Are you proud of the Olympic contenders of "your" country?

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Haven't been interested in the olympics since they allowed professionals to compete.

When did that happen?

Just a couple of days I explained to my gf that no professionals are allowed at the Olympics, only amateurs. Did I tell her something wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Haven't been interested in the olympics since they allowed professionals to compete. Zero interest in seeing overpaid "athletes" dominate. What amateur could hope to compete?

Haven't watched any events in last few olympics and have no idea of who is competing this time.

Correction, I saw a bit of the cycle event where they were wearing those stupid helmets and shiny suits. If it's all about technology and not about the person I consider that to be an obscenity.

I did see on the news where the female soccer people were woke and did the virtue signalling thing. Like many, I was delighted that they lost.

You missed out on the Ladies'  Road Cycling which was won by an amateur over her professional rivals.  Amateur as in holding down a day job at the same time.  But for the time being, not employed as a professional cyclist within a team.

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

You missed out on the Ladies'  Road Cycling which was won by an amateur over her professional rivals.  Amateur as in holding down a day job at the same time.  But for the time being, not employed as a professional cyclist within a team.

Day job: bicycle courier? ???? 

53a6f548-606b-4c06-a00f-497c41569876-bes

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When did that happen?

Just a couple of days I explained to my gf that no professionals are allowed at the Olympics, only amateurs. Did I tell her something wrong? 

Has been for years.  They get paid the basketball teams for example are pros that is why the USA won all players from the NBA.

I wish they would go back to only amateurs but will never happen.

Edited by bkk6060

On 8/9/2021 at 3:00 PM, champers said:

GB - yes I am proud of them. The GB Chef de Mission (big boss) said that increased Govt funding was the main factor in bringing about improvements. That funding comes from my taxes and from Lottery ticket sales, so anyone who has paid or bought either is entitled to bask in the reflected glory. It is a national effort.

Only the Lottery LOSERS contribute to the Olympics or any other charity.

• Haha 1

I'm not a sports-oriented person but I do watch the summer Olympics simply because the athletes generally represent the elite, world-class level. I don't care whether they're pros or not; why should I. I just enjoy seeing the (mostly) very best compete. My nationality is less important.

• Like 2

Enjoyed the Olympics ,some events more than others, enjoy watching sport in general, great to see athletes giving their all and enjoy following the euphoria of the athletes and coaches.

National pride is low on my list of importance, I can enjoy a competition between Sri Lanka and Fiji as much as a US v GB meeting.

Thankfully Team GB didn’t adopt the ridiculous “ It’s coming home “ mantra as they did in the footie ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:
17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Haven't been interested in the olympics since they allowed professionals to compete.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When did that happen?

'Amateurs' as in receiving sufficient sponsorship to enable them to pursue their medal goals full time. Day job not necessary.

Don't recall ever being particularly moved by the Olympics.  Don't follow sports in general. 

Haven't lived in my country of origin for 20+ years, so at this point, I feel unplugged and "apart from" that whole program.  Despite long service in the military, never was much of a flag waver either.

• Like 2

Once again, China won both gold and silver in all 157 table tennis events. Chinese-origin people representing other countries also won bronze in all 157 table tennis events. 

Once again, Kenyans from the same village won gold and silver in the men’s and women’s marathon. Kenyans from the same village representing other countries also won bronze in both, oh and Kenyan-originals also filled the first 10 positions as well.

Exciting stuff! Can’t wait for the next “worldwide” games. 

(no disrespect intended for Chinese and Kenyans, just stating the obvious)

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1