Thailand reports daily record of 15,335 coronavirus cases, 129 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

31 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

there is no "team" when facing that kind of catastrophe, we all go back to our primitive instinct

it's wired in us, and there is nothing you can do to change that, not even logical explanation

jesus, some people are just dreamers ????

fake anthropology

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

FULL..............this is where it gets to be a nightmare scenario for the doctors who have to decide who to save and who to let die as a result of no facilities

Hospital bed capacity in Bangkok and vicinity right now. Overcapacity for AIIR ICU, Modified AIIR, Cohort ICU, Isolated rooms, Cohort ward.

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1419229744134955017

I wonder, in real life, how you can have OVERCAPACITY occupancy when it comes to those kinds of isolation and ICU beds...   Are they stacking patients in double level hospital bunk beds???  (j/k)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

A good start would simply be to have authorities enforcing the rules they already have in place, and for the public to respect those rules more than they are.  Those two things alone would make a huge difference. 

Right now, authorities are only "talking the talk", not "walking the walk"

As an example, consider that intra-provincial travel was supposed to be heavily restricted this last week with strict road checkpoints in place into and out of Bangkok Province.

Anyone who had to go into Bangkok last week for vaccinations knows that not a single checkpoint existed on the entire route in either direction.  The crack down was all talk and no action. 

Bangkokians, many of whom may be infected, are just as free to travel to surrounding provinces today as they were before the new restrictions.  Is it any wonder that my Province of Chonburi is now a deep-red zone and now the #4 Province with the highest number of new cases?

A lot of the rules are stupid though and do not deserve to be respected or enforced which is part of the problem.    I find myself breaking the law on a regular basis.   Just today for example I was headed to the shops with my gf in her car and forgot to put my mask on during the drive there.   Later we will have wine with our meal which will mean breaking another law.   I also went out for a run earlier and yes, my mask was below my mouth so I could get oxygen on several occasions - another law broken.    

If the stupid rules were removed and just the sensible ones kept, then people might then respect them and it would make enforcement easier as there would be a smaller amount of people that do not.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand on Sunday reported 15,335 coronavirus cases, a daily record, bringing the country's cumulative cases to 497,302.

Fatality rate seems to be holding at about 0.8 percent. Hopefully that number will improve as they improve treatment protocol. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

but you will not escape the worst possible scenario, so what's the point? it's too late, just open up and live with it

people will take their own responsibility, if they want to stay lockdowns, nothing will stop them

Opening it up and dying with it has been tried, with catastrophic results. Apparently, you forgot India already.

• Like 2

Opening it up and dying with it has been tried, with catastrophic results. Apparently, you forgot India already.

No restrictions have been imposed because deaths were logistically untenable. They are values judgements, not intrinsic necessities.

We can argue about whether lockdowns or other restrictions are the optimal solutions to the situation, but it's incorrect to believe that they are the only viable path to addressing the situation. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A series of posts and replies to those have been removed, including several advocating non-compliance or resistance to government COVID restrictions and others mischaracterizing the public health measures taken to combat the so-called Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-1920.

9 hours ago, The Cipher said:

I shudder to ask this, but what stricter measures have they even got left in the bag at this point? 

Measures taken have already turned what was a nice place into a dystopian hellhole of boredom. What is there even left to close?

Have they put a ban on visiting other people's condos/homes, mixing with others outside your household? UK had that for months, guess what, some of my family members caught covid, one died and the reason,their friends popped over for a quick coffee and unbeknown to the visitors they were already infected with covid. You want to slow the the spread you have to stop all non essential contact between people.

• Like 2

First although it has started it must be done 24/7 and not during a few hours!  Movement of migrant workers must be stopped the measure must be much stricter than a slap on the wrist. Those caught their project will be close down and a massive fine 1 million baht minimum for start. If it is being done by contractors who have contracts with the government the contract should be voided, fined and the company seize under the Emergency Act government official in charge of these project need to make sure the rules are being followed if not they are to be removed ASAP personally I don't care who they are!

All testing in every province should have enough equipment and testing if needed must be free. A number of cases particularly here in Chon Buri reported car loads of migrants being brought in all infected because the contractor didn't want to pay for testing in another province so they took them to Banglamung where it is free if you are from the province. The contractor reported (lie) that the project was in Siriacha someone in the hospital figure it out.

Then you got the NHS medical system (30baht) if you are register in the province if not you pay a higher price when it comes to the poor it makes a difference. During the pandemic just test and treat allowing them to travel infected back to their province is just insane. I know a personal case where a person was from one province working in Bangkok, felt she was infected because of the system being poor she traveled back to her province and village that there weren't any testing equipment so they ran around until they found a location she was confirmed to have the virus meantime family that were in contact all had to be tested and quarantine.

This situation is easy to fix to stop movement.

Put your thinking caps on that would be a good start! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

But maybe we're at such a serious point now where even something as innocent as tipping your mask down in a restaurant to eat could infect someone near you, or you could be infected by them. 

Delta changed the rules of the game.  Look at the exponential growth over the past month.  More drastic restrictions are probably going to be required, whether any of us like it or not.

I'd like to think the numbers will go down on their own accord without restrictions but if you believe that, well, I have a Bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell you ????

I don’t disagree with a lot you have said. Of course, Changing the course of the virus after it has spread so widely is vastly different to changing its course after a single outbreak.

I don’t know what approach the Thai government is going to take, they seem fairly out of options tbh, which probably means it will be a continuation of the same. In other words, regulations issued, many of which are not enforced. The construction industry in Bangkok is a classic example of institutionalized rule breaking. Another is the non vaccination of the elderly, despite the government saying several times that it’s a priority.

I think one point to bear in mind is that at current rate of progress it will take just over a year to vaccinate 70% of the population. Maybe 70% isn’t a magic figure and it can be less, but whatever strategy they come up with, I feel that it needs to cover that kind of time period.

I think they are unlikely to have the will and tbh the  organization, to change the course of the virus now. they will try to mitigate it and people will try to keep themselves safe, but by enlarge, delta is in the driving seat.

I don’t mean to be pessimistic and I certainly don’t think we should give up, lives can and will be saved. But as far as I can see, the Thai government is fighting a tactical retreat that will last a year or whenever the delta variant burns itself out, whichever occurs soonest. The important thing now is to ensure that the tactical retreat doesn’t turn into a rout, which it actually seems close to being.

people will say this restriction doesn’t work and that restriction doesn’t work, and it’s true. None of them will “work” now. They can only reduce the effect of Covid because the government lost the chance of controlling the 3rd wave at its outset.

• Like 1

Another post with unsourced and unsubstantiated information has been removed, along with a reply to it.

PS - sorry to those who have replied to misinformation posts here. When a misinformation post is removed, the replies to it need to be removed also, and that is the forum's custom.

• Like 1

Phuket 28 new cases found today + another 2 from the sandbox. This will go on tomorrows figures.

90 cases in a week is the cut off point, if we take a week as the last 7 days then that is now 94.

July 19 - 3 new

July 20 - 6 new

July 21 - 10 new

July 22 - 18 new

July 23 - 18 new

July 24 – 11 new

Taken from https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-covid-cases-drop-but-still-in-double-digits-80815.php

July 25 - 28 new

Total: 94

May be an image of text that says '25 สถานการณ์โควิด-19 PKCD -19 ก.ค. 64 จังหวัดภูเก็ต (ระลอกเมษายน) ผู้ติดเชื้อรายใหม่ รักษาตัวใน รพ. ในภูเก็ต ด่างประเทศ 172 28 ราย ส่งออก 2 ราย โครงการรับผู้ป่วยกลับบ้าน รักษาหายกลับบ้าน เสียชีวิตวันนี้ เสียชีวิตสะสม ราย 787 0 10 ราย ราย ราย Ûx 2 ราย ตจว. 7. ดปก. 4 ผู้ติดเชื้อยืนยันสะสม 932 ราย Phukat โครษกา 25 12 ข้อมูล เวลา วันที่ ข้อมูลณเวลา19ะ0น.วันที่25กรกฎาคม2564 กรกฎาคม Û'

https://www.facebook.com/NewshawkPhuket/posts/2955339178049252

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Fatality rate seems to be holding at about 0.8 percent. Hopefully that number will improve as they improve treatment protocol. 

Hmm, improving treatment protocol may be difficult when people can’t be found beds in the hospital, ICU units are full and there are not enough ventilators for those that need them. From the current news reports, that is a reality in some areas of Bangkok and even in other provinces. Obviously not all.

we can hope that the fatality rate improves from what it is now (I’m not sure the one you quote is correct), but if the hospital system becomes further overwhelmed, it’s a sad fact that the rate may become worse.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Government officials said on Sunday that the latest results of their rapid antigen testing campaign to check for COVID in the Bangkok area found an overall positive rate of 11.8 percent -- 961 positive test results out of 8,126 tests conducted July 15 to 24.

The government said of the 961 people who tested positive, 926 were sent for home isolation, 10 were sent to community isolation centers and 25 were transferred to hospitals.

The U.S. CDC has endorsed the use of newer rapid antigen tests as an effective, quick and inexpensive means of testing for COVID, although the slower and more expensive RT-PCR tests are still considered the "gold standard" of such tests.

The rapid antigen tests, typically done via a nasal or throat swab -- are particularly effective when there's a high level of viral material present in the body that usually corresponds to high levels of contagiousness, but may miss actual positive infections in the early stages.

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/372429981041999

1049074292_2021-07-25Antigentests.jpg.5475d38c5f18a49101f494e427f800e1.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antigen-tests-guidelines.html#general-guidance

These are the same tests that the GF's ex, his family and her daughter were tested with 3 days ago, after they all tested positive and were showing symptoms they sent them to another facility for the PCR test itself.  Upon the daughter starting to really feel ill they sent her to the pediatric hospital treating children.  The PCR tests just came back today, verified as positive and the rest of the family was put on a list to be taken to a hospital, all 5 of them, with the daughter already in the hospital.  Luckily we had bought a regular medical policy and a Covid policy for the daughter and I am sure that's why she was taken to the hospital on Friday.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

These are the same tests that the GF's ex, his family and her daughter were tested with 3 days ago, after they all tested positive and were showing symptoms they sent them to another facility for the PCR test itself.  Upon the daughter starting to really feel ill they sent her to the pediatric hospital treating children.  The PCR tests just came back today, verified as positive and the rest of the family was put on a list to be taken to a hospital, all 5 of them, with the daughter already in the hospital.  Luckily we had bought a regular medical policy and a Covid policy for the daughter and I am sure that's why she was taken to the hospital on Friday.

Sorry to hear about the cases related to you.

one thing that struck me about the article you attached is that proactive tests found 25 people who were ill enough to be sent to a proper hospital. They must have been pretty sick and presumably at home.

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Phuket 28 new cases found today + another 2 from the sandbox. This will go on tomorrows figures.

90 cases in a week is the cut off point, if we take a week as the last 7 days then that is now 94.

July 19 - 3 new

July 20 - 6 new

July 21 - 10 new

July 22 - 18 new

July 23 - 18 new

July 24 – 11 new

Taken from https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-covid-cases-drop-but-still-in-double-digits-80815.php

July 25 - 28 new

Total: 94

May be an image of text that says '25 สถานการณ์โควิด-19 PKCD -19 ก.ค. 64 จังหวัดภูเก็ต (ระลอกเมษายน) ผู้ติดเชื้อรายใหม่ รักษาตัวใน รพ. ในภูเก็ต ด่างประเทศ 172 28 ราย ส่งออก 2 ราย โครงการรับผู้ป่วยกลับบ้าน รักษาหายกลับบ้าน เสียชีวิตวันนี้ เสียชีวิตสะสม ราย 787 0 10 ราย ราย ราย Ûx 2 ราย ตจว. 7. ดปก. 4 ผู้ติดเชื้อยืนยันสะสม 932 ราย Phukat โครษกา 25 12 ข้อมูล เวลา วันที่ ข้อมูลณเวลา19ะ0น.วันที่25กรกฎาคม2564 กรกฎาคม Û'

https://www.facebook.com/NewshawkPhuket/posts/2955339178049252

Yes we will be over 90, but I am afraid that as the Governor stated "There is no going back".  I feel that he was right.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, smedly said:

it was also recently reported that farting in a confined space could spread covid from an infected person - I kid you not, studies are now being carried out 

It does help with social distancing. 

• Haha 1