Update on Thailand's vaccination programme and our response

Paul says:

"Thai government is responsible for the roll-out of vaccines in Thailand and that the UK cannot provide them. Thailand has made it clear that the programme will cover foreigners as well as Thais; our job is to do what we can to help that happen."

(emphasis added)

So as u confirm you will help... tell us British passport holders where to go to get the vaccine here in Bangkok?

Edited by homeseeker
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I've explained on here before that raising the issue of expats not having access to the NHS is a red herring. Just as in Thailand (though far more effectively), the UK government purchases the vaccines on behalf of the health system and then distributes them. HMG could decide to send 100,000 doses to Thailand tomorrow, if it so chose, and without bothering the NHS in the least but, as the Consul says, it is currently not their policy to do so. The question then is: how do we get HMG to change its policy on this matter? It can only be via communication, so get writing to your MP, to the leader of the opposition, to your devolved government if you come from outside England, and to the newspapers and other media, basically anybody you can think of. Ask friends and relatives to write on your behalf, politicians don't usually pay much attention to orderly, quiet groups of people, to get them to take notice we need to make a lot of noise.

This is the best advice but success is unlikely.

Remember

1) that the UK govt would only change policy for all ex-pats anywhere in the world - not just for Thailand. This would be far more than 100,000 doses.

2) that many tried to change the policy on pensions and failed.

No taxation without representation. Its a one way street.

• Like 1

I'm not British, but hey, everyone see's what's going on here, governments are nothing but corporate entities who don't give a rats a$$ about their citizens if they live overseas, it's as if an ex employer is saying to an ex employee, well you wanted to leave.

But you can come back and use the facilities here if you like.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

Interesting to see how difficult people find it to distinguish between government policy and the poor officials who are paid to implement it.

No point in shouting at the bureaucrats.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

British citizens are not going to be vaccinated in the near future in Thailand and it is for this reason, I believe that sending vaccines to Thailand would be more than gestural, in fact necessary. It doesn't need planeloads of nurses and equipment and beds, no doctors, no hospitals, just the vaccines - how difficult is that? We know it is UK Government policy but can it not be changed to take account of what is actually happening here? After all, Thai Government and Health Authorities are changing their policy almost every day!

I'm sorry, but this post and others demanding the UK send vaccines here smacks of 'I'm in the centre of the universe'. I'm sure there are countries with far more British expats than Thailand - India comes immediately to mind - that are also unable to vaccinate us, and where the virus has had truly devastating effects - unlike in Thailand where numbers, although rising, are still small.

Should the UK government help its own citizens first before sending vaccines to Third World - usually worn-torn - countries. Yes, of course. But 100,000 for the world, not just Thailand, won't cut it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

The intervac  app doesn't work. 

I have tried to register at local centres,  but only to be told that I cannot as the vaccine is only for Thais. 

Looks as though we are being forced towards paying extortionate costs to get vaccinated at private hospitals. 

Or was that the aim all along?? 

Despite being over 60 and asthmatic,  I really have given up on ever being vaccinated. 

• Like 2

First, do not blame the consular team - they cannot change policy themselves. But they can give feedback to the UK government that those of us living here do feel like we are treated as something unwelcome stuck on it's shoe.

As said, no taxation without representation. I vote, when i can, and it will not be for the current government.

• Like 1

[email protected]

I had another email recently saying that my email has been passed to the relevant government department, no further reply as yet & to be honest I'm not expecting one, but I would say & have said before is Google email address for UK Prime minister, you will find options there, you are limited to 1000 characters but they will get & read it, the more people that do the better. 

• Like 2

and folks say only the Thais are interested in 'saving face' , though I don't blame you in trying especially considering the French response - my country (Canada) also has no interest in aiding it's citizens. But like the First Nations say, " the apple doesn't fall far from the colonist tree, especially when landing upon an unmarked grave"