Thailand road carnage: Driver escapes death pictured hugging dead friend in wreckage of pick-up

webfact

A post in which the context of quoted content had been altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

Some inflammatory posts and replies were removed. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

When my Mrs drives she puts the phone down on the centre console, you can see her eyes go that way when it pings... I usually turn it face down. The slow moving vehicle is the common scenario for me, when I see a driver on the phone. Getting direction, calling ahead, whatever. I see the screen glow as I pass. 

the number of drivers I pass on the roads here with their faces stuck in their phones is quite shocking, the dead giveaway is they are not paying attention to what tey are doing and it is obvious 

As a pedestrian I personally witnessed 2 accidents as I was crossing a road - red light traffic backed up and on both occasions a pickup sailed passed me very obviously not slowing down - they had their mobile phone in their hand passing right in front of me - looked up at the last minute with about 2 car lengths to go and rammed ito the stationary vehicle are the back of the line - both rode up on the back of the waiting vehicle and then overturned into the storm drain in the center a little further down from where I was standing 

I have ridden on Thial roads going on 17 years and covered over 100,000km, IMO opinion based on my observations there are 3 main causes of accidents - speeding and irratic lane changing, mobile phone use and drunk driving and/or a mixture of all three, road planning and marking is poor (u-turns) and ultimately effective proactive police enforcement is none existent 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, transam said:

I will ask you once again, why is Thailand no. 1 or 2 for road fatalities in the world.....?

You think the drivers here are the same as the world over, they are not, and do you know what, I have been driving and observing Thai road attitude for 15 years, that is through the eyes of a professional driver in my own country.

Because they have more bad drivers than other countries. However, still not the majority of drivers. Tried to explain that a lot of times.

Other factors are bad maintenance of roads, misleading signs and lack of sight in many places.

Maybe you will ask the same question again. For deaf ears.

• Haha 1

Just now, Gottfrid said:

Because they have more bad drivers than other countries. However, still not the majority of drivers. Tried to explain that a lot of times.

Other factors are bad maintenance of roads, misleading signs and lack of sight in many places.

Maybe you will ask the same question again. For deaf ears.

So it's not folk here not reading the road ahead or messing about with a phone, it's the road signs, the roads they are not reading, and they need glasses....????

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks but I didn't ask for driving tips from you.    I did ask you how you were able to conclude that the truck driver was less than 20% at fault but you edited that from my comment and, as anticipated, you were unable to back up your "investigative conclusion".

Give a monkeys what you are asking for , I never said less than 20 percent , i said 20 percent . My conclusion is that if the truck driver had been more diligent before turning he could of prevented the accident . The driver of the truck is the main offender . Speed and lack of driving skill was the major cause of the accident .

12 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Whatever you think about the driver, it is a terribly terribly sad picture.

Yes it is... but it also makes me think how remorse comes too late... one suspects a little time earlier it was laughs and bravado as he drove too fast, and with little attention, showing off for the girls. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, itsari said:
On 8/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks but I didn't ask for driving tips from you.    I did ask you how you were able to conclude that the truck driver was less than 20% at fault but you edited that from my comment and, as anticipated, you were unable to back up your "investigative conclusion".

Give a monkeys what you are asking for , I never said less than 20 percent , i said 20 percent .

You said that the pickup driver was "at least 80%" responsible", that suggests probably more than 80% which means the truck driver could only be less than 20% to blame.  it's maths, you know!

On 8/16/2021 at 4:24 PM, itsari said:

I doubt that he will even realise the accident is at least 80 percent his fault . Therefore i doubt if there will be any change to his driving .

There you are referring to the pickup driver after killing his three friends being 80% responsible.

On 8/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

That's the result of your in absentia investigation, is it?    How were you able to conclude that the truck driver was less than 20% at fault?   

That's the truck driver having 20% blame according to you.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

20% to the truck driver according to you.

21 hours ago, itsari said:

I never said less than 20 percent , i said 20 percent . My conclusion is that if the truck driver had been more diligent before turning he could of prevented the accident . The driver of the truck is the main offender . Speed and lack of driving skill was the major cause of the accident .

"The driver of the truck is the main offender"!

Now you're saying that the truck driver is the main (80%) offender, after letting him off with 20% blame in previous comments!   Make up your mind!

22 hours ago, Leaver said:
On 8/17/2021 at 5:25 AM, Ralf001 said:

How do you know there was deceleration prior to collision ?

Because the driver is still alive.  

But the other 75% of the occupants died and they also had the benefit of the deceleration you claimed, how does that correlate?

You don't think that the airbag, seat belt and his bracing for the collision he could probably see was coming in the last second or two possibly had anything to do with his survival?

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...showing off for the girls".

What?   What do you base that nothing-but-bizarre, speculative theory on?

And I expect anything to the contrary is also speculative. Do you deny he was driving far too fast? Do you deny he was driving without due attention? Why might that be?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...showing off for the girls".

What?   What do you base that nothing-but-bizarre, speculative theory on?

And I expect anything to the contrary is also speculative. Do you deny he was driving far too fast? Do you deny he was driving without due attention? Why might that be?

No, I did not say any of that but you did say, bizarrely speculatively that he was probably "showing off for the girls!     My not saying that he was showing off is not speculative in any way.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:48 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

But the other 75% of the occupants died and they also had the benefit of the deceleration you claimed, how does that correlate?

You don't think that the airbag, seat belt and his bracing for the collision he could probably see was coming in the last second or two possibly had anything to do with his survival?

He had time to turn the passenger side of the vehicle into danger.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:31 AM, impulse said:

That's death per population.  Look at deaths per registered vehicle or deaths per km driven and there are countries with 50-100 X as many as Thailand. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

And scooters are 20-40x as dangerous as a car and 75% of vehicles in Thailand have 2 wheels.  If 75% of Brits or Americans were consigned by economics to scooters, their death rates would be astronomical, too.

And if my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle.

We don't need scooters in the West because the government has invested in mass transport systems such as buses and trains. They are still using 40 year old buses in Bangkok. Lovely malls though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...