Mom & Pop Stores in Thailand: What do we really know about them? And, how much do we care?

12 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

i don't see how asking intrusive personal questions to people that you don't know would be considered as more caring, you would probably just be thought of as downright nosey. thats if you could even begin to make yourself understood    Imagine being back in your own country say 50 or so years ago (before all the PC "wokeness") and a barely coherent foreigner continually pesters you every time they come to your shop it wouldn't take long before it <deleted> you off and you barred them

If you want to keep "mom and pop" (where does that phrase come from? ) happy, just keep smiling as you tell them to keep the change 

and as for "being there for you through thick and thin"  see what happens if your money runs out

How unpleasant your outlook on life is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

That sense of community and caring is sadly long gone  in the West. (imho)

That is where Thailand has scored well in these Covid times, against western type societies, where isolation in homes has become a new mental pandemic. 

• Like 1

they are people like everyone else, families good and bad... the nearest one to my home in the village had a moron husband who used to yell out to me and giggle when I would walk past... "wing wing" then laugh to the full extent of his 20 IQ.... though the wife was clever enuf to run a shop and when her 15 yr old niece came to stay, and my 16 yr old nephew started banging her, banished her back to her home village and claim a 50K baht reward was due to her, saying that the girl was pregnant [never any proof] 

I don't stop in there and ask how mom and pop are...

We usually hang at the soup restaurant of another neighbor. That family has enough stories to keep us all busy. 

You live in a village and everyone knows everything about everyones mom and pop w/o having to ask. You live in a village and your kid has a problem at school and you know about it before the kid gets home from school... 

But, maybe your idyllic view makes you happy... 

14 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Its not unique to your local shop ....if you have (enough) money you will find many people in Thailand who will "be there " for you,  even if you don't know them,,,,,,. be careful out there

And that's unique to Thailand?

18 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Don't think I have ever asked the person at the cash register how their day is, mom and pop shop or a big box one.

Why would I ?

Some people understand that a polite and friendly word can lighten someone's day. I often (not always, I admit) greet someone I don't know behind a desk or counter by asking how they are, in English or sometimes in my awful Thai. ????

Edited by Speedhump

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Did you ever pause for a moment to look at the walls in their shops, and realize that they have proud photos of their children conspicuously displayed?

Most of the walls in the local mom and pop shops are Mish mash of peeling paint and smashed mosquitoes.

I always say hello and smile and they respond back with same.

Definitely important for the locals and elderly for basic knick knacks and expired produce.

I would consider personal questions intrusive. However a greeting is always appreciated. My local shop has a 5 year old daughter who speaks an astonishing amount of English and interrogates me every time I go in.

• Like 2