Thailand reports new daily record of 13,002 coronavirus cases

webfact

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The latest vaccination statistics for Phuket show that only 68% of the population are fully vaccinated while 87% have had at least one jab #PhuketSandbox #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1417831047098630145

Thanks for the info. Although I wouldn't call 68% "only" but that's a quibble. Of course to make it more useful, it would be nice to have a breakdown of vaccinations by type: sinovac vs. astrazeneca. And of course how those injections were distributed by age. Most likely Sinovac primarily to younger people and AZ to seniors. So far, the numbers look a lot better there than in most other provinces.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looking at it another way, that chart is telling you that almost 22% (more than 1 in 5) of all people who test positive for COVID in Bangkok and 5 adjoining provinces lately now have/end up with moderate to severe symptoms.

Ok but so what tho?

Just kidding. I will spare you guys the epic tirade that I am at risk of going on, and sign off for the day. Have a good evening everyone. ????

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

This is not meant as criticism.

Just one person's opinion.

I find the daily reports about the fascination with Phuket bit of slap in the face 

To talk about bars, restaurants etc open while in dark red zones in particular having increasing hardship and restrictions.

I live by the motto ...one in all in.

Even the number of vaccines directed to Phuket is slap in the face to rest of Thailand.

Yes, when the PM visited Phuket for the sandbox opening, I did post that I wondered how the rest of the country felt about it, particularly Bangkok.

It’s too late now, but it just shouldn’t have happened like that. Vaccines should have been directed as other countries did, to essential workers and high risk individuals first. Vaccines were a medical response to a health emergency. Medical protocols should have applied.

• Like 1

OTOH, digital minister is threatening to prosecute celebrities for criticizing govt for vaccine mismanagement. (Rattled by big-name celebs “calling out” in droves?)

First police summons has been issued. #Thailand copying the Myanmar model? #COVIDVaccines

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1417825197567070213

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

I suppose “only” because the sandbox wasn’t supposed to go ahead without 70% vaccinated.

I don’t know what the sinovac to AZ breakdown in Phuket is. I haven’t seen that information. But I think it very unlikely that AZ was directed to seniors. My personal experience was that in Udon Thani, where I first registered, I was initially told AZ was for 65 and up. But that supply ran out. When new supplies were obtained, I was told it would be 60 and up. My 53 year old wife was barred both occasions, I was barred the first time.

however, in Phuket, once I registered on the Phuket must win app, I was offered multiple sinovac appointments over the course of 2 weeks. I cancelled them all. Then I was offered an AZ appointment for the following day and took it. When I turned up for my jab, there were people seemingly aged from 20 to 90 being jabbed with AZ. Hard to say the proportion of ages, but certainly not predominantly seniors.

summery, Udon seemed to follow medical protocols, Phuket just offered whatever they had at the time, to anybody who registered.

just my personal experience.

This was early days. Remember that Phuket got a big head start. Of course, at first all they had was Coronavac. So I suspect considerably more were vaccinated with that than with the AZ vaccine. 

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

.... I was one of those idiots who said that Thailand doesn't rely on tourism. Feel like a moron now, the reality hit me in the head.

You are just a victim of the Thai Proud.

They would never say they were dependent on someone Foreigner.

The 15-20%BIP in tourism is only the half because they don't count all the millions who work and life in Tourist areas, earn at least some money to survive but don't pay tax. Massage, Bicycle-BBQ on the road, Taxi, Tuk Tuk, Souvenirs, Sun-beds rental etc pp.

Bar Girls who feed a whole family. Money is coming from nothing?

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

This was early days. Remember that Phuket got a big head start. Of course, at first all they had was Coronavac. So I suspect considerably more were vaccinated with that than with the AZ vaccine. 

Early days? My jab was last week.

but yes, early on all they had was sinovac. I think AZ appeared around second week of June when the “mass” roll out started. As I said, I don’t know the breakdown, but if guessing I would say 70% to 80% sinovac.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Wow lost for words but again no surprise. I still would like to know the true numbers in Thailand.

You will never get the true numbers here or anywhere else for that matter. Even in city states like Singapore they cannot be absolutely certain of their numbers.

The official numbers we see will be the best numbers we'll get.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

So when push comes to shove Thailand can climb down and lose face. This could be a game changer for 6-12 months time  if covax comes up trumps.

Covax to save the day? Really ? Once again Thailand will be late in the queue !

The producers of vaccines have long established  contractual obligations that esoteric considerations  of legalized commitment to surpass humanitarian ethics (and primary focus on profit)...

One  Government of  declared  wealth  contracted  450% of actual population need of (at that time)  developing  vaccine  whereas Thailand  defied  even practical precaution and advice and initially  procrastinated.

Then versus now  has demonstrated a confused  global inequity that the "Delta"  variant has  added a component of added complication.

Current  dissemination of  assertions as to superior efficacy or less is un-established in fact while the world is being pummeled as the commercial market plays the usual game.

The  very real and scary risk is that given the global proliferation of this Delta  variant that it increases the chances another even worse variant is more likely to develop in any highly un-vaccinated population .

Thailand is experiencing a comparative exponential increase in detected infections ( no doubt there are some who near orgasmic pleasure at the use of the word) which may continue as this virus  evolves to invade the most vulnerable of every and any sector of society.

Philosophical debate about the ramifications in the end result of this pandemic from a generic societal point of view is in real terms less important than that of the intent of global social engineers and opportunist war mongers in the shadows !

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Early days? My jab was last week.

but yes, early on all they had was sinovac. I think AZ appeared around second week of June when the “mass” roll out started. As I said, I don’t know the breakdown, but if guessing I would say 70% to 80% sinovac.

I think your estimate is round about right without the official data to hand of 70% to 80% sinovac administered in Phuket so far compared to AZ.

Regards farang, they were left the scraps of Sinovac starting from 3rd June. 

Thankfully some of us also got AZ later in the month.

Phuket foreigners to get leftover Sinovac

12 hours ago, law ling said:

Wow, all this and they still haven't even actually ordered sufficient quality vaccines  - just dribs and drabs. 

I wonder what their game plan actually is ...

The game plan will be the same as it was when they seized power in 2013 , they will never change it.

1 hour ago, tandor said:

...looks like we're going to reach 'herd immunity' quicker by developing our 'T' and 'B' cell responses, (natural means); long before we get anywhere near that by vaccinations. RIP those who have succumbed.

You are confused. The virus mutates rapidly. Those infected by earlier variants are liable to re-infection by a later version.

More to the point, for Thailand to reach natural herd immunity, millions would have to die.

Much better to vaccinate.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looking at it another way, that chart is telling you that almost 22% (more than 1 in 5) of all people who test positive for COVID in Bangkok and 5 adjoining provinces lately now have/end up with moderate to severe symptoms.

And the other 78%?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are confused. The virus mutates rapidly. Those infected by earlier variants are liable to re-infection by a later version.

More to the point, for Thailand to reach natural herd immunity, millions would have to die.

Perhaps so. But have the capacity or the  genuine will?

5 minutes ago, sampson said:

You need to look into the data more. 

The UK has the biggest testing programme in the world per million of the population.  More tests = more cases.  The UK has tested it's people more than 3 times on average and runs about 1-1.3M tests a day, somewhere in the region of 1.5-2% of it's population gets tested daily.  Around 2-2.5% of these have been coming back positive

Thailand on the other hand, with a similar population had on the last set of data I saw only been running around 75k tests a day and over 10% of them were coming back positive.  If Thailand was doing over a million tests a day, what would the covid numbers be?

yeah and a year ago were they even running tests except to arriving foreigners who would then be blamed for bringing in viruses...

6 minutes ago, sampson said:

You need to look into the data more. 

The UK has the biggest testing programme in the world per million of the population.  More tests = more cases.  The UK has tested it's people more than 3 times on average and runs about 1-1.3M tests a day, somewhere in the region of 1.5-2% of it's population gets tested daily.  Around 2-2.5% of these have been coming back positive

Thailand on the other hand, with a similar population had on the last set of data I saw only been running around 75k tests a day and over 10% of them were coming back positive.  If Thailand was doing over a million tests a day, what would the covid numbers be?

So more testing which is  retrospective in identifying individuals potentially if  not already responsable for cross infecting unknown others is more essential than mitigation measures to precept the potential?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

In the long run we all will be dead anyway. Or somehow like this... 

You would make a great defense counsel for an accused murderer:

"Your Honor, in the long run, we're all dead anyway, so what's the big deal?" 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Source and/or supporting calculations?

But yes. I agree that it is much better to vaccinate.

8 hours ago, anchadian said:

Coup rumor persists as government struggles to contain virus

Coup rumors within political and business circles have reached a crescendo this past week with many claiming that a putsch was imminent due to the worsening economic and Covid-19 situation.

The government has struggled to contain the pandemic with the country reporting more than 5,000 cases per day since June 28 with that number peaking over 10,000 cases per day for the past week.

The third wave, which started in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, has led to 397,612 cases and 3,408 deaths since April 1.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30223/coup-rumor-persists-as-government-struggles-to-contain-virus/

qT6uvG2Q?format=jpg&name=900x900

A coup is always possible in Thailand but no one is going to stage a coup in a crisis like this that is getting worse at an exponential rate. If there were to be one, it would happen when the crisis is still in progress but there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  They would not want to be blamed for making the situation worse. But there must be people shaking their heads at Prayut's performance behing the scenes and we need to take into account that his Eastern Tigers army faction that includes Prawit and Anuphong no longer rule the roost in the army.   

1 hour ago, impulse said:

If every province did exactly the same thing, how would you know what's working and what's not?  We know shutdowns are causing economic devastation.  But we don't know if they're reducing misery and deaths. 

here where i stay, rulling was (no local goverments could inforce about state) for all country and no exception, only inforcmant was stricter in big citys.

reliable we dont have more death than  US,DE,ES,or others in europe.

the damage was low , and GDP even growth in 2020 2,2% and this year 6%, even in worse days 60000 get covid, the health system coverd it and hospitals was quiet empty like normal, and this in a state with simmilar gdp like thailand

their was never a lockdown for tourists, the country boarders was open all time, without headaches ( max requirment was a pcr test). thats call reliable   and now tourism is back at 50% levels....bcs of reliable

for locals and residents was some  meassures, but was not inforced strictly outside major 3 cities

never was feel like locked ( and never used a <deleted>... mask anywhere on the streeets during last 2 years), and feeling to return to thai is now even less than last year.

already had 2 biontech even as foreigner,,all is open here and party goes on, maybe some rules after high season.......... and sinovac  they scrapped very early after the first injections, now 60% of population are vaccinated most with biontech ( even the state have big trouble with the usa, and are not best freinds)....

the way to sucess,  speed up vaccines, open  and leave live going....

Edited by lapamita