Advice regarding Keeping Cool in Thailand... Without breaking your bank account

1 minute ago, madmen said:

You dummy. Only an idiot would sign whatever is in front of them without question 

Yes! 

I was a dummy for years. 

Yet, I am less a dummy than I once was, concerning AC machines, and the bonus for landlords. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's almost funny when newbies try to give advice to more newbies. 

How old should one be, before one is not considered a newbie? 

2 years in Thailand? 

20 years in Thailand? 

40 years in Thailand? 

I just hope that I can, someday, reach 60 years, since my first time in Thailand. 

Maybe I will. 

I ain't planning on going nowhere, anytime soon. 

I plan on having my ashes scattered here. 

70 years, for me, in Thailand, is not inconceivable, Lord willing. 

Thank the Lord, I chose Panasonic! 

• Haha 1

Not sure if you know about the laws that exist. Sure they are mostly not enforced but they exist. If your landlord has more than 5 units (if I remember correctly) he cannot charge you more than the rate that he gets charged. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Not sure if you know about the laws that exist. Sure they are mostly not enforced but they exist. If your landlord has more than 5 units (if I remember correctly) he cannot charge you more than the rate that he gets charged. 

May we quote on this? 

If true, then most of us would be charged 5Bt., and no more, per KwHr. 

Are you joking???. 

1 hour ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Considering the fact that you need an AC in each room, which ever one you are occupying, you’re look at buying several ACs and Install them to save what amounts to $20 a month in the best case scenario.

no thanks bud 

Sorry my friend, 

But you may not know that from which you speak, unfortunately. 

For example, if you run an 18,500 BTU AC, flat out, for one month, and if the EER (SEER), is 23, then you can expect to pay about Bt. 3000.00 per month. 

The Panasonic AC, 18,500 BTU, is rated at about 1000 watts. 

However, if you choose to purchase an AC which is half as efficient, then your energy cost will double. 

So, contrary to what you had incorrectly uttered, the savings for choosing the most efficient AC machine could be up to Bt.3000.00 per month. 

But of course, this depends upon how you use your machine... And, only you know how you use your little machine. 

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

May we quote on this? 

If true, then most of us would be charged 5Bt., and no more, per KwHr. 

Are you joking???. 

No. It is in the middle of the night for me and I know the laws here. But just look at this - if it doesn't convince you I will look for further sources at daytime ????

http://www.thailawforum.com/new-thai-lease-law-empowers-renters/

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As we know, many landlords levy a surcharge on top of normal electricity costs charged by the power companies. I suppose, if this is part of the contract you sign up for, then all is fair, like love and war. 

That typically happens when someone rents an apartment, not a condo or a house. Or in other words, with low end rentals.

Which makes me doubt that the advice you give is very practical. How many of those who rent an apartment could afford to buy their own high efficiency a/c? How many apartment landlords would allow you to install your own a/c?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, most of the places adding money on top of an elec bill are short term rentals, apartments or condos trying to be hotels etc, a couple of weeks/months. Places where you dont sign a lease. And places where there would be no option to fit your own AC unit.

99% of long term rentals, where you sign a lease, the power bill (the internet bill, the cable bill) comes straight to you in the letterbox.

Good to know. 

Thank you. 

I will pass your survey to my long-term landlord. 99%? 

My landlord must be among the 1 percent. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, david555 said:

Did you calculated how many kw elec. The newcomer must consume before he got his AC. Investment payd back .....? Depends how long he go stay in Thailand and in that condo ?

Just comparing to the +/- 3 to 4 baht the landlord pocket extra on kw.price..

A.C. is now not really a portable thing  to move and install by moving to another condo...

Why not if he falls in love with his beautiful air conditioner, everything is possible, 1500 B for the new installation

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Why not if he falls in love with his beautiful air conditioner, everything is possible, 1500 B for the new installation

BT. 2500.00 to move the AC from one building to another. 

True, as you say, I love my Panasonic machine. 

Short time, 

Long time, 

It's good. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

BT. 2500.00 to move the AC from one building to another. 

True, as you say, I love my Panasonic machine. 

Short time, 

Long time, 

It's good. 

Someone loves his big bike or his car or his dog or Panasonic machine more than his GF.  Nobody is perfect Lol

• Haha 2

I think the OP has caught a case of Thai logic.

The logical advice would be surely be along the lines of "make sure you move in to somewhere that you can pay directly for your electricity" rather than buying and fitting your own personal ac units to rented accommodation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Was not only questioning about a move to other condo , but calculating how many kw extra fee from landlord would be needed to become break even at a surplus from mostly 3 baht a kw....., could understand if he come to retire for a 10 years

• Like 1

As said the laws have changed and most must charge government electric rate these days.  The issue is spending money for nothing - it is the tenant paying the bill so as long as the ac is working no incentive to change.

As for noise - what noise?  Split AC units used in Thailand are so much more quiet than the junk used in many other countries.  But some cheap plastic on cheaper brands will indeed be junk.  And those are more likely to be found in cost conscious rental units.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, david555 said:

Was not only questioning about a move to other condo , but calculating how many kw extra fee from landlord would be needed to become break even at a surplus from mostly 3 baht a kw....., could understand if he come to retire for a 10 years

15 months is enough to recoup cost of Panasonic AC. 

No need for you to wonder further. 

Yes, it would be logical if you could be sure that renting in that location is something you will want to do for years... so, it only really works in hindsight or if luck be with you... may be some advantage if you make an agreement w/the landlord that you will keep the a/c when you leave and that you will pay for all costs of re-installing etc... 

but considerate thoughts - it is nice to keep cool... keeping the body temp low is key.. once you overheat it can take a long time to cool back down...

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

15 months is enough to recoup cost of Panasonic AC. 

No need for you to wonder further. 

I still do wonder , but it is your freedom to do so ......especially  as a newbie .... 

Only 1 thing we have in common ....i also have . Panasonic A.C ????

But at gov. rate straight with even deduction ...Covid deduction maybe ?

39 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Just rent a condo that gives you electricity at government rates. End of story. 

But that should not be the end of story - government rates on an old inefficient air con is money lost to renter - no money lost to landlord unless renters refuse to accept second rate units.  Check the SEER/cost of operation information on stickers before renting.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:55 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

How old should one be, before one is not considered a newbie? 

2 years in Thailand? 

20 years in Thailand? 

40 years in Thailand? 

I just hope that I can, someday, reach 60 years, since my first time in Thailand. 

Maybe I will. 

I ain't planning on going nowhere, anytime soon. 

I plan on having my ashes scattered here. 

70 years, for me, in Thailand, is not inconceivable, Lord willing. 

Thank the Lord, I chose Panasonic! 

The problem with your logic is this.  

If you buy an AC unit that is mounted on the wall then you are responsible for either 

a. leaving it there

b. paying for the repairs to the unit for the holes that have to be drilled.

A best case scenario is by a fan that works good and use it and showers to keep cool.

As to saving money you might save a few baht but unless yo live in that apartment or house for a long time you will never recoup the cost of th4e AC