COVID-19: Thailand reports 18,702 new coronavirus cases, 273 more deaths

webfact

REUTERS232.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Friday (August 27) reported 18,702 new COVID-19 cases, 20,163 recoveries and 273 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 20,163 recoveries

18,360 new infections 

342 prison / prison infections

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,139,571 with 10,587 deaths.

(Total infections since April 1: 1,110,708)

The news comes as Thailand is in talks with European countries to purchase millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccines, a health official said on Thursday, as the Southeast Asian nation tries to speed up its inoculation rollout to contain a wave of infections.

Authorities in Thailand have been scrambling to shore up vaccine supplies, despite the country being the production hub for AstraZeneca shots in the region. Last week, the government said it would borrow 150,000 AstraZeneca doses from the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan.

"Some countries may have a surplus of AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines and will be able to sell two to three million doses each month," senior health official Kiattiphum Wongrajit told a briefing.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update27AUG).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 1

Phuket health authorities are reporting 169 new local cases , 1 case from the Sandbox and no deaths. There are 1,309 patients in care. The #PhuketSandbox has had 74 cases since 1st July #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1431044849789116418

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Cases seemed to have increased a bit, and the deaths have gone up as well from the past days numbers.  Chonburi now has it's first increase in a few days as well.  Waiting to see the numbers for ICU's and CCU's to see if those in serious condition or on ventilators may have also increased.  The use of the ATK kits can also be seen as reducing the overall numbers, but we know that when you add them in we are still over 20k.  A plateau as Brewster said, possibly, but then who knows.  It is a Friday and we know that the CCSA will be looking at all numbers and locations to determine whether or not they decide to ease restrictions for Malls and restaurants, as well as parks.  My one bright light in looking at the totals will be seeing the provincial numbers and the BKK numbers to see if they have dropped as well, and then to see where the uptick came from.  Bubble and Seal locations we know are not being listed anymore which shows some subterfuge.  I saw that Thailand has been added to the Red list by the UK, which unfortunately drives another nail into the Tourism coffin.  Maybe by 2022 this will be behind us, well one can only hope so.  Stay safe folks, protect yourself and your families, including your pets and of course that goldfish swimming in the bowl on your counter.

ICU and ventilators, infographic above you.

• Like 1

Walkins are up around 600 from yesterday but tests are exactly the same as yesterday. Forgot to mention one of my students contacted me saying they cannot join the online class today. Going to get vaccinated. Mathayom 1 or grade 7 if you like so 12 or 13 yrs old. Going to be jabbed with Pfizer. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Phuket health authorities are reporting 169 new local cases , 1 case from the Sandbox and no deaths. There are 1,309 patients in care. The #PhuketSandbox has had 74 cases since 1st July #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1431044849789116418

169 pcr positive tests and 103 rapid positive tests bringing unofficial total to 272

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Walkins are up around 600 from yesterday but tests are exactly the same as yesterday. Forgot to mention one of my students contacted me saying they cannot join the online class today. Going to get vaccinated. Mathayom 1 or grade 7 if you like so 12 or 13 yrs old. Going to be jabbed with Pfizer. 

Are Pfizer jabs readily available for 12/13 year olds? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Are Pfizer jabs readily available for 12/13 year olds? 

On the site we cannot quote from there is a story about jabbing all students from 12-18 with pfizer starting nxt mnth. Do not know the exact situation with my student. My students do not come from rich families. Other end of the scale in fact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

169 pcr positive tests and 103 rapid positive tests bringing unofficial total to 272

Hearing that there were possibly 20 cases in Rawai as part of the numbers, of course it is anecdotal as told to me on the phone a few ago while talking to a friend who lives down by the Pier.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

On the site we cannot quote from there is a story about jabbing all students from 12-18 with pfizer starting nxt mnth. Do not know the exact situation with my student. My students do not come from rich families. Other end of the scale in fact.

There are plans in place to jab children as young as 5 according to what my gf has read today on Facebook (so maybe not reliable).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lolalol said:

I don't know what to say.  I read that the UK just red listed Thailand.  And according to this statistics Thailand's COVID situation is getting better.  Something is not right.

I read in another thread that one of the reasons the UK put Thailand on the red list is because Thailand is not doing enough genome analysis to identify new variants.

• Like 2

Covid symptoms last a year for many patients: study

Fatigue and shortness of breath still afflict many patients a year after their hospitalization for Covid-19, according to a new Chinese study calling for a better understanding of the pandemic’s long-term health effects.

Around half of the patients discharged from hospital for Covid still suffer from at least one persistent symptom — most often fatigue or muscle weakness — after 12 months, said the study published in British medical journal The Lancet Friday.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-symptoms-last-a-year-for-many-patients-study/

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1