Thailand reports 5,916 new COVID-19 cases, 44 more deaths

12 minutes ago, itsari said:

Uk reported 18 deaths from covid , 25000 new covid infections . Look at Thailand with 44 deaths and 6000 new cases . Only one conclusion i can make is there is a lack of testing in Thailand .

If you want to follow that: 18/25000 = 44/x.   So 61111 cases

47 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

On course and full steam ahead I believe. Samui is doing a Phuket in terms of vaccinations. Last I saw I think they were up to about 40% fully vaccinated? Think so anyway.

According to the BP this morning, Koh Samui is on course for the reopening of foreign visitors on 15 July.  The island has been  Covid free for over 63 days.

Although as we know, things can change.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

According to the BP this morning, Koh Samui is on course for the reopening of foreign visitors on 15 July.  The island has been  Covid free for over 63 days.

Although as we know, things can change.

What about the other islands listed in that 'group' 

Koh Phangan etc. 

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Those procedures could have been followed, but the passenger be positive. If he had 2 doses of sinovax, it’s not unknown to catch Covid, particularly delta, and a single dose of AZ doesn’t give the fullest possible protection. The order also doesn’t state how many days previously the vaccine should have been given. Little protection is afforded for 14 days after a first AZ jab, or so I have read.

And I note that the order was issued a month ago. The situation in Bangkok has changed quite a bit in that time. Could consider updating it I would have thought. Although if that resulted in more stringent restrictions, it would fly in the face of TAT’s goal of attracting 500k visitors by the end of the year.

But then, trying to prevent Covid and opening the country to domestic movement creates something of a dilemma.

That order was also placed before Delta was as prevalent at 40% of all new infections, I suspect it will be amended pretty soon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

It will depend on  if any others on the flight become positive and an analysis of how the infected person got on the flight if these provisions have or have not been followed:

Public Announcement

CAAT News 22/2021 : Airline passengers to Phuket without COVID-19 document to be rejected for boarding

31 May 2021

Phuket governor with the approval of the Communicable Diseases Committee of Phuket has issued a new announcement since May 28th, 2021. The new announcement emphasizes the screening measures for domestic passengers entering Phuket from June 1st. The new measures will complement the existing processes and ensure more streamlined entry into Phuket. The airline passenger must proceed as follows:

1. Must be vaccinated with 2 or full doses of COVID-19 vaccine or a dose of AstraZeneca vaccine, recovered from COVID-19 infection not more than 90 days, tested negative for COVID-19 by RT-PCR or Antigen Rapid Test not more than 7 days since the test date.  Those who fail to present the evidence will be rejected for boarding by the airlines. However, children up to 5 years of age are exempted.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/58167

They're dreaming. There are always a few lunatics but no normal person is going to subject themselves to this kind of stuff for a 2week beach holiday halfway around the world. Especially when at a moment's notice the goalposts can be moved. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What about the other islands listed in that 'group' 

Koh Phangan etc. 

There have been no reports since end June when the Government 'planned' to open the other islands on 15 July.

With time getting close, I think we'll hear something pretty soon.

• Thanks 1

So far so good in Phuket. They just need to keep their 7-day average below 90 new cases. If this works, then Samui and neighbouring islands will open up next and then more destinations a few months later.

Quote Tweet

#PhuketSandbox #COVID19 UPDATE: Two new cases for today with 48 patients still in hospital.

Day 1 - 4 cases

Day 2 - 7 cases

Day 3 - 2 cases

Day 4 - 2 cases <— Today

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1411655762078703624

• Like 1

The CAAT issued 3 new orders in May the one for Phuket 31 MAY.

Whether any changes are required regarding COVID Delta, it is still possible this person flew to Phuket after unknowingly  presenting the airline with a false negative PCR test.

Edited by jerrymahoney

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

It will depend on  if any others on the flight become positive and an analysis of how the infected person got on the flight if these provisions have or have not been followed:

Public Announcement

CAAT News 22/2021 : Airline passengers to Phuket without COVID-19 document to be rejected for boarding

31 May 2021

Phuket governor with the approval of the Communicable Diseases Committee of Phuket has issued a new announcement since May 28th, 2021. The new announcement emphasizes the screening measures for domestic passengers entering Phuket from June 1st. The new measures will complement the existing processes and ensure more streamlined entry into Phuket. The airline passenger must proceed as follows:

1. Must be vaccinated with 2 or full doses of COVID-19 vaccine or a dose of AstraZeneca vaccine, recovered from COVID-19 infection not more than 90 days, tested negative for COVID-19 by RT-PCR or Antigen Rapid Test not more than 7 days since the test date.  Those who fail to present the evidence will be rejected for boarding by the airlines. However, children up to 5 years of age are exempted.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/58167

With that CAAT announcement it appears the airline did not follow the rules and ergo why it is now a problem, unless it was a child or children that were infected.

15 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The CAAT issued 3 new orders in May the one for Phuket 31 MAY.

Whether any changes are required regarding COVID Delta, it is still possible this person flew to Phuket after unknowingly  presenting the airline with a false negative PCR test.

Highly unlikely it was a false positive pcr test, this was discovered on the 1st July and they have only just published the alert about it today the 4th July so plenty of time to have re tested him to confirm his status.

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Phuket is on the alert after a passenger, who arrived on the island aboard a Thai Smile flight from Suvarnabhumi international airport in Bangkok on July 1st, was found to be infected with COVID-19.

All the passengers on board flight WE201, which left Suvarnabhumi international airport at 7.04am on July 1st, have been told to report to their nearest hospital or health office for COVID-19 testing.

The provincial administration also issued a statement on Saturday, via its Facebook page, urging those who visited the Central Floresta Phuket and Central Phuket Starbucks branches between June 25th and 29th to report for COVID-19 screening.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-on-alert-after-airline-passenger-from-bangkok-found-infected-with-covid-19/

Just as concerning when reading the link to the article are the other alerts:

The provincial administration also issued a statement on Saturday, via its Facebook page, urging those who visited the Central Floresta Phuket and Central Phuket Starbucks branches between June 25th and 29th to report for COVID-19 screening.

"At Central Floresta Phuket, those required to undergo tests visited the Starbucks outlet on the ground floor of the mall on June 25th between 12.30pm and 1.50pm, June 27th between 9am and noon, June 28th between 10am and 7pm or on June 29th between 10am to 1pm.

At Central Phuket mall, customers should be tested if they visited Starbucks on the ground floor on June 27th between 1pm and 1.45pm.

Many netizens have criticized the provincial administration for being too slow in alerting visitors about the Starbucks customers and the air passengers from Bangkok, pointing out that the infected customers had visited the outlets as long ago as June 25th, but the administration only issued the alert yesterday (Saturday)."

This was only issued on Saturday 3rd July yet the covid positive case was in Central Phuket between the 25th through to 29th June. A little late on this warning.

• Thanks 1

The countdown for the Samui+ Model has started. During the first 7 days, the vaccinated tourists have to stay in a ALQ hotel. On Days 4-7 they can enjoy the beach or go on a “sealed route” boat tour. On Days 8-14 they can move to a SHA+ hotel and travel freely on the islands.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1411661737842024449

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

I said nothing about a false POSITIVE. I said maybe it was a false NEGATIVE presented to the airline at BKK.

Correct however the outcome remains the same:

Highly unlikely it was a false positive negative pcr test, this was discovered on the 1st July and they have only just published the alert about it today the 4th July so plenty of time to have re tested him to confirm his status.

It was possibly a false negative PCR test result that was presented to the airline at BKK which allowed the person to board the plane in Bangkok.

American has false negative Covid-19 test result in Thailand, positive result after returning to the US  Thaiger March 12, 2021

An American, who recently travelled to Phuket and Bangkok, tested positive for Covid-19 after returning to the United States. The man was tested prior to leaving Thailand and Thai health officials now say that result was a false negative. Thailand’s Department of Medical Sciences reviewed the man’s Covid-19 test that was taken right before leaving Thailand and now say the result is positive for the coronavirus.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/american-has-false-negative-covid-19-test-result-in-thailand-positive-result-after-returning-to-the-us

Edited by jerrymahoney

It seems like someone's cat left a turd in the sandbox and there may be some holiday quarantining after all.  

I'd be very careful of people who fit these numbers into some kind of obscure narrative.  I think it's very obvious that the government isn't telling people how many there actually are, or just don't care to find out how many there actually are, or people are just staying at home in droves so they don't have to stay in a quarantine hole.  This virus is clearly out of control and the numbers going down by a slight amount means zero.  

When delusion reigns supreme there's nothing like obscure figures to weave a wandering tale that is completely false.  

At this point if you truly need help in Thailand for a medical nature you are not going to get a lot of help.  This doesn't necessarily apply to COVID 19.  

12 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

It was possibly a false negative PCR test result that was presented to the airline at BKK which allowed the person to board the plane in Bangkok.

Or they had it and tested negative because it doesn't show up for days.  

Don't we all know this by now?  A negative test doesn't mean that you don't necessarily have it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

That order was also placed before Delta was as prevalent at 40% of all new infections, I suspect it will be amended pretty soon

I’m a little worried that they might lockdown Phuket. I was going to drive to Udon on Tuesday, not so sure that I will now, just in case I can’t get back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

American has false negative Covid-19 test result in Thailand, positive result after returning to the US  Thaiger March 12, 2021

An American, who recently travelled to Phuket and Bangkok, tested positive for Covid-19 after returning to the United States. The man was tested prior to leaving Thailand and Thai health officials now say that result was a false negative. Thailand’s Department of Medical Sciences reviewed the man’s Covid-19 test that was taken right before leaving Thailand and now say the result is positive for the coronavirus.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/american-has-false-negative-covid-19-test-result-in-thailand-positive-result-after-returning-to-the-us

Well that is a strange one. Does it mean the official just didn’t look at the test result closely? The result itself doesn’t change I assume, so it was “human error” on the Thai side?

7 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I’m a little worried that they might lockdown Phuket. I was going to drive to Udon on Tuesday, not so sure that I will now, just in case I can’t get back.

Drive?? Typo surely.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Drive?? Typo surely.

Years ago when I was still living in Rawai and In udon off and on I would make the drive.  It was a 2 day drive with Staying overnight in Pimai at an Aunts house.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Years ago when I was still living in Rawai and In udon off and on I would make the drive.  It was a 2 day drive with Staying overnight in Pimai at an Aunts house.

Didn't they have planes at that time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

So far so good in Phuket. They just need to keep their 7-day average below 90 new cases. If this works, then Samui and neighbouring islands will open up next and then more destinations a few months later.

Quote Tweet

#PhuketSandbox #COVID19 UPDATE: Two new cases for today with 48 patients still in hospital.

Day 1 - 4 cases

Day 2 - 7 cases

Day 3 - 2 cases

Day 4 - 2 cases <— Today

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1411655762078703624

That case count is even lower than the number of tourists arriving…and goodness knows they are low enough.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No. Have to drive because there are no direct flights now.

So flying would entail transiting in Bangkok. I don’t fancy sitting on a plane with a bunch of people from Bangkok atm and then there is the state quarantine for 14 days in Udon for Bangkok arrivals…..

I usually do the drive over 3 days. Stop at Chumphon, drive with windows closed through Bangkok, stop at korat. I did it twice last year, but if there is a direct flight, I would fly.

but now I am worried that they might close Phuket to domestic travelers if international tourists are endangered by Thai’s bringing Covid in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

Photo: Thiravat Hemachudha / Facebook

Thais sick with COVID waiting for hospital beds in Bangkok.  Looks like a long wait.  This is looking like India already.

I really am surprised international media has not picked up on this yet, doubtful all those are asymptomatic there will be some there suffering and waiting in line with the rest.

44/5916 =.0074 or .7 %.  Now that is only counting the people confirmed to have had COVID, presumably accurate testing.  But of course many more people had or have the COVID.  so the mortality is even lower percentage.  Flu bad seasons are comparable or even worse.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

and then there is the state quarantine for 14 days in Udon for Bangkok arrivals…

So, what's the procedure for arrivals at Udon airport from Bangkok?

Surely there isn't a bus waiting for you at the airport to bundle you off to quarantine. Serious question.