Dr Boon Vanasin, the medical tycoon in eye of Thailand’s vaccine storm

webfact

Boon-Vanasin_web.jpg

Boon Vanasin, Chairman of Thonburi Healthcare Group, talks to a journalist during an interview with Reuters at his office in Bangkok, Thailand, July 6, 2021. (Photo by REUTERS/Artorn Pookasook)

Thonburi Healthcare Group (THG) chairman Dr. Boon Vanasin looked like a saint and savior to many people when he began fearlessly pushing to procure mRNA vaccines three months ago. But those same people are now wondering if they placed their trust in the wrong guy.

On August 4, Boon suddenly declared he had given up all efforts to import the mRNA jabs because it was too difficult. His announcement came as a shock, given that just last month he had boasted confidently that he was close to signing a deal to procure 20 million doses of the highly effective vaccine.

Imaginary deal?

The 82-year-old made headlines earlier this year for suggesting that THG – the company he founded in 1976 – was poised to procure alternative mRNA vaccines for Thais who were willing to pay. Via media interviews, he convinced nearly everyone that he had leveraged his connections and was negotiating to secure a supply of mRNA vaccines from either Pfizer or Moderna.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/dr-boon-vanasin-the-medical-tycoon-in-eye-of-thailands-vaccine-storm/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-08-09
  • Sad 1

From the PBS link in the OP:

"Apart from booking Moderna shots for THG hospitals via the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO), Boon strongly implied he was in talks with BioNTech, the co-producer of the Pfizer vaccine."

Clash with GPO

"Boon is also engaged in a spat with GPO after insinuating that people may end up having to pay more for the Moderna vaccine because the agency would charge an extra 5-10 percent on top of VAT and cost price."

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

THG is a public listed and he is the chairman of the group. His words have consequences. He should have kept the information confidential while negotiation was still in progress rather than spoke about this in public. 

But there's also the possibility that he had revealed for all to see, the inner commission workings which are often masked.

• Like 2

Maybe he was in talks with a (unnamed) Thai agency authorized to import or with the potential to import. From Bloomberg (May 28, 2021):

The Chulabhorn Royal Academy granted itself the authority to procure coronavirus vaccines, medicines and medical equipment under a notice published late Wednesday in the royal gazette. The academy is named after Princess Chulabhorn, sister of King Maha Vajiralongkorn.

The announcement came as a surprise for many in the country, where private hospitals have been pushing the government for months to cut red tape and allow them to import vaccines through their own sources.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-government-and-politics-business-health-2169dd1e174aa7a53f4125cacc18261d

• Like 2

I think it all came down to money.  He would have to pay up front for the vaccines.  He has little guarantee on how they would then be used, what fees could be charged, or how else they could be appropriated.  Like many things, when things seem odd, follow the money

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I actually think that the guy tried, and it´s hard to see any other motives that wont bite him in the bum. The reason is probably because the government want  full control and makes the way he want to do very hard.

The Guy blatantly caused the share prices in THG to rocket for share manipulation purposes and insider dealing.

Do you honestly believe he was trying to obtain Vaccines for the public good ?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On August 4, Boon suddenly declared he had given up all efforts to import the mRNA jabs because it was too difficult.

So what were the "difficulties" has he the backbone to name them?

I'm expect Boon was in talks with Thai govt agencies to buy mRNA vaccines.  The conversation was probably going like this:

Boon: I want to buy millions of dozes of Moderna/Pfizer right now thru your agency.

Govt Agency:  Sorry, no-can-do right now....plus Moderna/Pfizer has a huge backlog of orders to fill.

Boon:  I want to buy millions of doses of Moderna/Pfizer right now thru your agency.

Govt Agency:  Again, sorry, no-can-do right now....huge backlog of orders....etc.

Boon:  I want to buy millions of doses of Moderna/Pfizer right now thru your agency.

Govt Agency:  Again, sorry, no-can-do right now.....are you hard of hearing?

14 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The Guy blatantly caused the share prices in THG to rocket for share manipulation purposes and insider dealing.

Where does it stand, or where do I post, that he was going to obtain vaccines for the public good? Get a grip! It clearly stand that he was going to obtain them to sell for the ones who wish to pay for a vaccine.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that this is all about a purchase of MRNA vaccines separate from the initial purchase through GPO that THG made along with other private hospitals. Does anyone know whether the earlier private hospitals group scheme still goes ahead for THG. Of course this guy has created waves, so maybe there will be some vengeance wreaked on his hospital group's share in any event

My wife and I booked and paid for those jabs - seems like a couple of months ago at least. I'm probably OK, waiting to hear from the intervac and expatvac schemes whether I have an earlier and alternative route, but my wife is not a foreigner, not over 60, not with a heath condition and living in Isaan - ie low priority in the world of government free jabs.

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Where does it stand, or where do I post, that he was going to obtain vaccines for the public good? Get a grip! It clearly stand that he was going to obtain them to sell for the ones who wish to pay for a vaccine.

Yes ! He was trying to obtain Vaccines to sell ( so he says ). The Vaccine suppliers say different.

But they were for the Public good. The fact that they had to be paid for does not differentiate them from the freebies..

The public would have been given a choice. Pay my price or go with the free vaccines.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I think the Thai SEC would like to hear your evidence that this guy was motivated by share manipulation and insider dealing. If strangely enough you have no evidence then better UFTS or a defamation law suit might be headed your way!

Edited by SantiSuk

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Yes ! He was trying to obtain Vaccines to sell ( so he says ). The Vaccine suppliers say different.

But they were for the Public good. The fact that they had to be paid for does not differentiate them from the freebies..

The public would have been given a choice. Pay my price or go with the free vaccines.

I will end it here. You are just too smart for me.

6 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

I'm hoping that this is all about a purchase of MRNA vaccines separate from the initial purchase through GPO that THG made along with other private hospitals. Does anyone know whether the earlier private hospitals group scheme still goes ahead for THG.

As I noted above the linked PBS OP article says:

Apart from booking Moderna shots for THG hospitals via the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO), Boon strongly implied he was in talks with BioNTech, the co-producer of the Pfizer vaccine.

Clash with GPO

Boon is also engaged in a spat with GPO after insinuating that people may end up having to pay more for the Moderna vaccine because the agency would charge an extra 5-10 percent on top of VAT and cost price.

Because he was told on no uncertain terms to back off 

Sure, he would have made money & why not ? Wrong pocket

Had he been allowed another 10 million people in Bangkok & surrounds would have been double vaccinated by now,, you decide if that is a good thing ?

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I actually think that the guy tried, and it´s hard to see any other motives that wont bite him in the bum. The reason is probably because the government want  full control and makes the way he want to do very hard.

In the end, it's all about profiteering and proposed image. 

Anything they offer has little to do with the well being of the people.