Moderna vaccine: Private hospitals will charge 1,200 baht service charge - more than 50% mark-up

webfact

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Crickets from Bumrungrad, expect they already have a list, and will not hit customers up for prepayment, but I could be wrong. I'm registrered there but have not heard from them since that registration (informal, via email).

I also had been registered with Bumrungrad as a past patient of theirs interested in a future pay vaccine, and made sure they had all my contact info recorded.

Likewise, haven't as yet heard peepers from Bummers or any of the several other private hospitals I had previously put my name in with.

All I can say is, as best as I can tell, there's still a tremendous private market among Thais who are capable and willing to pay for a private vaccine not made in Thailand. Where that's going to leave unvaccinated farangs, I don't know!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shuya said:

I doubt they will find many people stupid enough to do advance payment for jabs that might or might not arrive at the same time or later when the free Pfizer is available

I paid in advance.  If you don't pay you won't be getting Moderna.  All the pre pay are sold out already so will see who's stupid (cheap).

Pfeizer free?  Not in Thailand Shuya. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I just paid for the first Jab, 1200 baht. 

It said if I don't get it this year, I'll get a full refund. 

Bangkok Hospital said no refunds but I can give it to someone.

I feel better that I've bought it for my wife and I.

The price is a night out for us and a little shopping at Central.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Bangkok Hospital said no refunds but I can give it to someone.

I feel better that I've bought it for my wife and I.

The price is a night out for us and a little shopping at Central.

My wife tried to book at the same hospital but couldn't. Glad I registered on the 3rd of last month. 

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

So, I guess none of us are relying on our immune systems?

Millions relied on theirs and were fine. I am tired of hearing only about those that died.

Do the vast majority of you have pre-ailments and are old enough, not to rely on your immune system? A genuine question by the way. ????

I don't want to rely on YOUR immune system  to be protected from contagion from you.

44 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Pfeizer free?  Not in Thailand Shuya. 

Pfizer isn't free anywhere.  We'll be paying for those "free shots" in our taxes for years.  And if you Google Pfizer's future plans, as soon as the panic is over, they intend to raise the price of annual Covid boosters to over $150.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So very wrong. Of the 1.5 million people paying for Moderna, 95% will be Thais.

And you think that most Thai would want to pay for an expensive vaccine when the government can give them for free especially when most Thai are jobless or struggling to survive?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EricTh said:
12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So very wrong. Of the 1.5 million people paying for Moderna, 95% will be Thais.

And you think that most Thai would want to pay for an expensive vaccine when the government can give them for free especially when most Thai are jobless or struggling to survive?

As desperate as times are, I think the unemployment rate falls far short of 50%, and that the number of Thai people who still have jobs and are willing to pay for a better vaccine (that they may be able to get sooner by paying) will still outnumber the foreigners by 19:1. 

At least 1.5 million Thais have the dosh.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Pfizer isn't free anywhere. 

Pfizer is of course free in the U.S. Many Thai citizens have flown to the U.S. and Pfzer is their vaccine of choice based on the Vloggers I've watched. But you can get any of the big 3 easily, for free.

Pfizer will be free here too, but the government has said it will be for ages 12 - 18.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It are businesses and they need to pay for doctors, nurses equipment, rent, utilities. Do you think that is all free? Dumb article.

The likes of BPH are still greedy b4stards............ you don't need a doctor or equipment to administer a Covid jab.

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

you don't need a doctor or equipment to administer a Covid jab.

Syringe/needle?

Or did you choose the leech option.

IMO, there should be a medical history review done by a Doctor prior tore ceiving a vaccine, a nurse can handle the actual injection.

The hospital needs to manage all of the logistics between receiving the vaccine and administering it. That comes with a cost.

The obvious solution, when one is unhappy with a price, is to forego purchasing the item or service. But I do understand that whining about something is far easier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Most Thais I know want to pay. Or is not exactly a lot of money. 

Most do not want Sinovac and Astra for obvious reasons. 

I don't know any Thais that are struggling to survive. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

And you think that most Thai would want to pay for an expensive vaccine when the government can give them for free especially when most Thai are jobless or struggling to survive

Strange how many foreigner think Thais are poor. Maybe it is because many marry into the lower rungs on the Thai hierarchical social ladder. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Just got a line message from a hospital I registered for Moderna with asking me to pay the 1,200 up front with no info on the final total charge. Not paying.

Did You expect it to be free when you registered? 

9 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Just got a line message from a hospital I registered for Moderna with asking me to pay the 1,200 up front with no info on the final total charge. Not paying.

Was it through Thonburihealth?

My message mentioned it could be as high as 1700 per jab. 

I prefer to pay for a private hospital as I am busy. If I didn't work, or was poor, I'd use the government one, where prices are low and must wait a few hours. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

They are private hospitals, this is normal.

The worst is Bamrungrad, I remember 20 years ago when one of my kids was born, they charged 300 baht every time we used the breast pump and a package of 29,900 baht turned into 82,000. 

Jesuse they really "milked"  you eh!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I just paid for the first Jab, 1200 baht. 

It said if I don't get it this year, I'll get a full refund. 

Good...... so let us know in 6  months time then, if we are all still here!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pib said:

How is the payment ultimately made?  Did you have then do a bank transfer to THG like they gave an account number to send funds to, maybe a QR payment code....or maybe pay via LINE Pay, etc.  

EDIT:  whoops, read your link post again...see you paid via debit card.  But was debit card the only way to pay....maybe they offered other way?  I'm just curious as to the method(s) of payment THG would accept.

Got my line message from THG yesterday. Can remember that payment by credit card, debit card and direct bank transfer were mentioned. I think there were other methods (that were not an option for me so I've forgotten their names) - probably Line-Pay since THG are working through Line.

The message and input form were in Thai so I had to rely on my wife - topped up by using the camera option on Google translate (I have 2 mobile phones). Maybe there was an English language option - but I didn't see it

• Like 1

At this rate, I am betting the borders will HAVE to open here and in crazy paranoid places like Australia, or the economies will eventually tank, due to the butterfly effect.

At that point, I'll go get the vax in Singapore or Malaysia, just as a "fork you" for making our lives such an unnecessary misery here.

2 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Got my line message from THG yesterday. Can remember that payment by credit card, debit card and direct bank transfer were mentioned. I think there were other methods (that were not an option for me so I've forgotten their names) - probably Line-Pay since THG are working through Line.

The message and input form were in Thai so I had to rely on my wife - topped up by using the camera option on Google translate (I have 2 mobile phones). Maybe there was an English language option - but I didn't see it

I paid using my Bitcoin debit card, which means I get 4% paid back. I can't remember seeing Line-pay. 

Edited by Neeranam

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Hardly "equipment"...pedant!

Don't forget the nurses station, her PPE, the alcohol wipes, the fridge to keep the doses in, all the paper/computer data, the doctors consulting fee. The running costs of the hospital etc. It all adds up and nothing is free anymore.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I also had been registered with Bumrungrad as a past patient of theirs interested in a future pay vaccine, and made sure they had all my contact info recorded.

Likewise, haven't as yet heard peepers from Bummers or any of the several other private hospitals I had previously put my name in with.

All I can say is, as best as I can tell, there's still a tremendous private market among Thais who are capable and willing to pay for a private vaccine not made in Thailand. Where that's going to leave unvaccinated farangs, I don't know!

THG hospital group seems to be ok i registered and i paid. So its possible. But no appointment yet.

28 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

I turned on line on my computer. Then it brought me to a webpage that i let translate in English. After that it was all really easy paid with my kasikorn card. In this case no Thai needed.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I turned on line on my computer. Then it brought me to a webpage that i let translate in English. After that it was all really easy paid with my kasikorn card. In this case no Thai needed.

Not as fun as a walking dict.