Pattaya or Jomtien Beach?

Texsinbad

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Pattaya or Jomtien as at Feb 2019 (pre Sars-cov-2) was vastly different to 2008.  Think of your nice shiny brand new 2008 model car compared to eleven years later.  It's still a car, but rather dated, worn out, lots of miles on the clock, and somewhat lacking in desirability - but it's yours and you love it.

Well that was Pattaya/Jomtien in 2019 - mere shadows of themselves compared to 2008.  Still great places to live and have a life, but the halcyon days of 2008 disappeared gradually each year and were long gone by 2019.

Now think of your somewhat dilapidated (but much loved) 2008 model car as being stolen from you in March 2019.  The thieves thrashed it, trashed it, rolled it, excreted in the glovebox, put sugar in the gas tank, dented every panel, drove it through a canal, and threw it off the top of Central Festival on to Beach Road.

That's where Pattaya/Jomtien are right now.  The car survived the fall (broken and bent, but still breathing) and all that remains is to see if she can be re-started and resurrected sometime in early 2022 or thereabouts.  Pundits are about equally divided on whether she can be restarted and restored to her comparatively reasonable 2019 condition over time, or whether she is so far beyond repair that she will be consigned to the crusher, and we're all on Shanks' Pony.

I'd choose Jomtien to live if you come.  When things come back to (some sort of) life I suspect Jomtien will look a little more occupied than Pattaya.  I swear that driving down 2nd Road in Patts last week, I saw a tumbleweed roll out of Soi13/2.

The Tumbleweed was just a lost Farang looking to make a date......????????????

• Haha 2

I live in north Pattaya, which I think is the best place.  Decent beach, restaurants on the beach and some really nice places with great views  It is also quiet, yet much closer to Central Pattaya.  Jomtien is not terrible but too far I think and it lacks too many services   And those early numbered Soi's along the beach are eye sores dirty rat infested dumps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Along Pattaya beach you will be putting up with this for 2-3 years. Not only the heavy equipment but all the cigarette smoking workers staring at you and your Thai? girlfriend as you walk by. When I arrived at the North end I immediately went on to Jomtien. Although they have plans to up sand the beach in Jomtiem, At the rate they are working ( I checked South end)  going to be years getting  North. And by the way: the scene along jomtien beach rd is pretty normal. Unlike  the  horror show along Pattaya beach. Photos today And if your bringing a girlfriend- Jomtien for sure

IMG_20210816_110844.jpg

IMG_20210816_113953.jpg

Edited by morrobay
  • Thanks 1

As you aren't into bar girls, you have a lot of choice and can retire in a place that is actually nice. Then again you like Walking Street and nobody knows if it will be back or in which form.

As with many things right now, it might be best to wait and see.

Personally, I like (the old) Pattaya and find Jomtien boring, but YMMV.

• Like 1

Jomtien. Beach condos are less expensive, the beach road has less traffic the further south you go, and it's close enough to all the good shopping/supermarkets in Pattaya (or, will be when they can reopen).

Edited by HappyExpat57
  • Like 1

Couple of months ago I did an 8 week "Tour" around Jomtien, Pratumnak & Naklua with a view to deciding where I wanted to move to from Bangkok. 

I've tried several times to like Jomtien & have tried eveywhere from Soi1 to the end of the Baht Bus route (My favourites places were probably VT7 or Aqua) but I just can't seem to get a vibe for the place, I also spent a week in Pratumnak which I loved but the GF (Who does love Jomtien) didn't like it or Cosy Beach so we settled on Wongamat (stayed there many times in the past & have always been happy there). 

No good if you want Bars, Restaurants etc... & the beach isn't great but to me it's a nice quiet place to live but still only 10 minutes away from the madness of Pattaya when you need it ????

Edit: @ray richards makes an excellent point, it does depend on your age, I'm in his middle Band (55) and Jomtien is just ok for me, but I could see myself in 10 years time appreaciating it more. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

Pattaya beach is in the middle of the tourist sector. If you compare with Las vegas (where I have house), it is the strip. Jomtien beach is quite, less crowded with most amenities available. With the opening of the Utapao airport it's closer to the airport than north pattaya. Condo life is idle for a couple in the retirement life. No maintenance headache etc. There are few bars in Jomtien. I cannot see why one will want to live in old Pattaya. You can rent a two bedroom beach view condo for 20K now (may be 30K if tourists come back) and can go anywhere in Pattaya within 30 min in car. Pattay will remain the sin city of Thailand for foreseeable future. Cheap sex will be available for the asking. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

1 minute ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Pattaya beach is in the middle of the tourist sector. If you compare with Las vegas (where I have house), it is the strip. Jomtien beach is quite, less crowded with most amenities. With the opening of the Utapao airport it's closer to the airport than north pattaya. Condo life is idle for a couple in the retirement life. No maintenance headache etc. There are few bars in Jomtien. I cannot see why one will want to live in old Pattaya. You can rent a two bedroom beach view condo for 20K now (may be 30K if tourists come back) and can go anywhere in Pattaya within 30 min in car. 

Did you ever stay here? There are many bars in Jomtien too and it is liked by gays (didn't write guys). To go to the big red light district Pattaya City can take quite a while because there is a lot of traffic jam especially in the evening. There is no old Pattaya. It was always the same and the mayor is dreaming of "Neo Pattaya". Don't disturb him... 

19 hours ago, internationalism said:

jomtien is less crowded, less polluted (air, beach), safer (drugs associated with prostitution) and cheaper.

You can get condo next to the beach, many high rise buildings already done and many in construction

On our last few visits its seems Jomtien seemed livelier than Pattaya.  It just seemed a happier vibe than Pattaya had. Lots of people walking along the esplanade.

With everything closing up android many businesses boarded up it seems desolate.  LK, Tree Town, and Soi Bhukow looked lively enough.

Without the people, and the hordes of nasty Chinese, the beaches look beautiful at both Jomtien and Pattaya.

Of course Walking Street is on its last breath.

Cheap deals to be had for sure!

Maybe check out Naklua.  Some really nice condos.  Short motorcycle ride to both neighboring cities.

Good luck!

25 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

On our last few visits its seems Jomtien seemed livelier than Pattaya.  It just seemed a happier vibe than Pattaya had. Lots of people walking along the esplanade.

With everything closing up android many businesses boarded up it seems desolate.  LK, Tree Town, and Soi Bhukow looked lively enough.

Without the people, and the hordes of nasty Chinese, the beaches look beautiful at both Jomtien and Pattaya.

Of course Walking Street is on its last breath.

Cheap deals to be had for sure!

Maybe check out Naklua.  Some really nice condos.  Short motorcycle ride to both neighboring cities.

Good luck!

Soi Buakhao, LK Metro, Tree Town, Made in Thailand,... are (normally) very busy. Just don't forget that you might need some sleep too. The noise in Central Pattaya can be/is extreme. If you don't like this then stay away. 

• Like 2

Many thanks for all of the comments/suggestions.

Of course, I will have to wait until things reopen, but at 64, I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.  Recently divorced so couldn't come sooner.

More about my likes/wants.  I prefer American type food, and would like to be closer to those types of restaurants.  I like malls to do some shopping.

And, I absolutely love beaches, and if they got pretty women in bikinis, so much the better.

I will probably rent a scooter, but it is nice to have good restaurants, shopping, and beach within walking distance.

Thanks again.

24 minutes ago, Texsinbad said:

More about my likes/wants. 

I prefer American type food, and would like to be closer to those types of restaurants. 

I like malls to do some shopping.

And, I absolutely love beaches, and if they got pretty women in bikinis, so much the better.

For malls and pretty women in bikini (and not only on the beach) your best option is Pattaya. 

You can find American food restaurants in Jomtien, but also more options in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Here's what I tell my friends when they ask me where they should visit in Thailand, go to Pattaya for the go-go bars, bargirls and nightlife not the beaches, go to South Thailand for beautiful beaches, not the gogo bars, bargirls or nightlife.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Did you ever stay here? There are many bars in Jomtien too and it is liked by gays (didn't write guys). To go to the big red light district Pattaya City can take quite a while because there is a lot of traffic jam especially in the evening. There is no old Pattaya. It was always the same and the mayor is dreaming of "Neo Pattaya". Don't disturb him... 

I have never stayed continuously but I have a condo in Jomtien and one in Bangkok. Back and forth many time when I am in Thailand (usually a six months in a year pre covid). Never taken me more than 30-min in a car around 10PM. 

no difference..no one there ..if you want to move to a ghost town of boarded up shops bars ect ect ect if you want to see people sleeping in doorways abandoned buildings who have Nothing ..food handouts daily to stop them from starving and this is only a little could go on but think you get the picture not a place to be now or the near future ..think of somewhere else mate ..good luck take care