Rising prices ? what have you observed ?

CharlieH

Havent noticed much but i use a lot of food deliveries like leanlicious (but that went up 10 bt per box 75 to 85). But other then imports i havent seen much higher prices. 

But i think its harder for imports now higher Eu/$ and transport is more expensive.

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The most startling recently was sweet potatoes ! @238 Baht !! Thats outrageous and almost 3 times more than pork loin !

Agreed they are imported but absurd in my opinion.

They're grown in Thailand. Unless there's a particular strain that can not for some reason.

Do you have any spare land to try and grown your own even as maybe a hobby?

• Like 1

I can't say really seems much the same up here North,  I only pay the bills and electric is cheaper of late and govt water.

I'm a big potato, veg and fruit eater the Mrs buys from our village market. 

I only hear talk about lemons and tomato prices which I thought go up and down in price anyhow. 

The stuff I buy on-line for myself  is cheaper than Big'C' even with delivery charge. 

Petrol & deisel have got up recently, beer and drinking water has been the same price for many years now.

For my needs never found a use for Makro.

• Like 2

Just now, Henryford said:

Baked beans used to be about 40 baht a tin, now 50.

Got a tin from Lotus yesterday for 38 B but if you are in Makro speshly the one near the northern border don't get Fiamma ones in the yellow tin. Opened a tin 2 days ago and the top third is water and juice , beans were lower down in the tin.

• Thanks 1

In Chumphon (in the south) prices have gone up for sure, a tray of eggs at makro 117 baht compared to 90 baht two months ago. I feel for the Thai people who are on a low wage or have no work now, the cost of food and petrol (E20 is 28.82 Lt) has gone up, how can the average person live?

I know us expats moan a bit about the cost going up yet we can afford to still shop and maybe with the baht dropping and we get more for our overseas money it off sets the increase?

• Like 1

Apart from eggs which vary weekly from 95 to 120 baht for a tray, not much else has changed price wise.

But what has changed in the village is the number of locals setting up a small mom and pop shop. In the last 2 months at least 5 residents, returned from a job in other provinces have built a shop in front of there home. Some have spent a fair bit with a proper build as opposed to a bamboo affair and so presumably are here for the long term.

The village had about 10 local shops, with only one large enough to be callled a shop, so now have about 15, in true copy-cat Thai style.

Good news is the closest one selling beer and Beng Bengs is now a 100 metre stroll from my home!

• Like 1

My weekly shop in Big C is up around 20% , mainly for imported foods, which I buy a lot, cheese, grass fed beef etc, in the last 9 months, however, that is offset by the improvement in the exchange rate from Pound to Baht, so I recon I am about even.   

• Like 1

I noticed on the last visit to MK that the quality of the meat had gone down and got smaller but the price had gone up so they are off the list now. The difficulty here is that although merchants want to put the prices up there are a lot people, not us expats, who are struggling and have little or no money to spend unless you work for the authorities in some way so I think apart from seasonal price changes prices will be kept down, if someone wants to charge more than I think id fair to pay then I walk away.

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I am starting to notice a rise in prices. Dont know if this is a temparay blip due to Covid disruption in supply chains or the way its going to be.

The most startling recently was sweet potatoes ! @238 Baht !! Thats outrageous and almost 3 times more than pork loin !

Yeah, potatoes have gone up, my local market stall used to sell baking potatoes for 40bht/Kg ........ now they're 48bht/Kg. Grown locally in Chiang Mai, guy down the road runs a potato factory, sometimes he gives me a free sack.

Still, 2Kg packs of frozen chips still on sale in Makro for 99bht, so not the end of the world.

They've been that price for the past 10 years.

Soy cooking oil has gone up from 40bht to 50bht a bottle.

Gas cylinders are cheaper, 2kbht for a full 15Kg cylinder, used to be 2,500bht.

(I've got a spare just in case TEOTWAWKI happens.) 

Chocolate waaaaay cheaper, started buying Tulip dark cooking chocolate, 150bht/Kg.

The kid loves it, although the slab is so thick it's hard to break off small enough chunks to get in my mouth.

Pepsi in BigC, large price drop on the 2l bottles down from 40bht to 32bht.

They were 40bht for years.

• Like 2

Not noticing prices rising.  The opposite in fact as most things I buy from Gourmet Market, Big C and Tesco seem to be on sale these days including imported food such as Mainland Cheese, King Oscar sardines.  Even getting bigger (and more frequent) discounts from Happyfresh.  Seems things are still arriving from overseas as the Best Before dates are later and later.

When I peruse foodpanda (look but don’t buy because I’m trying to stick to my keto diet), there are so many 2 for 1 deals from major fast food chains that it makes my head spin.  Many restaurants also offer an extra 50-100 baht off discount code on top of the already discounted prices (minimum purchase necessary).

Rents being asked on Hipflat are falling further but asking purchase prices for condos seem to be sticky and not falling (not sure what they are selling for if they are in fact selling)

Maybe it’s different out in the rural areas, but Bangkok, for most things, is definitely in a deflationary price mode.

• Like 2