Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Great info. I share your passion for the culture, the music and the arts, which is sorely lacking here, from my point of view. And miss that. And I remember many of the positive and uplifting influences of the past here, which are sorely missed now. 

Not trying to be nasty or anything, but I think you expressed anti government opinions before corona happened, so I'm puzzled as to why you remained in LOS if wine, proper music, Euro culture, and the arts are important to you. Not much of that in evidence in all my years in LOS.

Even the museums are pathetic compared to those in London.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MayBeNow said:

I think there are very few foreigners that have a Thai male friend, a buddy, a mate. The only time i came close to having male buddies i had in Myanmar. People seem more open minded there in my opinion, can be the legacy of colonialism.

In my own country we are inundated with foreigners, i dont care at all about them, the males i mostly loath, i just dont want to interact with 98%. I know i aint political correct but it is what it is. 

It might be Thai guys feel the same about us... i guess so... 

Basically we come here and bang their sisters, not so nice for them now is it?

There might be an element of envy, or resentment. But, I think it is mostly an astonishing lack of curiosity about the outside world, or anything outside their little cliques?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Great post. And kudos to you for surviving both your illnesses, and the wicked ex-wife. She sounds like the Nightmare from Elm Street. Eating Taco Bell is like sleeping with your ex. I feel horrible afterwards, and I am always drunk when I do it. 

Perhaps we can invent some new terminology for someone in your position. Instead of divorced, maybe:

survivor of a terrorist ex

survivor of a heartless fool

survivor of a cruel beast, pretending to be a woman

or horrific spouse survivor?

We do hear the stories about Thai woman being indoctrinated by women overseas. Guess it just depends on what they were made of, to begin with. 

Hag from hell.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

There might be an element of envy, or resentment. But, I think it is mostly an astonishing lack of curiosity about the outside world, or anything outside their little cliques?

Oh c'mon man! That's definitely not exclusive to Thais.

No one I know in home country, or the UK when I was working there ever expressed any interest in anything outside their little bubbles. That includes my family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

WE feel the same like you. 

And we too explored Spain and Portugal with a Motorhome, what we bought. And we didn't like temps rising to more than 40 centigrades. Many foreigners try to sell their properties already. 

However, considering climate change we opt for Denmark. House price are very decent.  The next few years you'll have nice weather all year round with spring, summer, and mild winter.

What do you think? ????

Way too expensive, and way too cold for us. But, thanks for thinking of us. Good fortune to you.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Thai wife's brothers never seemed to mind me banging their sister.

They always tried to take me out whoring with them.

I always used to say "I can't go, I'm married to your sister"

They would always reply "You don't tell our wives and we won't tell our sister"

And that would be considered the epitome of discretion. Letting your brother in law take you out whoring. Wonder how long that would remain a "family secret".

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I could go on and on, all day long. I live at a level here, that I would never be able to live at, in the US, in most of Europe, in Oz, or Canada. Yes, the higher baht is an annoyance. And yes things are more expensive than they used to be. But, it is very relative.

Fair enough. For me it was the cost of living and the temperature. I hate being cold.

I had less money than you, but as I didn't frequent bars anymore, or rent women, I had enough.

The killer for me was the cost of medical insurance.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, MayBeNow said:

I think there are very few foreigners that have a Thai male friend, a buddy, a mate.

I did for a while and we had fun. But sooner or later he the conversation would turn to his business and why I should invest in it and that just got too tiresome.

• Haha 1

Tanomazu, so sorry to hear what's happening to Spain. It's 15 years since I've been there.

I would look to buy in a still traditional country area quite close to the sea, golf (for social reasons as much as anything), and good mountain walking.

Every week on 'eyeonspain.com' newsletter I see properties that look lovely and are not too pricey. Brit owners want to sell quickly,. although I can't think why as Spain has a very good record of COVID vaccination.

What is one allowed to say about the influx of immigrants situation in Europe and the UK? Lawful and unlawful immigrants.

What you say reminds of beautiful Venice as portrayed I'm sure extremely accurately in the very fine series of Inspector Brunetti novels by the gifted American  Donna Leon. She writes so convincingly, about the seemingly 'endemic' corruption too.

Whatever happens, I won't go back to England. I love it too much (or at least what it was). It will survive without me.    (It will still have my taxes, of course!)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, siftasam said:

Every week on 'eyeonspain.com' newsletter I see properties that look lovely and are not too pricey. Brit owners want to sell quickly,. although I can't think why as Spain has a very good record of COVID vaccination.

Brits no longer have the right to live in Spain since Brexit.

Not much point in owning a house you can only live in for 90 days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I learned some years ago not to discuss anything controversial with any woman, as it always ended badly. Say the slightest thing to offend their sensibilities and it's like the end of the world armageddon. Of course they can never be wrong, as I found with my wife.

Treat them like puppies. Pats on head and treats.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The Vietnamese were hostile towards an Asian woman being with a Western man.

Probably your imagination, but Vietnamese don't have a lot of respect for Thais anyway and probably figured your wife for a Thai ho' and you for a john. Actually farang in Thailand similarly stereotype, just without the hostility, real or imagined.

I know Western guys living in 'Nam with Vietnamese wives and gf who report no such hostility. And "nice" Vietnamese girls seem much less reluctant, and therefore unconcerned about "hostility," to date a Western man than "nice" Thai girls, the latter seemingly a lot more mercenary.

OK, while we are on the topic of nonsense, this is specifically addressed to the "defenders of the realm", who often say they are not doing a bad job here, look around the world at all the Covid problems.

My chief complaints about Covid here are the uneven way the lockdowns and shutdowns, and restrictions are imposed, and the mega failure of the vaccination program.

So, I have a riddle for you guys. Just went to Tesco. There were typical clusters of three to eight people waiting on line. Outside, all of the small shops were shut down. A small shop in front usually has one person working, who is serving one customer, at most, in the fresh air, with circulation. So, how is this a greater hazard than the groups inside Tesco, with little circulation, and the same applies to Home Pro, Makro, etc.?

Any reasonable explanation for this? Or is it simple picking on the little guy, and sabotaging more lives and more economic potential? 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Probably your imagination, but Vietnamese don't have a lot of respect for Thais anyway and probably figured your wife for a Thai ho' and you for a john. Actually farang in Thailand similarly stereotype, just without the hostility, real or imagined.

I know Western guys living in 'Nam with Vietnamese wives and gf who report no such hostility. And "nice" Vietnamese girls seem much less reluctant, and therefore unconcerned about "hostility," to date a Western man than "nice" Thai girls, the latter seemingly a lot more mercenary.

Actually, my wife has a "Pan Asian" look, and they were constantly starting conversations with her in Viet, so your presumptions were all wrong. And by the way she dresses, they would likely not mistake her for a working girl. And this was not an occasional thing. It was often, both in the north and the south. 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Actually, my wife has a "Pan Asian" look, and they were constantly starting conversations with her in Viet, so your presumptions were all wrong. And by the way she dresses, they would likely not mistake her for a working girl. And this was not an occasional thing. It was often, both in the north and the south. 

Pan Asian was a airlines

• Haha 1

I did a runner a few years ago, ranged as far as South America, via EU and the Philippines. I came back in less than 18 months. I enjoy good undiluted wines, but I reconcile the luxury taxes knowing that the way prices are in Australia, mid range wine here is not much more than the cost of the same brands sold in Australia. Old world wines are even cheaper, and when one considers all the other savings here, it balances out.

It will get worse here, we are absolutely going to get a hard core coup barring divine intervention, or maybe even because of it. But until they really turn on us foreign devils, I'll keep quietly gaming the system as best I can. My ultimate lurk to date was getting quality seized weed off a senior coppers kid, who is also a big time stoner!

Rather proud of that one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Actually, my wife has a "Pan Asian" look, and they were constantly starting conversations with her in Viet, so your presumptions were all wrong.

Then that doesn't seem hostile after all.???? Then they found out she wasn't in fact a Viet but most likely a Thai, as accompany so many farang to Vietnam, with the same job class.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And by the way she dresses, they would likely not mistake her for a working girl.

Wrong. Working girls don't always appear like working girls. Smarter ones often don't. All AseanNow members know that.