thailand but not in Phuket there are very specific things they need to have to even get into Phuket (unless they are already there).  The domestic (right hand) side of the graphic attached.  If I had anything officially definitive I'd be giving you that rather than a plausible-sounding rumor.

A lot of hope was pinned on there being specifics in what would be published in the Royal Gazette concerning these sort of details.  That hope was forlorn as what has been published is very high-level, the implementation details have been left unspecified.

206427609_358093899010213_4730109082702803477_n (1).jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Honest question: Has it been stated anywhere that this is only for tourists? People with a non-immigrant visa/re-entry permit are not allowed  to use the sandbox system?

I have non immigrant OA multiple entry visa, got my COE and land soon. Hopefully!

• Like 2

From the article:

“After arriving at the airport, they must have their temperature checked. Then they need to present documents and go through the immigration and customs processes. Then they will be RT-PCR tested and directly go the hotel they have booked.

“At the hotel, they are not allowed to leave their rooms until the test result has been issued and the result is negative. They will be tested again on day 6/7 and day 12/13. If a tourist is found infected, hotel staff must inform the contracted hospital to come and pick the tourist up. All the cost of treatment must be paid by themselves [the travellers],” Gov Narong said.

I hope the test results come back in a matter of hours rather than days ...