Thai towns

Sparktrader

35 minutes ago, markwhite said:

If you need nightlife, a large social circle of like-minded people, or a variety of provided entertainment,

Drive South to Songkla and join up with Songkla Hash House Harriers, every Saturday

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

We have a few places, the main one being Nonthaburi, great for getting into town and all the facilities, very welcoming and efficient immigration. Downside is very few farang here that I see never mind converse with.

So I prefer our house down in Cha Am, great beaches / mountains up in Kaeng Krachan / air / better value for money / plenty of ex-pats / quieter and less busy.

8985A003-1777-4DB5-9C1F-98A0FD2E34A9_1_105_c.jpeg.dae4adfcfcca2f8a9e21ae62b8b4ab62.jpeg

Downside is our house has no garden, immigration is full on twits and we can’t earn a living down there.

Wife is from Krabi, has land there and when I first came out here I quite liked the feel and ambience of that place.

Edited by DaLa
unnecessary word
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaLa said:

We have a few places, the main one being Nonthaburi, great for getting into town and all the facilities, very welcoming and efficient immigration. Downside is very few farang here that I see never mind converse with.

So I prefer our house down in Cha Am, great beaches / mountains up in Kaeng Krachan / air / better value for money / plenty of ex-pats / quieter and less busy.

8985A003-1777-4DB5-9C1F-98A0FD2E34A9_1_105_c.jpeg.dae4adfcfcca2f8a9e21ae62b8b4ab62.jpeg

Downside is our house has no garden, immigration is full on twits and we can’t earn a living down there.

Wife is from Krabi, has land down there and when I first came out here I liked the feel and ambience of that place.

Krabi better than Cha am. Xha am has little charm

• Like 1

Down in the jungle

Living in a tent

Better than a condo

No rent

Edge of village of 6000 souls in lower Petchabun.

Pros. Very quiet no noisy neighbors dogs or cocks. Fields and ridge view out back, thick tamarind trees out front. 3 kilometers from Big C , 6 kilometers from nice little town. 1 hour from Petchabun city center. Friendly natives. 500 meters from main road with a few decent mum and pop shops.

3 hrs from Bangkok.

Cons. Fewer medical facilities than Bangkok. When I want to see a doctor or dentist we go to private hospitals in Bangkok rather than use the big local one which is ok if you dont mind long queues.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 5:48 PM, BritManToo said:

10Km from the centre Chiang Mai, all the facilities of a big city.

With the mountain views and jungle of a rural environment.

The only con being dense smog for 2 months of the year.

2013-10-25 07.05.41.jpg

If i move out of my apartment 2km from city center, i plan to live near @BritManToo. I don't know exactly where you live, but I think i recognize this view from cycling on farm roads.

• Like 1

My partner and I live in Pattaya and have a getaway condo in Bangkok.  We like living in a beach city and Pattaya is the ideal size for us--big enough to have good malls, good restaurants, good health care, good recreation, good big box stores like Index, Chic Republic, Home Pro, Baan and Beyond, Boonthavorn, etc., but not too large a city.  A big plus for us is the expat community living in greater Pattaya--we have nice friends we have met scattered all over the area.  Being less than 2 hours from Bangkok is another plus. 

There is a wide variety of housing to choose from--everything from nice condo projects on the beach to a big selection of housing estates at all price points all around the city.  We like that there are distinct neighborhoods to choose from--Wongamat in the north has a different vibe than Jomtien in the south.  And, the Darkside offers a whole other choice of lifestyle with Pattaya just a few minutes away.  

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 6:48 AM, BritManToo said:

10Km from the centre Chiang Mai, all the facilities of a big city.

With the mountain views and jungle of a rural environment.

The only con being dense smog for 2 months of the year.

2013-10-25 07.05.41.jpg

Looks like you might not be too far from me, judging from the view

I was planning to retire in 2011, so I made two monthlong visits to Thailand both in 2009 and 2010. I traveled around the country looking for where to settle. I am inclined toward the mountains more than the beach. I had contemplated continuing to teach a bit also after 41 years as an educator. After touring around, Chiang Mai just felt that it fit my desires. I could find anything I wanted in the way of food, supplies, etc. but not the metropolitan Bangkok. Then, there were five universities where I might continue working with students. After a decade, I am still well pleased to be here with the noted exception of the annual health threatening air pollution. Easy enough to get around the city and have access to trips in N. Thai mountains, or to Laos. Having the airport connections also should be considered. Oh, and pre-Covid an active Chiang Mai Expat community.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 2

My area was formed by the spooge that slowly flowed out of Bangkok as it expanded. Now, it's just a crowded overpopulated mess like all the other sprawl near Bangkok. Stay away from Rangsit and Prathumthani for your health and mind. At one time there probably was a wall between Bangkok and the neighboring provinces and they would toss their rubbish and buckets of human waste over that wall. Stay safe, live away from the overcrowded, congested, messed up areas. I even suggest staying away from Thailand too but most people like to dream and gamble.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 7:02 PM, toofarnorth said:

YES.......well no really . I live somewhere smaller and quieter . No far from there though.

Same same here, did live actually in the city but found it crowded, lacked public spaces in the city to sit and enjoy, heavy traffic on substandard streets, most neighborhood rife with chichens, rooster, crowing all hours,. Northern thai people generally not friendly , sort of stuck up I found.  Little english spoken outside of the farang bar area and even there it is not very fluently spoken.  The thai food not all that great, some good northern thai dishes and a few good western aiming restaurants, but covid has closed many.   Moved to the country 25 km from city center.  Not much of an improvement in most areas as little if any english spoken as Issan and Lao prominate here.

I look back on it all with quite a bit of regret now, only stay for my 13yr old daughter and she wants to go to America to live, she thinks!!!

16 hours ago, markwhite said:

It's a kind invitation, thank you, and it is nice to be asked. But I won't pretend I'm likely to follow it up.

I've never been there. It was a suggestion, rather than an invitation, for someone wishing to occasionally meet up with some mates.

29 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

Same same here, did live actually in the city but found it crowded, lacked public spaces in the city to sit and enjoy, heavy traffic on substandard streets, most neighborhood rife with chichens, rooster, crowing all hours,. Northern thai people generally not friendly , sort of stuck up I found.  Little english spoken outside of the farang bar area and even there it is not very fluently spoken.  The thai food not all that great, some good northern thai dishes and a few good western aiming restaurants, but covid has closed many.   Moved to the country 25 km from city center.  Not much of an improvement in most areas as little if any english spoken as Issan and Lao prominate here.

I look back on it all with quite a bit of regret now, only stay for my 13yr old daughter and she wants to go to America to live, she thinks!!!

I have lived in the North for more than 30 years and I find the people quite friendly.  I have no problem finding great Thai food either.  If you have a 13yr old daughter, you must have lived here for a long time.  Why haven't you made an effort to learn to speak Thai?  Perhaps then you would not feel so isolated and filled with regret.  I am very happy here.  I have not been to my home country, the US, since my mother passed away 15 years ago, and I seriously doubt that I will ever go back again.  Happily, I have made a nice life here and have no regrets.  I began learning Thai the day I arrived and have many Thai friends.  I don't find the need to speak English very often.  I try to avoid the Farang bar scene which seems to be filled with complaining, unhappy, old men.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rughead said:

khuan niang

40 km from hat yai 

100 % with stocky comments 

except never worried about muslim extremists 

Doesn't worry me either, I just knew that if I didn't mention the southern separatists somebody would pipe up with 'but what about the bombs'. 

14 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I have lived in the North for more than 30 years and I find the people quite friendly.  I have no problem finding great Thai food either.  If you have a 13yr old daughter, you must have lived here for a long time.  Why haven't you made an effort to learn to speak Thai?  Perhaps then you would not feel so isolated and filled with regret.  I am very happy here.  I have not been to my home country, the US, since my mother passed away 15 years ago, and I seriously doubt that I will ever go back again.  Happily, I have made a nice life here and have no regrets.  I began learning Thai the day I arrived and have many Thai friends.  I don't find the need to speak English very often.  I try to avoid the Farang bar scene which seems to be filled with complaining, unhappy, old men.

I agree with the unhappy whinging old men bit.

• Like 1