Cheap decent red wine

Kenny202

On 7/27/2021 at 11:02 AM, cjinchiangrai said:

When in Thailand, make sangria. The red wines are poor and overpriced and it is too damn hot. A little sangria over ice on the porch is very nice though.

For intercourse's sake, we don't "drink" wine, we pair it with our food, two or three times a week.

We share this with our wives and have sex after..

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, xylophone said:

Try the "Barwang"

Thx for the recommendation! Had a bottle of the Cabernet Sauvignon Hiltops 2011 (B500) last night. Delightful. Going back for 3 or 4 ASAP. So good...gonna O.D. on it for a while.????

PSX_20210826_115351_copy_1003x1483.thumb.jpg.b088d9ba424de26a35469057cb0042bf.jpg

• Like 1

Things change. Years ago I used to drink Barolo at 15 pounds a bottle. Mind you I always used to share it with my mate. I found that 3 glasses during dinner. was enough.

Now when at home I drink Mont Clair cut 50/50 with soda. It tastes enough like a wine to keep me happy and I can drink 5 or 6 glasses without a problem.

Mind you when I'm out I tend to drink whatever house wine is on offer. If I'm out of Pattaya I take some bottles of decent wine with me. Most places don't charge corkage if they don't sell wine

Going back even further I used to buy house wine in France to bring back at 50 pence a litre. Served ice cold it was drinkable but it had to be iced cold otherwise it was cr-p.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, clivebaxter said:

Rumours is a cheap Ozzie one 299 baht last time in Big C, then there is Hola, 219 you can just about call it wine. Wolf Blass at 399 is quite good 14% Shiraz

Are these fruit wines?

On 9/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, Farangdk said:

I would recommend Mouton Cadet for around 900. 

23 hours ago, Farangdk said:

When I buy wine myself, I always buy Amarone.

And how often is that and also at Foodland? 

Big difference between those 2 not just in style but price as well

16 hours ago, topt said:

And how often is that and also at Foodland? 

Big difference between those 2 not just in style but price as well

Wife and I drink wine once every week to our dinner. Amarone I buy several places. Among the places I buy is Villa Marked, Foodland. Correct, little difference in price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I can't find good cheap wine in Thailand. I can tolerate a wine called Hope's End Red Blend that I buy at Food Mart for around THB 550 for a 750ml bottle. It's not good, but it beats everything else I have tried in the under THB 600 (USD $18) price point.

I had no problem at all in Australia or the States finding good cheap wine. One of my favorite cheap wines back home is USD $10 but here that same bottle is THB 999 (USD $30).

On 7/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, nickmondo said:

i drink this one all the time when i am at my place in Spain.

Only costs 120 baht there though..........

I know they have to pay taxes, import costs etc.........but prices ridiculous here

Is that you Bob......:giggle:

On 7/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, clivebaxter said:

Rumours is a cheap Ozzie one 299 baht last time in Big C, then there is Hola, 219 you can just about call it wine. Wolf Blass at 399 is quite good 14% Shiraz

Decent Aussie red at Tops 399 baht can't remember the name.

2 litres of Red (or White) Grape concentrate = Bht 810 from Nuboon on Lazada. 6litres of water, 1/2 pack of Yeast, 300 gm sugar. My hydrometer says 15%. Leave for 1 week, decant into another glass container, leave two more weeks minimum. Final cost about Bht 105 PER LITRE.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:36 PM, HarrySeaman said:

I love a glass of wine with dinner or before bed while soaking in my Jacuzzi (Don't get excited, I wouldn't have it if it hadn't been there when I rented the house, it is outdoors in a courtyard, and it is unheated so only useful about 6 months of the year.) 

I gave up on boxed wines as a bad idea after trying a number of them.

Next I gave up on bottled "fruit wines", i.e. wines diluted with fruit juices.

I couldn't afford the cost of good wine every day in Thailand so I just buy a good bottle of red and another of white once a month.  I trade quality for quantity.

As a side note, wine and other spirits are affordable in Cambodia.  Since there is no import duty sometimes the cost is less than in the country where they were bottled.  A drinkable table wine can be had for $4 or less.  You can legally bring back a bottle of alcohol to Thailand without paying duty so, before COVID-19, I usually brought back a bottle of an expensive spirit that cost about 1/3 of the Thai price.  That plus savings on medications, that are significantly lower than I pay at Thai pharmacies, would pay a good part of the travel costs.

Useful info, will buy good alcohol when next coming back into Thailand.