Latest Covid Poll: Thais want good vaccine, slam "dishonest" government, praise their own resilience

webfact

A few I know refused 'substandard' vaccines. It makes sense, once the government provided them with a vaccine, there's little hope they can get a better one without paying quite a lot of money.... and for the forseeable future, even those are hard to get without passing age and morbidity limitations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

90.64% cited the dishonest failures of the Thai government in coping with the pandemic, playing politics  and being hopeless in solving corruption issues. 

So no election anytime soon then.

• Like 2

Me, my wife, and other fam members are waiting for the call for the vaccine. Health officials came and took a copy of my passport and their ID cards nearly two weeks ago, and were told it should be any day now. My coworkers and others in nearby villages have had theirs.

Her phone's been ringing, and we get anxious each time. Yet the calls have been trying to sell bloody car insurance.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

18 minutes ago, koele2 said:

If a vaccine is only 50% effective, it’s not a vaccine, it’s vitamin C.  Thais know their govt bought lots of sinovac to please the Chinese, not for the good of public health.  

The warehouses of some school districts in America are filled with unused books. They're no longer up to snuff for whatever reason, the curriculum's been changed, whatever. But the important thing is someone got a nice kickback for those orders. It's an old story.

• Like 2

The pandemic has shined the light on this government the problem in general the average Thai have no idea how to go about making the changes their education system and culture has condition them to follow instead of lead.  You remove the old piece what do you replace it with?  do you take another piece from the swamp and put a new name or color to it?????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, koele2 said:

If a vaccine is only 50% effective, it’s not a vaccine, it’s vitamin C.  Thais know their govt bought lots of sinovac to please the Chinese, not for the good of public health.  

The efficacy of sinovac seems to differ on various web sites and I even read where it said an AZ first dose followed by a Sinovac as 2nd dose gave a factor of 6x normal protection .

However what is certain is that the cost of a single dose of sinovac is not a constant figure . In Thailand               as little as $4 and the Philippines as much as $38  .  AZ=$10 ,  Pfizer=39 , Moderna $50 ,                       Sputnik v = under $20  . So forgetting corruption if economy is driving vaccine procurement we can understand why sinovac is the preferred Thai vaccine 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

typical emotional illogical thai poll response. 28% said govt was of “any help”.

no fan but without thai govt. work, might have been zero covid vax here so far……

Thai govt also had a large part in spreading the covid with its non apologetic policies 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Top priority from now as specified by 84.12% of respondents was the need for good quality vaccine so that 100% of the people could get a jab.

Meanwhile, the citizens can use the local made mouthwash, which will be on the market soon to kill the C19.

19 hours ago, connda said:

Well, they'd just point out what I'm going to point out:  It's a stretch to believe a sample size of 1510 people is representative of the nation as a whole.  Personally I don't put much stock in polls.

Bangkok poll, not real without conducting nation wide poll.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

90.64% cited the dishonest failures of the Thai government in ..... solving corruption issues. 

That's an odd thing to say, since the government is the root of most of the big corruption issues, lol!

• Like 2

The 90% figure is somewhat heartening. It reflects what I hear talking to Thai friends, family and employees. Most voice concern about the direction of travel of many of the key metrics of governmental competence here.

They talk of an education system which is not fit for purpose and getting worse, something which is confirmed by Thailands fall in world educational standings over the last few decades. They see corruption getting worse, even though it was a key promise of the junta when they seized power that this issue would be addressed. Again this seems to be confirmed by international surveys. They talk about the increasing gap between rich and poor, again something well documented in international reports and not just for Thailand. 

However there is also a knowledge that the 10% whose interests this government largely represents and promotes will pull every trick in the book to stay in power. Disenfranchising opposition parties, rigging the political system in their favor, and on and on. Given that most people value a peaceable life and the great difficulty many have just making ends meet, in combination with the pretty compliant nature of many people here, for me it is hard to judge what will happen going forwards.  

• Like 1