Thai govt defends mix & match vaccine policy

webfact

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I turned the offer of Sinovac and then AstraZeneca 3 weeks later.  The reasons are as this:

1. As a rule Pharmacists and Doctors have always told me never “mix and match” medications.  This includes the same medicines that come from different manufacturers.  If mixing and matching is so great then why don’t I mix and match Flu vaccines every year or mix and match different antibiotics?

2. Based upon what Israel has done and what the US government has just recommended, Covid 19 Boosters will be implemented in the near future. So if I got one does of Sinovac and 1 dose of AZ then what vaccine will be my booster?  

if you live that long

• Haha 2

Hopefully that means they will now accept mixed vaccinations for tourists as well.

Here in Denmark approx 150,000 people are cross vaccinated with AZ/mRNA type, so that's quite a lot of people that can't travel to Thailand even if they wanted to,

unless they do quarantine.

Cross my fingers they accept a combo with mRNA as second shot soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

its not Bars that give you Covid you could be in 7/11 or makro and catch it as far as i can recall even the WHO world health organisation frowned upon mix and match as there were insufficent tests carried out im lucky ive had my 1st AZ however if they offer me a alternative for my 2nd jab i will say no thanks like you i am well retired but have plans for a longer life 

If you are talking about the news last month where WHO warned about mixed vaccinations, headlines were taken out of context

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-vaccine-mixing-and-matching-who-1.6101047

CLARIFICATION: The WHO has clarified that public health agencies, not individuals, should make decisions on mixing and matching COVID vaccines, based on available data. We are deleting other tweets that lack context https://reut.rs/3hEaxAa

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Have any of the vaccine manufacturers at anytime advised it's okay to mix the vaccines?

Not yet as far as I know, but then they're probably not well placed to do so, as they generally wouldn't have unfettered access to use their rival's products in trials.

There have been a number of studies done by independent scientists into using a heterologous prime-boost regimen (mixing and matching vaccines) which were  published recently.

As the Nature magazine article below states:

... multiple studies now back up the idea that mixing the Oxford–AstraZeneca jab and the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine triggers an immune response similar to — or even stronger than — two doses of either vaccine.

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines

In the UK they're also doing a study which involves looking at the results from 8 different combinations of vaccines but I don't believe they've published the results yet.

However, as that Nature Magazine article says:

The results are also giving researchers confidence that combining other COVID-19 vaccines, that haven’t yet been tested together, might also work.

Obviously, having the full clinical trial results that could confirm (or rebut) that confidence, would be preferable.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I turned the offer of Sinovac and then AstraZeneca 3 weeks later.  The reasons are as this:

1. As a rule Pharmacists and Doctors have always told me never “mix and match” medications.  This includes the same medicines that come from different manufacturers.  If mixing and matching is so great then why don’t I mix and match Flu vaccines every year or mix and match different antibiotics?

2. Based upon what Israel has done and what the US government has just recommended, Covid 19 Boosters will be implemented in the near future. So if I got one does of Sinovac and 1 dose of AZ then what vaccine will be my booster?  

Any vaccine is better than no vaccine, unless you prefer to stay locked inside your home for the next many months!

Edited by Xonax
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

When the Russian Sputnik vaccines arrive ,they can mix that

in too, so many vaccines to confuse the virus ????

regards Worgeordie

Oxford University already started a study into mixing the AZ vaccine with Sputnik V back in February. It's mentioned in the same Nature Magazine article I referenced earlier.

Actually, the Sputnik V vaccine is a bit "mix-and-match" in and of itself. It uses a different adenovirus vector for the first and second doses, so in a sense you're getting two different vaccines in the two shots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Probably Sputnik... ????

"Any vaccine is better than no vaccine, unless you prefer to stay locked inside your home for the next many months!"

I said "mix and match" is not a good idea.  If I was offered two doses of Astra Zeneca then I would be "onboard".  Also, I should have my first dose of Pfizer in about 10 days.  Of course it will be at a CVS Pharmacy in my old neighborhood in Southern California.  

• Like 1

"Well, antibiotics are a therapeutic medicine and vaccines are not so they're not even remotely comparable.

When it comes to flu vaccines though, in a couple of ways you are actually mixing different vaccines. Firstly, when you get a flu shot it's not a single vaccine, it's a combination of either 3 (trivalent) or 4 (quadrivalent) different vaccines.

Secondly, each year the flu vaccines change depending on the different strains of flu expected to be in circulation, so from one year to the next you are also "mixing and matching" the different combinations of vaccines."

Antibiotics have been fully approved for over 60 years or so.  The Flu Vaccine(s) has also been studied and approved for many years.  Covid 19 Vaccines have been in exitance for less than  a year and the US Government has only given EUA(Emergency Use Authorization).  AKA:  These vaccines are experimental and I would risk only taking one specific type  at this time.  

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The authorities have cited studies into the cocktail being made by respected institutes like Chulalongkorn University, Ramathibodi Hospital and Sirirat Hospital.

These are not proper human clinical studies.  They are trying to demonstrate equivalence with short term studies.  It reminds me of my working life when the Global VP of clinical research said to me “just tell me what results you want, I will get them and have them published” … he was good to his word.

Testing for all these vaccines has been limited due to the rapid infection rates, however none of these companies are testing a cocktail of the vaccines

i can drink beer

i can drink vodka

beer and vodka things get messy

• Haha 1