Get bank letter certifying account 1 day in advance of application for extension of stay?

15 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

I generally make a small deposit and then a small withdrawal of the same amount of the deposit.  At one time my bank would use yesterday's balance on the letter and by making both the deposit and withdrawal then the balance in your bankbook will match the balance on the letter.

I just ask the bank to take the letter fee out of my account and they update my book at the counter showing this same day transaction.  And I have the bank's receipt.   Showing a transaction the same day you go to the IO is all that is require.  No deposit needed.  My bank does it for me and gives me two stamped and signed letters, not a copy.  You just have to ask.

• Like 2

Khon Kaen Immigration.  I do the 65K baht per month option for my retirement extension and have gotten the bank letter the day prior.  They don't even look at the date on the letter, but they do want the letter, like it has the highest priority.

• Like 1

what a performance…….now more fully understand the term “ visa grubbing” ….annual humiliating “trial” with Immigration, who dont want you here & abuse their powers by messing expats around with arbitrary “requirements” & changes…….stupidly strict bank documents………knowing how badly desperate farangs need that stamp……which cant be denied so just made like an obstacle course…..its not for me…..will not be messed around…. people regularly making three Imm. visits for each visa / stay extention…..object also to the 800k …..nobody tells me how to manage my money…….I have a ten million baht house lease, thai kid , yellow book, thai bank account, national ID, car, thai driving licenses, clean criminal record etc……all of which count for nothing here to Immigration…….

yet still have to prove income / savings….no Family or House Visa exists……past investment counts for nothing.…….bit like having a typical thai gf !

once did retirement visa from thai embassy…. whole pkg with travel took about 40 hours work …..mainly Police Clearance, Medical, Foreign Bank Letter………embassy clerk approved it in 15 seconds…..

bank letter could be outside thailand then (2015)….. did it for the experience as a “ project” but never again…..only needed 90 day personal reporting for 12 months (no extn of stay)….got messed about with that too…..

BUT later discovered the six month tourist visa for 140 euros !

zero point then for any longstay visa.…….until covid when that visa withdrawn…….

so my solution, after covid amnesty expired, not wanting the two month covid extention bs, when deciding not to move from my house area since March 20, was known reliable connected AGENT. 

30k baht for locally issued Longstay Visa,(forget the “ Chonburi” visa issue when not resident!) ……including all reporting type Imm. visits, zero “documents” or bank deposits or Imm. visits, etc……. get to control my money 100% …….I do however separately check that my visa / extn IS on the Imm. Computer so Legal…….

I do understand & respect why most expats obsess & go through the visa grubbing bs…..they want to be “legal” … believing Agent route is somehow not Legal ( wrong; any of these “requirements” CAN and ARE legally Waived all the time) and also save 28k agent costs each year & even seem to enjoy the process compliance bs ….. obsessing whether bank charges 100 or 200 baht….four hour return trips to Imm, etc…its just not for me…..

I have however gone through the extremely gruelling Yellow Book Municipal ( 12 wk) process, with necessary support from my great Thai Lady……again I had the time and viewed it as another “project” to further experience & embed myself here with house & family…….enabled my Pink ID but no other use except no Imm. COR needed….ever…..so its not that I dont have the patience with govt. bs…….just reserve the right to sidestep it where possible…..

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Are you guys getting a bank statement as well as (or instead of) the letter? 

Seems to be what is wanted here in Issan at the moment.

For retirement extension based on 800k+ never needed more than the letter (confirming account, account holder, current balance) plus the bankbook (and copies).

No account statements with transactions or the like.

Bangkok Bank can update the book at the counter without any transaction (deposit/withdraw).

A mate had an "observation" at KK immi last time: he has a fixed deposit account with no movement (except interest) since years.

He was asked what he was living on. He didn't have his other bankbook with him showing monthly pension transfers. He got through this time with raised eyebrows.

In such case have all bankbooks (updated) with you.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No account statements with transactions or the like.

First up agree with your post.

There have been couple of reports where statements were required using money in bank method.

One was at CW and I knew that was not normally the case.

Turns out the guy was doing many online banking transactions per day. As a result when updated his bankbook his transactions were consolidated and io demanded statements.

Point of this past is to suggest that folk have a designated bank a/c for immigration and separate a/c for day to day use.

Edited by DrJack54

45 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

I do understand & respect why most expats obsess & go through the visa grubbing bs…

No, you don't understand. You're missing out on the thrill of the big game day. The thrill of victory when all your preparations pay off and you walk out of immigration holding your head high with your fresh stamps in the passport. Or the pain of defeat when your IO opponent pulls some unexpected tricks out of their gamebook and sends you packing, tail between your legs to go home and lick your wounds. It wouldn't be a very exciting game if the outcome were always guaranteed and there was no pain.

36 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

He didn't have his other bankbook with him showing monthly pension transfers. He got through this time with raised eyebrows.

In such case have all bankbooks (updated) with you.

That's good information about the bankbook.

With Bangkok Bank if you go too long between bankbook updates transactions are consolidated so you loose the line by line record of transactions. I've been stopping by the local bank and using the machine to update my bankbook once a month.

• Like 1

IO CW I use the fix account at BKK Bank, Interest paid once a year In Jan, traction interest paid in and another tax taken out. Normally go one before but IO has told CW good up 7 days, never done it so don't know for sure. When coming to the building I go BKK Bank due a up date and have copy by the bank , no charge. Work since the Embassy stop giving income letters 2019? 

On 8/28/2021 at 5:15 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration want a statement to be stamped by the bank when it is done.

OK, thanks for the explanation. My wife said it has to come from the bank, I guess I need to listen to her about this stuff. 

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Point of this past is to suggest that folk have a designated bank a/c for immigration and separate a/c for day to day use.

Absolutely. For the 400k/800k method always have a separate account without ATM card. No risk to accidentally pull too much etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

what a performance…….now more fully understand the term “ visa grubbing” ….annual humiliating “trial” with Immigration, who dont want you here & abuse their powers by messing expats around with arbitrary “requirements” & changes

biz

What an odd statement.

One hour every year out of my time.

Hardly a humiliating trial is it?

Edited by fishtank

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Far from it. He hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Coming 16 years here now and they still hiss me around as if I'm the new kid on the block.

Agreed. 

It's not just the 1hr at immigration (and in my experience rarely just 1hr).

Its getting all the papers in order, getting and paying for the bank letter and statements, photocopies of pages of Passport and updated bankbook, photos at home pasted correctly on the A4 paper,  wife getting KorRor2 paper from local Amphur, travel to and from IO (and back again 30days later to collect stamp for passport) AND the "home visit"....every year where I live....organising neighbors to be present with their ID cards and house books.

Certainly not just 1hr a year !!

21 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Far from it. He hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Coming 16 years here now and they still hiss me around as if I'm the new kid on the block.

What type visa and what problems have you had? Was it a particular location?

4 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Agreed. 

It's not just the 1hr at immigration (and in my experience rarely just 1hr).

Its getting all the papers in order, getting and paying for the bank letter and statements, photocopies of pages of Passport and updated bankbook, photos at home pasted correctly on the A4 paper,  wife getting KorRor2 paper from local Amphur, travel to and from IO (and back again 30days later to collect stamp for passport) AND the "home visit"....every year where I live....organising neighbors to be present with their ID cards and house books.

Certainly not just 1hr a year !!

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Is switching to retirement visa possible?

14 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Is switching to retirement visa possible?

Yes, possibly,  but don't want to tie up so much money for so long. 

I've got the time to do this nonsense, so it's not a great hassle. 

But certainly more than 1hr a year. 

I'm assuming you're on a retirement extension, but I think the subject was about marriage extensions. 

Chalk and cheese.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I'm assuming you're on a retirement extension

Yes retirement extension for me and it does tie up a large sum of money for sure. I've been using the 65,000/month method which is more than I use on a monthly basis during good times living in the boonies. My account has grown rapidly past 18 months with the covid situation so the 800K method makes sense to simply things.

I guess another advantage to a marriage extension is employment is possible if one were interested in working.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

I guess another advantage to a marriage extension is employment is possible if one were interested in working.

Work?? At 70?? Don't think so, despite 50yrs in aviation#,  nobody wants to employ a 70 year old, no matter the huge experience one could pass on. 

#and an Australian Teacher's Diploma pre aviation career. 

Getting permanent resident status (HKID) in Hong Kong was easy by comparison.  Just work there 7yrs ,apply, and get it.

No language tests, etc.

Here, nearly impossible after 15yrs.

37 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

What type visa and what problems have you had?

Well this year they never did my 90 day report when I did my marriage extension. My extension fell within the time line of the report. The officer did the paperwork for the extension and then handed me back my passport. I asked him why he hadn't done the 90 day report. He said all will be sorted out when I return once the under consideration has been accepted. That now puts me on failing to report. I'm due to go and collect my under consideration marriage stamp tomorrow. I went to the IOffice to do my extension on the 04 Aug. My report date was 12 Aug + 7. So when I go tomorrow I'm  12 days late.

If I get asked for 2,000 Baht then the siht will hit the fan. My missus was with me on 4 Aug and will confirm what happened. It's not the money its the continual runaround that they put us through.

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Not true

Yes it is true. A person on a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai can get a work permit and work. It is even possible to use income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is true. A person on a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai can get a work permit and work. It is even possible to use income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement.

Well I apologise. I'm sure a few weeks back the same info was paraded and the conclusion was you couldn't work. I must be confused.

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Well I apologise. I'm sure a few weeks back the same info was paraded and the conclusion was you couldn't work. I must be confused.

I found the article.

This visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for a period of one year, and it can be renewed annually from within Thailand, as long as you continue to remain married and meet all the criteria for the visa. A Non-Immigrant O Visa does not allow you to work in Thailand, but it does allow you to apply for a work permit.

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I found the article.

No visa allows you to work. Only a work permit allows you to work is apparently what they are referring to.

It is certainly possible to get  a work permit if married to a Thai. There are even some special clauses in the rules for the work permit application if married to a Thai.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 3:47 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

So when I go tomorrow I'm  12 days late.

If I get asked for 2,000 Baht then the siht will hit the fan. My missus was with me on 4 Aug and will confirm what happened.

I went to immigration today and got my Marriage Extension. Even though my 90 day report was 12 days late I was not penalised with a fine. I'm still somewhat confused over this.