Is living in a Thai village in the middle of nowhere becoming more appealing now?

7 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Not really, in any village you would not have the amenities you get in the cities. Quality of life would be too poor.

And what quality of life is going to be left in the civilised world and how much hassle will it be?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

We are in a village on the outskirts on Bangkok, still pretty rural but within easy striking distance of the Big Mango.

It's not going to stay that way forever but our (ok Madam's) logic is that as we age the amenities will get closer. Not really such a daft idea.

And as Bangkok metropolitan area enlarges as it naturally will so will the environmental pollution increase and get closer to you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We are in a village on the outskirts on Bangkok, still pretty rural but within easy striking distance of the Big Mango.

It's not going to stay that way forever but our (ok Madam's) logic is that as we age the amenities will get closer. Not really such a daft idea.

She's right and it's already happening, my wife's village really is in the boonies in Isaan and now have a proper Tesco Lotus within 20 mins. Coffee shops opening, etc.

1 minute ago, bbko said:

If I've been in a Issan village for 5 days it means I've been dead for 2. Three days is about all I can take before I need get back to modern life.

Ok . Sensible question now. List 5 things that you consider is modern life for you and then list 5 different things you can not do in your village.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

And what quality of life is going to be left in the civilised world and how much hassle will it be?

Quite a lot more than in any village. If you want quality food you'll have to be in or near a city. If you want the best services in anything you need to be in or near a city. If you want the fastest internet you need to in or near a city. If you want quality entertainment you need to be in or  near a city.

Of course it's a hassle sometimes. But living without hassle would be mindnumbingly tedious.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4