Phuket Sandbox: First 12 days sees 4,568 tourists, six positive for Covid

webfact

1pm.jpg

Reuters file photo for reference only

Deputy governor of Phuket Piyapong Chuwong announced Monday that in the first 12 days of the Phuket Sandbox reopening the province had welcomed 4,568 foreign tourists. 

That's a daily average of about 380.

If that were to continue for the 92 days of July, August and September it would mean just under 35,000 tourists.

While well short of TAT and Tourism Ministry predictions of 100,000, they would point to hope that numbers will pick up before the beginning of October.

Chief medical officer for Phuket Koosak Kookiatkoon, said that of the 4,568 six had tested positive for Covid. 

All these were infections brought by the tourists from their home base. 

This is well within the parameters expected and Phuket can easily cope. It in no way compromises the future of the Sandbox scheme, he said. 

He continued to urge DMHTTA (hand washing, distancing, masks and the like) protocols to continue protecting people and not to let down one's guard. 

He reminded the public that vaccination cannot stop spread of the virus 100%. 

All 230 Sandbox Hotels in Phuket - Book Now!

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-13

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Sandbox is not for genuine tourists coming to Thailand for a holiday. It is just too risky, inconvenient and very expensive.  

You got that right! If you don't believe me please name one person who don't want your money. Oh and have a goo time when your here.

Does anyone recall seeing what the numbers were for the nine (?) days in May when vaccinated travelers could get by with only 7 days of quarantine? How many were there and how many of them tested positive during those 7 days? I can't remember reading of any such.

43 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Are we talking about tourists coming from abroad or have they included those coming from other parts of the Kingdom i suspect its both added up to make the figures look acceptable

It's only Sandbox arrivals, which means arriving directly from abroad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

How exactly does he know this? For the guy whose first test upon arrival was positive it's almost certainly true (unless he caught it on board the aircraft), but for the ones who were only positive on the second test, it seems entirely possible that they were infected on the island.

Must be Anutin's handpuppet with his hamd up his A$$ , those dirty farang !!! How dare they bring this virus to our sandbox . Before they came we had zero cases and Prayut also wasn't in close proximety of a hi-so thai that was infected . Also must have gotten it from some of those TOURIST . 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, CamaroZL1 said:

totally.

What tourist on a holiday would go under those conditions.

And most things are still closed up anyway.

Im suspecting most have commitments in Thailand and 2 weeks in Phuket with some freedom was a better option than 2 weeks in ASQ in BKK.

Wasn't only a few weeks ago it was reported, on Thai Visa. that 2 tourist had escaped from their hotel, but were hunted down, Thai Visa's words not mine, and retuned to their hotel. Is it a theme holiday? Playing the Great Escape.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

What isn't mentioned in this OP, is that if one person on a flight "tests" positive....it seems the entire plane load of tourists are removed from their resorts, (no refunds) to and alternate quarantine hotel, not of their choice, hit with ~Thb 50,000 bill for the full 14 days. It sounds very much like a design!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

33 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

What isn't mentioned in this OP, is that if one person on a flight "tests" positive....it seems the entire plane load of tourists are removed from their resorts, (no refunds) to and alternate quarantine hotel, not of their choice, hit with ~Thb 50,000 bill for the full 14 days. It sounds very much like a design!

I think it's called "Thai Roulette" ????

• Haha 2

Nothing will compromise the Sandbox six positive cases from tourists REALLY and we are too believe that, there greed and corruption has no boundaries more sandbox,s to open soon, the PM,s 120 day re-opening appears to be on schedule let the brown envelopes flow

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CamaroZL1 said:

0.13% positive from the arrivals so far. Not even close to 1%.

Given the fact most of the good vaccines are 90 - 95% effective the numbers of positive cases is less than what was probably expected.

So how is this news?

Ever since covid appeared on the seen it seems a large percentage of people now want to live in a risk free world.

Madness

I concur 100%! 

13 hours ago, CamaroZL1 said:

totally.

What tourist on a holiday would go under those conditions.

And most things are still closed up anyway.

Im suspecting most have commitments in Thailand and 2 weeks in Phuket with some freedom was a better option than 2 weeks in ASQ in BKK.

That's me, for instance. 

I MUST travel to Thailand, so I prefer SHA+ hotel in Phuket than ASQ hotel room in Bangkok. 

But, if in holidays, I would better go to Mexico, Spain or Greece. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

What isn't mentioned in this OP, is that if one person on a flight "tests" positive....it seems the entire plane load of tourists are removed from their resorts, (no refunds)

Where do you get that from? Not the reports I've seen e.g. 

SHA+ refunded, she was sitting next to the next to the guy that tested positive in a family of 12 on a fairly full flight and only 14 quarantined.

• Sad 2