Swiss tourist dead, believed raped, murdered in Phuket Sandbox

Jonathan Fairfield

23 hours ago, BE88 said:

Sand box killer

Now forget Swiss tourists in Thailand

Sadly, a suspect may soon appear, probably named cinderala, those shoes will fit and the DNA will match and he might be a construction worker. 

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. 

A tragedy very sad. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, phetpeter said:

With the Island in lockdown it shouldn't take long to track her movements and and find the murderer.  

Could possibly have left the sandbox, on and out of Suvarnabhumi, then all Burmese on the island will be interrogated 

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Once upon a time the Prime Minister of this country said something similar..

Thai PM apologizes for bikini comment after murder of British tourists

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-britain-murders-idUSKBN0HD1QY20140918

Given the situation (sandbox) and the mega-desperation for the tourist revenue, and the shock and brutality of the crime, and the status of the victim, it's a perfect-storm. The pm was suitably grave and concerned, now, so no flippant comments this time.

Thailand/Phuket marketed the sandbox on several levels, sun, sand, fun, escape from COVID and "safety". They pushed ''safety' hard, and of course, that meant safe from COVID. But for prospective customers, safety means whatever they think it means to themselves. Surviving a holiday probably factors into any safety concerns?

Yes, crime happens everywhere, but even with a quick arrest, the demand for sandbox travel is sure to fall off as customers look for alternatives. The sandbox will continue, if only to give returnees a Bangkok/ASQ alternative.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

It is a very bad story. But why people would like to come here as TOURISTS? There must be a different motivation than just to be a tourist. There is no holiday feeling here. At least this is what I think. 

Some people just prefer to walk a different path.  42+ years ago in Loei, we saw a young farang couple (Irish) walking down in the bed of the Loei river (dry season) by my future wife's house.  Huh?  I hailed them and they came up and my MIL fed them and we had a great time. Back then, folks were gracious. 

Now, sadly, it's gotten a bit rougher.  RIP this lady, just damn. 

In 1977, one of my fellow Peace Corps volunteers was sent back to the U.S. before training finished.  She was a very attractive "California" girl, liked to party and drink with we guys. Wore short shorts and all that.  She was too hot for her own good. They knew that no good would come of that.

Edited by Damrongsak

A terrible thing to happen RIP. BUT From what I understand she was not a tourist (a swiss government official), like many others who arrived in Phuket, but this government likes to hide the truth and wants the world to think TOURISTS are rushing to come.

• Confused 2

On 8/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, stevenl said:

Why? There have been more people killed here, there are people killed everywhere.

WHY???!!! 

The Thai Government invites tourists to come to a location promoted as a special 'sandbox zone'. Leading visitors to believe this is an isolated and controlled environment and one of your visitors ends up raped, murdered and dumped in a river bed!! 

This story will go viral internationally!! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, zzzzz said:

and as all tourists are required to download the tracking Mor Chana app//.. they will be ablee to track her previous places visited.

It sounds like they know exactly where she went since arriving. The first 48 is ticking

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:02 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Plenty other places to visit. Why would anyone go somewhere with this sort of thing going on. Google tourist murders in Thailand and the murders in Koh Tao are top of the list of 528,000 results. The following are not happy reading either.

Life is full of risks. And some ppl tragically find themselves at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Should these stories should teach ppl to use a little more rigorous  judgement ? I guess so. But millions of tourists do the same thing each year without being killed. Its just the odds. The hidden game of chance in life.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Heng said:

Disgusting.  Any place that can't take care of its guests doesn't deserve to have any.   

Well that then probably applies to most countries around the world because apart from locking the person up for the duration of their stay I am not sure what else could be done in a practical sense to protect them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Life is full of risks. And some ppl tragically find themselves at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Should these stories should teach ppl to use a little more rigorous  judgement ? I guess so. But millions of tourists do the same thing each year without being killed. Its just the odds. The hidden game of chance in life.

Thailand markets itself as a safe tourist destination. False advertising?

9 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Meanwhile back in Phuket

13 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Far more tourists were harmed on Thai roads than by being attacked. The difference is they don't have the same shock factor despite being far more likely to happen. I had 18 months off work due to a bus driver falling asleep but never been attacked by anyone here.

Edited by chang1

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It has made the the BBC, Washington Post, DW and several other international news outlets now. Plus it is all over social media which is probably more viral these days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58112979

Small notes and has already died down. 3 more lines when the killer has been caught.

• Haha 2

On 8/6/2021 at 8:24 AM, Andycoops said:

Very sad news, heartfelt condolences to her family and friends. RiP.

I agree entirely, so why the sad emo? I can only assume the poster has his/her own interpretation

of a sad emo.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Small notes and has already died down. 3 more lines when the killer has been caught.

You believe so, well you might want to look again as she was a Swiss Government official. That's big news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

'Killer' could possibly be plural.

Possibly could be someone recently released from prison on the King's amnesty?

Or someone sleeping rough around the waterfall hence the blanket/cloth sheet used as protection from the elements and was covering the victim. 

Edited by bobandyson