Video: Accord hits broken down City on expressway - driver plunges to death with 20,000 Ya Ba found on body

webfact

7pmVI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Dash cam footage from a Honda Accord showed the moment (at 1.30 of the three minute video) when it collided with the back of a Honda City that was parked with its hood up on the hard shoulder of the expressway in Bangkok.

What the footage didn't show was that the driver of the City who had stopped to look at his engine after apparently experiencing mechanical trouble, was thrown to the footpath below the expressway.

Hua Mark police found Sunthorn Ubonrat, 41, from Nakhon Pathom dead. In a bumbag around his waist they found what they think is 20,000 Ya Ba pills and two small ziplock bags of "ice" or crystal meth. 

Up on the expressway - the Rama 9 section heading towards the motorway - they found an unidentified passenger in the City aged about 40-45 with severe head injuries who was taken to hospital.

The driver of the Accord was 32 year old Thirawit Charnkowet who suffered head and leg injuries and was rushed to Sri Nakharin Hospital, reported Daily News

The accident happened Sunday around 3 pm. 

Police said there are two cases to consider - the accident itself and the drugs.

Police went to the hospital to interview the Accord driver but he was in no fit state.

The passenger in the City could also not be interviewed and is in police custody as he recovers due to the drugs being found on the driver of that car. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

But really: it's 3 PM, broad daylight, near empty tollway.

Hard to find a plausible explanation for such a crash ride.

Highly distracted or medical?

I was merely commenting, that is why vehicles have the hazard light switch, not excusing anyone

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Broken down car did not appear to have his hazard light on. 

Hazard light was on, watch the clip again.

The accord driver was obviously half sleeping and high on drugs.

Victim was unlucky, Thai elevated expressways are very dangerous to stop. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Accord driver actually veered left, towards the City, which had been visible for about 10 seconds. As said previously, sleep or phone, probably the latter.

There was plenty of room in the second lane.

If you had made such a catastrophic mistake, would you allow your dash cam video to be shown nationwide?

Most probably retrieved by insurance companies and police. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kcpattaya said:

Mr. Accord dozed-off or was on the phone? Any way: Should be jailed and lose his driver license forever.
The drug courier just has a bad day I guess. Karma?

My thoughts too, Accord driver obviously dozed off or was pre-occupied and veered to the hard shoulder... The City driver was in the wrong place at the wrong time... Karmas a bitch 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Hazard light was on, watch the clip again.

The accord driver was obviously half sleeping and high on drugs.

Victim was unlucky, Thai elevated expressways are very dangerous to stop. 

Yes,I know - coming back from Phuket my pick-up pulley wheel shattered on the bridge , no power steering and just about every warning light came on - ABS etc - we came to a sudden stop in the rush hour ! S___ happens !   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Entirely the fault of the Accord driver, however the Civic's rear end was protruding a foot or so across the inner white line of the inside lane. 

am sure the Accord driver will come up with an explanation -  steering failure ! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Accord driver actually veered left, towards the City, which had been visible for about 10 seconds. As said previously, sleep or phone, probably the latter.

There was plenty of room in the second lane.

If you had made such a catastrophic mistake, would you allow your dash cam video to be shown nationwide?

Did he allow it? I doubt it. Captured and played by the rescuers most probably.

19 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Did he allow it? I doubt it. Captured and played by the rescuers most probably.

That would mean they would have to remove the SD card from the dashcam unit. I am sure that is totally illegal. But TIT.

With regards to the positioning of the broken down car, I suggest the hard shoulder is not sufficiently wide for a stopped vehicle. I do see the Accord appear to be moving toward the parked car, some distance before the vehicle was hit. I noticed that the Accord had appeared to have crossed into the hard shoulder some time prior to the accident. I cannot say with certainty whether the car had its hazard lights on.

There is a lot to be said, at this point, for the practise in the area where I live, to place a tree branch some short distance behind the stopped vehicle. Or perhaps, as required in other countries, 2 red triangles strategically placed so that an approaching driver either sees them, or the vehicle runs over them, thus alerting the driver that something is amiss. It has to be said, though, driver and passenger were still around the car, whereas I was always taught, get away from it, as far as you safely can. That being said, there appeared to be no safe havens for people on that road. And the concrete barriers along the road are not tall enough.

• Like 1