Where would you choose to be for the next 12 months? If you could be Whisked Off on a Magic Carpet, all expenses paid, Where would you Be?

On 8/7/2021 at 4:21 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Pattaya.

Right on!
Ellsmere Island, Aruba, French Polynesia, Arizona? All those places may have their own charm, but getting "routine" after a while.
Not so Pattaya. Pattaya can be a daily new adventure if one want's it to be. Can travel around the world, but there is no second Pattaya.
- There are literally 10'000ends of Farangs sitting in Europe, waiting for Pattaya to re-open.
Let's hope Pattaya will re-open gradually (only vaccinated folks, for example), otherwise there might not be enough Bars etc etc to handle the onslaught of visitors, them being convinced that Pattaya is the most exiting little town in the universe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I don't have any photographic equipment, but this morning I took a few pictures with 30 s exposure with my phone. 

Plenty of clear night sky in Thailand. 

Challenge: Spot the gecko. 

20210808_051135.jpg

20210808_051537.jpg

20210808_052415.jpg

Some good viewing right now. Saturn was in conjunction a few days ago, and Jupiter is very prominent. I just nipped out to my driveway and took a picture of each through my telescope. Didn't bother aligning it or doing anything special with the photos, just click and download to computer:

image.png.c9302f17bf9eacfa1555dea84d6e4a4d.png

image.png.db3de998d437db3121302f2502821563.png

• Like 2

Actually London and the East Anglia are rather agreeable just now, with everything opening up again, people ditching their face masks and covid vaccinations available to all; if only the weather were a bit better this summer. With Thailand's glory days as a tourist venue probably well and truly over, at least for the foreseeable future, it's nice to read others' thoughts on alternatives. Hopefully people will be wise enough to enjoy their vision of  paradise without destroying what they seek.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Simon 43.  What is it like in North Laos Luang Prabang and environs ?  What is the most direct route from Chonburi Province, Thailand ? For a single guy looking for love is it advisable to to base there?

Hi, it's really all about peace and natural beauty.  The most direct route would be to fly from Bangkok, but you can't enter Laos unless you are returning to your job or family.  I'd say it is maybe one of the worst places for a single guy looking for love!  This is because of the no-sex-before-marriage law for foreigners with Lao partners.  (Relationships do seem to be OK for older guys looking for a serious relationship, but the young bucks would probably attract police or villager attention...

35 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Hi, it's really all about peace and natural beauty.  The most direct route would be to fly from Bangkok, but you can't enter Laos unless you are returning to your job or family.  I'd say it is maybe one of the worst places for a single guy looking for love!  This is because of the no-sex-before-marriage law for foreigners with Lao partners.  (Relationships do seem to be OK for older guys looking for a serious relationship, but the young bucks would probably attract police or villager attention...

About 43 years ago in Loei, I actually kissed my bride-to-be, at her home.  Once.  Back then, if she was so much as seen together with you unaccompanied, her reputation was tarnished. I use to take her and two siblings or girlfriends to the Chinese Kung <deleted> movies in Loei town.  Seats were 5-7-10 Baht depending on where you sat. My wife just said we got the middle priced seats.  Then you have to feed them Khanoms at the night market. 50-60 Baht for a night out for four.  Life was good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

About 43 years ago in Loei, I actually kissed my bride-to-be, at her home.  Once.  Back then, if she was so much as seen together with you unaccompanied, her reputation was tarnished. I use to take her and two siblings or girlfriends to the Chinese Kung <deleted> movies in Loei town.  Seats were 5-7-10 Baht depending on where you sat. My wife just said we got the middle priced seats.  Then you have to feed them Khanoms at the night market. 50-60 Baht for a night out for four.  Life was good.

Not quite that long ago I took a girl out of a massage place and she refused to walk near me in public, as didn't want to be seen for what she was.

That was the beginning of a steep learning curve for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not quite that long ago I took a girl out of a massage place and she refused to walk near me in public, as didn't want to be seen for what she was.

What made you think that, that was the reason she didn't want to be seen near you?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That was the beginning of a steep learning curve for me.

She has to live with the aftermath of that, you don't. Fortunately for us, we have friends and relatives in Loei town and have been married for over 40 years.  Who gives a <deleted> about what people think?  Well, the last couple times I visited after 10-15 years, the people in the market hailed me by name and I felt like royalty. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What makes you think there was another reason? Were you following us?

You've replied with 2 questions of your own, but no answer to mine............................

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, malthebluff said:

Maug islands or any other with same weather and not many visitors.like you it's always been my dream and  I've been looking all my life 

That is a pretty desolate place, not even a palm tree to sit under.

Since we are just dreaming, I would like a few days exploring Pitcain Island and walk in the footsteps of Fletcher Christian. 

1 hour ago, bojo said:
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What made you think that, that was the reason she didn't want to be seen near you?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What makes you think there was another reason? Were you following us?

1 hour ago, bojo said:

You've replied with 2 questions of your own, but no answer to mine............................

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You can believe what I posted or not. Makes no difference to me.

Bye.

I believe totally what you posted................ 'she refused to walk near me in public,'...............

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Lived/Worked in Singapore for 12 years & loved the place but after 3 months of living there I realised that one of the things I liked most about living there was the fact that I could easily travel to other places (Changi Airport is rightly constantly voted the best airport in the world) so I consider myself very lucky to have moved fulltime to Bangkok on 19th Feb 2020 just before the 1st lockdowns hit international travel, otherwise I would have gone insane by now.

Yes I know it's bad in Thailand at the moment, but prior to this latest lockdown it was easy enough to book a villa by the beach somewhere for a couple of weeks holiday, couldn't see myself doing that in Singapore. 

You were lucky. I only lived there for 27 months, but they were wonderful. I was there early 70s so before it went all sterile. Bugis street was as sanuk as it comes, but that got shut down by the government.

I'd still like to live there, but only if I was rich, rich, rich.

It does seem as though it lost it's soul to wealth.

• Like 1