Toyota Vios electrical problem

wadams

You need to get it checked out at a Toyota dealer, electrical problems

could cause a fire in the car, strange how when you disconnect the

battery and car still runs, that should only happen with a diesel engine.

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Are you in CNX ? Many people from all over the country post in the wrong Forum

Not sure what you are dribbling about but posting a car related question in the motoring sub forum is not that unreasonable.

spacer.png

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

I think thats wrong Sir. an Alternator needs a supply ,in order to generate curent

Depends on the alternator I suppose, I recall I did have a live feed to an alternator once, but I never removed the battery with engine running to find out. ????.

The cars I did disconnect the battery, the engines kept running... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

My Vigo is 9 years old and never any problems EVER. I'll do you a good deal!      555

Our Vigo is seven years old and never gives problems  New battery one time but that was down to stupidity of the owners . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, itsari said:

Our Vigo is seven years old and never gives problems  New battery one time but that was down to stupidity of the owners . 

One battery in 9 years in a Vigo, wow, that must be a record.....????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

If you can get it that far, take it to a repair shop specializing in electrics , explain the problem ,and have them run a diagnostics check on it.

Nail on the head you beat me to it. 

Dam cars these days run by computers. yuck. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 6:55 AM, transam said:

Depends on the alternator I suppose, I recall I did have a live feed to an alternator once, but I never removed the battery with engine running to find out. ????.

The cars I did disconnect the battery, the engines kept running... 

ah yes I see now, my sincere apologies, in the old days the 'excitation ' current was always sent to the rotor via a dedicated cable

from the ignition switch. that circuit has changed now taking the initial 12v from the alternator output cable, which would receive it via the battery, but continue to receive after output is established , thus it is possible to disconnect the battery +, and run ok.

get out of touch in my old years 55

17 hours ago, lodstewart said:

ah yes I see now, my sincere apologies, in the old days the 'excitation ' current was always sent to the rotor via a dedicated cable

from the ignition switch. that circuit has changed now taking the initial 12v from the alternator output cable, which would receive it via the battery, but continue to receive after output is established , thus it is possible to disconnect the battery +, and run ok.

get out of touch in my old years 55

Hmmm, I am old enough to be your father.....????

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 11:54 AM, wadams said:

While it was running I disconnected one of the battery cables and the motor continued to run.

But not driving it? Obviously it is vibration/bump in the road issue. As has been said unplug all the relays and reinsert them. 

If it still happens you are off to the auto electric place.

Location is important if you want a recommendation for a business/workshop.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 11:54 AM, wadams said:

Any ideas what could be the problem.

As Crossy advised, check the main relay and related cables.
Ignition supply from fuse box then from ignition to the main relay and its socket and wires. 
And check the relay contacts for constant conductivity. 
good luck 

Edited by The Theory

HAd a motorbike, when it was cold, simply just start no problem.

DRiving , motor gets warm, battery gets warm. Stopped, shut it of to do other things of bike.

COme back shortly and try to start, no way Jose. Cooling down again and it started again.

Changed battery. Think by heat then it loses its power, shortcut in battery.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, transam said:

Once a petrol car has started, the alternator takes over, there are some rides that may stop on battery removal, but I have never had one...

I once had a "strange" problem,dead battery not cranking over so  changed the battery  and it ran fine for a couple days (short drives) then stopped just pulling away from parked..battery dead again

turned out the alternator was bad so the battery was doing it all.

I also had an ignition coil  that would fail when it got hot..and seem to be ok again when it cooled down.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

I once had a "strange" problem,dead battery not cranking over so  changed the battery  and it ran fine for a couple days (short drives) then stopped just pulling away from parked..battery dead again

I also had an ignition coil  that would fail when it got hot..and seem to be ok again when it cooled down.

Plug in an obd  £20 from amazon diagnos the fault. Easy,plug into fuse box and run the vehicle

19 minutes ago, johng said:

I have had an alternator do a 'drain' a couple of times, just something amiss in its gubbins...The only thing that went wrong on my auto trans Vigo was the alternator, a rather splendid workshop in town brought a big fully charged battery, put that on and drove it to their workshop.

Took the alternator off, took it all apart and replaced everything, even fitted a smaller pulley on it to speed it up at low RPM, then brought it back, think they charged  me 3,500 bht. 

Mrs.Trans followed MY truck on her bike to the workshop and took photos of the sequence of events.....????

• Like 1