ChulaCov19 Vaccine as Effective as Pfizer’s

snoop1130

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

Will the Chupa Chups vaccine be peer reviewed, surely the US connection will want something like that to happen?

I wondering if it comes in different flavours and can be taken orally ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Actually, the Phase I results will usually have sufficient information to indicate whether the vaccine will cause enough of an immune response to indicate there is a good chance that it will make it through the 3 phases.  The primary difference in the 3 phases are a staged increase in healthy individuals testing the vaccine (Phase I - maybe up to 100 volunteers; Phase II - maybe several hundred; Phase III - maybe a few thousand.  Each of them you are getting a more diverse and larger sample set to work on.  The same sort of news release was given after Phase I of the COVID vaccines in the United States.   As the sample set increases things may change, but even with 100 you should have a good indication of about where the efficacy will end up (with a larger margin of error).  Later phases are more about figuring out the dose size and getting a better indication of side effects etc.

CureVac COVID vaccine let-down spotlights mRNA design challenges

Two vaccines made using messenger RNA (mRNA) have proved spectacularly successful at warding off COVID-19, but a third mRNA-based candidate has flopped in a final-stage trial, according to an initial report released this week. Researchers are now asking why — and some think that choices about the type of mRNA chemistry used might be to blame. Any insight could help to guide the future design of mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 or other diseases.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01661-0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Actually, the Phase I results will usually have sufficient information to indicate whether the vaccine will cause enough of an immune response to indicate there is a good chance that it will make it through the 3 phases.  The primary difference in the 3 phases are a staged increase in healthy individuals testing the vaccine (Phase I - maybe up to 100 volunteers; Phase II - maybe several hundred; Phase III - maybe a few thousand.  Each of them you are getting a more diverse and larger sample set to work on.  The same sort of news release was given after Phase I of the COVID vaccines in the United States.   As the sample set increases things may change, but even with 100 you should have a good indication of about where the efficacy will end up (with a larger margin of error).  Later phases are more about figuring out the dose size and getting a better indication of side effects etc.

CureVac COVID vaccine let-down spotlights mRNA design challenges

Two vaccines made using messenger RNA (mRNA) have proved spectacularly successful at warding off COVID-19, but a third mRNA-based candidate has flopped in a final-stage trial, according to an initial report released this week. Researchers are now asking why — and some think that choices about the type of mRNA chemistry used might be to blame. Any insight could help to guide the future design of mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 or other diseases.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01661-0

After I posted this I decided to actually read the whole article. It turns out that the Curevac vaccine generated low amounts of antibodies in those who were inoculated. Unlike the Chula vaccine. So that's a positive sign.

• Like 1

reading that article Thailand is claiming to have developed an mRNA vaccine that is performing better than any other vaccine in the world right now, at least that is how it is written 

what am I missing - probably a lot 

was waiting for the - "but" it requires  a full litre dose per jab 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

reading that article Thailand is claiming to have developed an mRNA vaccine that is performing better than any other vaccine in the world right now, at least that is how it is written 

what am I missing - probably a lot 

was waiting for the - "but" it requires  a full litre dose per jab 

Another compulsive Thai-basher.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

A good promising start! I am left wondering why a comparison to Pfizer alone? Is Moderna's product somehow so inferior as to being a comparative?

The technology involved in mRNA vaccine development is not actually so new in medical research with  many documented papers describing the science of it. Independently achieving a result using a published technological process is not copying or stealing. And under the circumstances of the pandemic situation where such vaccines are being heralded as global salvation who cares when the pandemic is costing the well being of whole nations and the societies in them?

Good point.

In a pure structured research scenario there would be many required diverse broad protocols/comparisons.

Seems to me that's not what we have in this case.

In fact I'm guessing that because Pfizer is the current 'flavor of the month/the most popular' (to the Thai 'professionals', including the most vocal who are politicians who know nothing about the real subject at hand, rather then a respected team of aligned qualified experienced respected medical researchers) Pfizer is therefore the only comparison.

Sad, when millions of Thais struggle* to get even a first jab.

(*many of my Thai relatives have registered online, registered by hand at various venues and institutes, called numerous published phone numbers and more, all with no result. Or get registered and even get bookings which eventually 'evaporate'. They remain lost and confused while they read/see on TV stories about hi-so folks, politicians aunts & uncles etc., getting jabs.

My own Thai son and his Thai wife went to a medical institute which was advertising dates and times for jabs, they registered together and took smartphone photos of the documents they completed and handed in.

Two weeks later my son got an SMS with date/time 5 days later. He attended and got his first shot. He asked about his wife, and showed his smartphone photos of her submission, the admin. folks claimed his wife had never registered and refused to discuss further. She's still registering frequently, getting nowhere.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Will the Chupa Chups vaccine be peer reviewed, surely the US connection will want something like that to happen?

Does this mean Expatvac  will be using Chupa Chups vax and they are calling for TV expat volunteer's who are over 60 and possibly pregnant .... 

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

I hate all this newfangled so-called science stuff too. When I was a boy my mom knitted. me vaccines

You are skeptical because you don't understand the science of it. But do you understand the science of any other vaccine or medicine you use? They developed fast because so many of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies started working on vaccines and threw all they had into it. Many failed. Many have never made it to clinical trials and you never heard of those efforts. 

The first people who were involved in the initial clinical trials got their shots more than a year ago. Still no long term effects are showing. And before you say one year is not a long term mind you after a few weeks the vaccines are no longer in our bodies. They have prepped our bodies to fight COIVD-19. No vaccine on the market has had long-term effects where people have adverse effects years and years later. Many vaccines including the COVID-19 ones have had adverse effects in rare cases but they happened shortly after inoculation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

If it's better than the the Sino rubbish and the other Sino cr*p than go for it, but i'm skeptical as to how a vax was developed so quickly as vaccines takes many months if not years to prefect in human trials and here Presto, out of a blue, Thailand has it's own vax.. Amazing...

It will be Pfizer with something else