Thailand reports 6,230 new COVID-19 cases, 41 more deaths

webfact

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

and with these numbers they are launching the Phuket Sandbox for overseas tourists? Its clearly out of control now and numbers will sadly only be going up until 70% of the locals been fully vaccinated. ????

Phuket province, as had been previously reported, reported 7 new cases today, up from I believe 4 the day before....

Screenshot_7.jpg.9497adb59c5c10807dbc07017a400988.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/356792755939055

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Just now, bkk6060 said:

I hope you are correct on this.  Two completely different technologies being injected into a body sounds concerning.  

Just following the science and studies as to how it has played out.  Additionally, my Daughter is a Surgical ICU Nurse Practitioner who works in a Covid unit, and her partner has been working on Clinical Trials with the two different types of vaccines.  Do I want to be a guinea pig, no I don't but if the studies back its efficacy by mixing an MRNA and Adenovirus Vaccine then I am all for it.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/06/mixing-covid-19-vaccines-appears-boost-immune-responses

In three recent studies, researchers have found that following one dose of the vaccine made by AstraZeneca with a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine produces strong immune responses, as measured by blood tests. Two of the studies even suggest the mixed vaccine response will be at least as protective as two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech product, one of the most effective COVID-19 vaccines. Only a few of the potential vaccine combinations have been tested. But if mixing vaccines proves safe and effective, it could speed the effort to protect billions of people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting dynamic today....

Bangkok province's daily case count declined to 1,971 from yesterday's record high of 2,267.

But Thailand's total number increased from 6,076 to 6,226, and the increase was driven by both a higher number of prison cases (207 to 294) and a higher total number of cases from outside BKK at large.

Screenshot_6.jpg.2389c0abf1a99f7696911d98a5cd17f6.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/356792755939055

My view on this is that Bangkok's ceiling on hospital tests is around 2000+/-  daily due to limited availability? Now the virus is fanning out to hospitals walk ins in other Provinces making up the shortfalls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

And as above some who registered on ThailandIntervac were told Sinovac or nothing.

That may have been because of the age they gave when registering on the site. I'm 81 and the time I got lucky and got an appointment, it showed 200+ AZ and zero Sinovac. If the site(s) were designed properly it/they would take account of age, but who knows really?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Moonfire said:

It appears to be heading like India.....this is going to be ugly on so many levels! Prayers for all! 

The average global deaths per million is about 500 India is currently at 288 deaths per million perhaps you could say it appears to be heading like the UK at 1878 or the US at 1866 or Italy at 2114 or Peru at 5770 or Belgium at 2164 or Hungary at 3113.India is still doing remarkably well at this stage apart from some bad publicity in the mainstream media.

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, the government today totally skipped its usual televised Thai language briefing update on the COVID situation, and the following English session, in favor of an hour-long televised discussion on COVID vaccines.

I can't recall a prior day during the pandemic, certainly since the start of the latest wave in April, where they totally skipped on a daily televised COVID statistics briefing. But maybe there's been some explanation or notice in Thai that I haven't seen...

Could it possibly be that, amid the Phuket sandbox rollout, they weren't so excited to go on camera talking about pandemic record high numbers of new COVID cases, hospitalizations, critical cases, and patients on ventilators -- all just from today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just following the science and studies as to how it has played out.  Additionally, my Daughter is a Surgical ICU Nurse Practitioner who works in a Covid unit, and her partner has been working on Clinical Trials with the two different types of vaccines.  Do I want to be a guinea pig, no I don't but if the studies back its efficacy by mixing an MRNA and Adenovirus Vaccine then I am all for it.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/06/mixing-covid-19-vaccines-appears-boost-immune-responses

In three recent studies, researchers have found that following one dose of the vaccine made by AstraZeneca with a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine produces strong immune responses, as measured by blood tests. Two of the studies even suggest the mixed vaccine response will be at least as protective as two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech product, one of the most effective COVID-19 vaccines. Only a few of the potential vaccine combinations have been tested. But if mixing vaccines proves safe and effective, it could speed the effort to protect billions of people.

Here is a similar paper with real numbers for various combinations. My wife sent this to me She has no relevant background but it was on social media.  BNT is Pfizer,  the delay was 28 days (not good for AZ as you can see),  they measure IgG antibodies.

AZ    ==> AZ      1,392

AZ    ==> BNT   12,906

BNT  ==> AZ     7,133

BNT ==> BNT   14,080

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3874014

So AZ followed by mRNA is good to go.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, what happened to all of those posters who were claiming this was just the flu, lockdowns don’t work, Covid is a hoax, etc?

Peru had one of the most extreme lockdowns in the pandemic yet managed the highest deaths per million in the world at 5770 which is more than 3 times Sweden at 1436.Lockdowns don't always work.

Saturday's new COVID cases breakdown by province:

10 provinces with more than 100 new cases, and another 7 provinces with between 51 and 100 new cases. Only 4 provinces out of 77 with no new cases -- Phang Nga, Chainat, Beung Kan, Mae Hong Son.

2021-07-03g.jpg.049363a69bc13418ca5bb8f91767a9d3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/356789562606041/?type=3

Out of 5,932 local cases (outside of prison) most in:

Bangkok - 1,971
Samut Prakan - 479
Pathum Thani - 448
Chonburi - 294
Samut Sakhon - 277
Nonthaburi - 257
Pattani - 197
Songkhla - 172
Nakhon Pathom - 169
Yala - 159

http://www.thainewsreports.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Phuket province, as had been previously reported, reported 7 new cases today, up from I believe 4 the day before

True but if nationwide numbers are only going up then that’s not a signal for tourists to plan a vacation, hence why so far only few hundred arabs came.

9 minutes ago, Puwa said:

BBC Thai has published a breakdown of vaccination rates. One statistic is that less than 4% of citizens over 60 have been vaccinated. 

https://www.bbc.com/thai/thailand-57704369

I'm having trouble finding that 4% figure in the article you linked.

And earlier today, I believe there was another report with a MoPH exec citing a different statistic for that.

51 minutes ago, Enzian said:

That may have been because of the age they gave when registering on the site. I'm 81 and the time I got lucky and got an appointment, it showed 200+ AZ and zero Sinovac. If the site(s) were designed properly it/they would take account of age, but who knows really?

They were assigning Sinovac to 60+ with no option for a particular date/location hospital for AZ 

52 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

They might be wishing they did soon.

There are reasons one might prefer Sinovac over AZ for instance the timing between shots and other higher potency vaccines available down the road. That is also a function of where one lives and what is the likelihood of exposure especially if one is not a front-line medical worker. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just wondering if the tourist arriving in Phuket appreciate the amount of vaccines being denied to the vulnerable and who are now dying so they can enjoy themselves, seems kind of selfishly grotesque if you ask me.How people can tolerate such obscene conduct is just perverse.People are dying so the rich can have a holiday? 

There are 2 ways to see that: Those tourists are are also helping to get the economy down there moving, to some extent helping people there. I bet they will appreciate it if it makes a difference to their hardship. There is no good solution sometimes.

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Peru had one of the most extreme lockdowns in the pandemic yet managed the highest deaths per million in the world at 5770 which is more than 3 times Sweden at 1436.Lockdowns don't always work.

Peru lifted its lockdown prematurely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

4412 hospital walk-in cases, they really crammed them in yesterday. Of course, this is a national number, so not all of the admissions were to hospitals in Bangkok.

This indicates even higher number of new cases in the next few days.

But given where Thailand is at, and the limits on vaccines, and testing, and what appears to be a desire to open up rather than close down higher numbers are easy to forecast for the next few days, weeks and months.

We can only hope that the situation does not mirror countries like Brazil but hope is the only thing there is, and a lack of tangible action will only encourage  spread.

These numbers are still low (compared to many other countries) but the notion that Thailand has some kind of immunity is now dismissed. 
Because the numbers have been low it’s been easy to comment and inject some dark humour at times amongst posters.

Sadly it seems probable that those days are passing and that the situation is becoming uncontrollably serious.

The grim reality is that true disaster could be looming. 
We should be prepared for some very dark times not seen in Thailand previously during this pandemic.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

True but if nationwide numbers are only going up then that’s not a signal for tourists to plan a vacation, hence why so far only few hundred arabs came.

Many in Pattaya, as far as unemployed workers and closed businesses seem to be really upset that they have to sit on the sidelines and watch as the Phuket Sandbox gets to enjoy open restaurants serving alcohol and reaping some rewards like vaccinations for the people, while Pattaya is taking a heavy hit.  Social media today is abuzz with extremely angry folks as far as what they are calling disparate treatment and a lack of equality.  They believe the  Government seems to not have thought about its citizens universally but rather individually and in one location only, and how they can make money in one location instead of opening up with restrictions in place for all.  I know just like many of you do that the Sandbox is a test to see if it will work, but it is being viewed negatively by Thais alike, and not just expats.

Will we ever see Covid testing numbers and the true stats come from Phuket in this next week.  I would hope so, it just appears to being not done above board in many peoples views. 

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

and with these numbers they are launching the Phuket Sandbox for overseas tourists? Its clearly out of control now and numbers will sadly only be going up until 70% of the locals been fully vaccinated. ????

Why won’t the numbers keep going up after 70% have been vaccinated? Or stop going up before 70% have been vaccinated?

I take your point that increasing vaccinations is a way to slow virus growth and even more so, slow hospitalizations. But this notion that a switch flicks over at 70% vaccination level and the virus stops because of herd immunity, is just nonsense.

other than that point, I totally agree with what you said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

There were no flights during the big lockdown last year. Maybe it was you who were living in a different Thailand.

I flew to Krabi in August and CM in December, of course you are free to dispute that.

The lockdown only lasted about 14 weeks, not 12 months as implied, the WTT scheme started 15th July.