So what did you get out of the 2020 Olympics?

ASEAN NOW News

Did not follow the Olympics, though i was pleased to see that my small country ended up in the top 10. Then again i did not compete so pride did not come into it as i feel only those competing should be proud. I mean how can anyone get pride from a feat they have nothing to do with. 

Anyway to those that watched and enjoyed hope it was a good diversion from covid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Why?

All the women and their mouthpiece did was bad mouth the US.  To me the U.S. Women's team is a bunch of spoilt babies.  They sign a contract and agree to it. Then they not only want to keep everything in their contract but they also want all the benefits that the men's team gets. While the Men's team got one of the benefits that they had.

• Confused 1

For those whinging, your comments are off topic. The topic is not a platform for your ill-perceived and pre-conceived opinions of validity of the games or any of its merits or otherwise. So please don't spoil it for those who DID get something from it.

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

What I learned....

Japan is one of the most difficult countries in the world to enter now

Most people who would normally be issued visas have been locked out for 16 months

No tourism allowed. Must be working PR etc., but No new visas are being issued unless married

Months of anti-foreigner government/media messaging. 80 percent wanted cancellation

The Japan government is a slave to foreign corporate interests, but it was totally safe

The Olympics participants were 70 percent vaccinated.

The participants were given a special entry with short quarantines under  "Playbook" rules

• They did 600,000 tests for a 0.02 positive rate. Most of those were Japan residents who were going home everyday

conclusion - IT IS TIME TO STOP THIS NONSENSE AND OPEN THE COUNTRY!

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

All the women and their mouthpiece did was bad mouth the US.  To me the U.S. Women's team is a bunch of spoilt babies.  They sign a contract and agree to it. Then they not only want to keep everything in their contract but they also want all the benefits that the men's team gets. While the Men's team got one of the benefits that they had.

No idea what  you are on about regarding benefits or signed contracts. 

When did the women’s team bad mouth the USA?

Actually it would be very helpful if you could make clear which sport you are talking about. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Why?

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

No idea what  you are on about regarding benefits or signed contracts. 

When did the women’s gymnastics team bad mouth the USA?

It it  is because the vile man who squatted in the White house for 4 years has a very fragile ego and made personal attacks against the US Women's National Soccer team members supposed "wokeness" . Trump said wokeness made them lose. They won a Bronze medal. No way that Canada and Sweden could be more "woke" than the US team but they finished Gold and Silver.  There is always politics in sport a Belarussian athlete had to escape to Poland. Whats an Olympics without a defection?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Debate about how young is too young to start the pressure of high level competition.

Joy at seeing so many so many countries winning a medal for the first time. Sport is the big winner. 

Happiness that Japan was rewarded for being brave enough to state this mammoth event in these times, despite a huge amount of misgiving amongst the population before the event. 

Pride that my country finished fourth in the medal table. Not only a reward for the hard work of athletes, but a vindication of the COVID policies followed in the UK which did not put a large dent in our entry. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

It was indeed a good diversion from Covid and a good coverage on Thai tv ( basic Truevisions ).

I particularly enjoyed the speed climbing, a great new addition I thought, not so much the skateboarding although I did admire the skills of the youngsters.

The Olympics always has something for everyone I feel.

Shame it is over, I could watch the various different sports everyday and , although I am a Brit, I didn’t really support any particular athlete, just pleased to see everyone giving their all !!

If I had to say what was the least pleasant part I would say the closing ceremony which seemed to drag on forever, the rest of it …… excellent !!

The speed climbing was magnetic. Loved it. 

In fact, they did look stuck to the wall sometimes! 

• Like 1

I didn’t think I would watch any, but once I started it was very entertaining. Enjoyed the boxing, men and women, bicycling on the velodrome, climbing was fascinating, athletics, always enjoy the long races 10,000 and 5,000 meters, 1,500 meters, sprints, rowing, javelin and discus, swimming. They were really affected by the new running shoes…..joke!

Because of no audience the camaraderie between the athletes was fantastic, and supporting each other win or lose with hugs. Many know each other from the Diamond League. Sailing races were amazing, Brits winning gold by just a meter. The kids on their little bikes winning medals at thirteen. The knowledgeable Brit commentators from the assorted sports…fantastic. The Brit married couple with riding medals…..12 golds between them…..Wow!

• Like 1

Olympics is becoming irrelevant. Many sports are not played by most people on earth. It is predominately based on traditions of the past. Javelin, shooting, fencing, archery to name a few were relevant in the Romans etc times encouraging the youngsters to join the army. They have no place in today's world. Instead they should focus on what young people are interested in. The continuous scandals and corruption involved in selecting the host nation is another reason why the current model should be replaced by a more relevant one. Pros inability to participate in some sports is another example of poor organization. Australia nonetheless was the best (based on population). If it was the size of USA for example with now less than 1/10 of the population it would have got gold more than at least twice that of USA. It was however good that USA beat China overall. 

I got that the track was quite unique.  It was described as bouncy, and I believe it had a very measurable effect on the lower times in so many running events.  That 400 M mens hurdles.  The guy broke the record just a month or so before then shattered it again. 

I am old enough to remember running on a cinder track in High School!  I think it is not a fair comparison for so many records.  Of course people train better now, eat better, and with millions more athletes to choose from, performances should improve.  But like any track and field meet, what counts is how you perform on that day.  Time records... nice to record and use as training metrics, but not relevant the day of the meet

I have watched only athletics, for me it's the basis of sport and I like the atmosphere in the stadium, athletes congratulating each other, emotions, smiles, cries etc ... but so sad no spectators !

But now there are too many sports, I wonder what some are doing here, but maybe I am too classical and old fashion 

Congratulation for japanese organisation , it must not be easy to do it, specially in Covid period 

Have always enjoyed many of the serious (old) Olympic events but was not really interested this year. But the first days of swimming coincided with 3 days of rain up here so was stuck indoors and it gave me something to watch via an Android box. Then had a couple of more days off after a Covid injection so saw much more than I thought.

So always good for a sports minded person. And remember the old saying "if you cannot participate in sport, be a sport."

A great moment! I've loved watching the Badminton on TV here for 13 yearsgreysia-poliiapriyani-rahayu-7_169.jpg.3b5039fa51143b94012230a049d9a212.jpgmedium_2021-08-04-cd5342aba1.jpg.44e523a01f46550404a91748faeee4e4.jpg  and I've seen the Thai players getting better and better - BUT this was MAGIC!greysia-poliiapriyani-rahayu-7_169.jpg.3b5039fa51143b94012230a049d9a212.jpg

Greysia Polii is now 33 years old, has been winning badminton trophies for 21 years, and has represented Indonesia (junior and senior) for 17  years.
In all the time I've watched her, I've never seen her give less than 100%.
In addition, her charm and her smile have lit up the sport. If she has to 'take it on the chin', she does without complaint or excuse - and comes back the stronger.
She  seriously considered  retiring 4 years ago, after appearing in two Olympics, then picked  a new 'raw' partner Apriyani Rahayu who is 10 years younger.
I've watched that partnership grow and seen Rahayu play better and better under Polii's care and guidance.
Unseeded in the  Olympics, they stormed through to the Final where they played the number 1 favourites from China.
They smiled all the way through the Final and won in straight sets. A tremendous match! The first unseeded pair ever to win Ladies Doubles Gold.
If competitors in all sports could play in the way these two do, the world would be a  better place. Their love of their sport is truly INSPIRING. 
I can't wait to see them interviewed. They are always so delightful and funny. True friends.
THEY ARE STARS!

And credit to the Chinese  girls.  So intense  on court,  so sporting and gracious in defeat.

• Like 2