"No one is safe until everyone is safe" - Aussie couple highlight foreigners facing vaccine trouble in Thailand

webfact

This is so true for people who can only register with their passport number.

The Thai pink ID card is actually a loophole in their Moprom app resulting in two groups of foreigners when they should be treated as one.

The Australian couple stayed in Thailand for 14 years which is much longer than some foreigners with Thai pink ID.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

I  have yet to have this confirmed, but I am told a plane load of wealthy Indonesians chartered their own plane and flew  to Australia, they were immediately placed into quarantine, at their own expense, and given  FREE inoculations, which was the reason for their journey anyway, their country suffering badly, and vaccine being scarce there.

"But this is fraught with difficulty in itself as Australia has gone into lockdown too after a surge in cases of Covid-19 and they are restricting entry to even their own nationals"

How can your story be true?

I have my AstraZ appointment confirmed for next Thursday …. RAM Hospital Chiangmai … I'm a Brit with a pink Thai ID Card.

The appointment was made last May at a food court sign-up event ….

Two weeks ago RAM confirmed that it was still happening …. after I asked RAM on their LINE account.

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

This is so true for people who can only register with their passport number.

The Thai pink ID card is actually a loophole in their Moprom app resulting in two groups of foreigners when they should be treated as one.

The Australian couple stayed in Thailand for 14 years which is much longer than some foreigners with Thai pink ID.

I have a pink card and was vacinated 5 weeks ago with astra zenica as  was a friend .

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

That's their home country, so that makes sense.

As foreigner living in Thailand you are on your own when it comes to health care, and we foreigners knows it, when we decide to stay here by our own free choice.

However, with a little bit of patience the government will vaccinate all, also the foreigners that are not really are covered by the health care system.

Except that Australia has halved the weekly number of returnees being repatriated and quarantined due to Covid panic and expats in Thailand were listed as one of 4 countries cited as the most difficult to return to Australia from. So good luck to the couple in question.

• Like 1

Where I come from the government has to find ideas to force people to get vaccinated as by now the remaining don't want to get the jab.

Me too I just made it because I would like to enter Thailand without quarantine in September though the box.

No one is getting vaccinated for fear of the virus. More for fear of a vaccination pass that will take the unvaccinated freedoms away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Perhaps you will get sinovac. 

but I think it’s Bangkok that has the most problems dealing with foreigners. I had an appointment in Udon for AZ, but couldn’t go because of quarantine. I’ve since had 14 appointments in Phuket, but cancelled them all because it was sinovac.

So then there may be 14 persons in Phuket who will appreciate your generosity.

Edited by jerrymahoney

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The message from the regime is, if you want a vaccination you might be best served in your home country.

But "If you want a "registration" we're here to help you."

Some days they couch this message in easy to swallow words, like "we love everyone the same", or "foreigners will be treated equally, and given equal access to vaccines".

Other days, they launch the forty-third iteration of an app, website or hospital.

The message to Australian citizens from their government is 'Go Away!

2 hours ago, law ling said:

For one reason or another, Thailand is going for a slow-vax-rollout: reported today that the 100 million needed vaccines will be ordered for next year - or ordered next year - can't remember which, but the effect is about the same.

In the meantime, the ugly situation now emerging must just be endured.

I think only about 5% of Thais have been vaxed, so I bet there are a lot of Thais in the same boat as the OP couple: frustrated and annoyed - if not angry.

Aljazeera put the number at 1.9%.

I trust their reporting over almost any other "news" outlet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Perhaps you will get sinovac. 

but I think it’s Bangkok that has the most problems dealing with foreigners. I had an appointment in Udon for AZ, but couldn’t go because of quarantine. I’ve since had 14 appointments in Phuket, but cancelled them all because it was sinovac.

That screwed up at least 13 other people trying to get vaccinated then, do you not care?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

How many Chinese and French have been vaccinated? That's the area where the couple needs to make their comparison.

I think the French had a better solution ... they should all be jabbed by now ...

35 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I have a pink card and was vacinated 5 weeks ago with astra zenica as  was a friend .

I know but it's a loophole. Foreigners aren't supposed to be vaccinated before Thai. That was told to me by many people

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

That's their home country, so that makes sense.

As foreigner living in Thailand you are on your own when it comes to health care, and we foreigners knows it, when we decide to stay here by our own free choice.

However, with a little bit of patience the government will vaccinate all, also the foreigners that are not really are covered by the health care system.

I agree. Although I would think you will need more than just a little bit of patience. 

• Like 1

Reuters:

Thailand's main vaccine rollout started last month and only about 5% of its more than 66 million people have been fully vaccinated.

Like it or not, there is nothing special about being a farang ... no better and no worse off than the local population.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

"But this is fraught with difficulty in itself as Australia has gone into lockdown too after a surge in cases of Covid-19 and they are restricting entry to even their own nationals"

How can your story be true?

Maybe if a bunch of Aussies chartered a plane they would experience similar.

"Their own nationals" are likely to go through normal channels, which are currently undoable.

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

That screwed up at least 13 other people trying to get vaccinated then, do you not care?

He cancelled, so I guess they would fill the slot up for others. If he did 13 confirmed but no-shows then it's a different story. 

• Like 1