Make sure your sunscreen is not on the banned list in Thailand

snoop1130

dfgerg.jpg

Bangkok, 30 August, 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to advise tourists on the use of sunscreen that contains certain chemicals deemed harmful to coral reefs, which is now banned across all of the country’s national parks.

The ban came into effect following an announcement by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation that was published in the Royal Thai Government Gazette on 3 August, 2021.

It prohibits the bringing of and use of sunscreen containing any of the four chemicals into Thailand’s national parks.

The four chemicals are Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3, BP-3), Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate), 4-Methylbenzylid Camphor (4MBC) and Butylparaben.

Violators can be fined up to 100,000 Baht.

The announcement cited studies that have found several chemical compounds in sunscreen products are harmful to coral reefs, destroying coral larvae, obstructing their reproductive system and causing coral bleaching.

Tourists preparing for a trip to Thailand’s national parks are advised to check that the ingredients list does not contain any of these chemicals. They should instead look for sunscreen that is coral friendly and which uses mineral-based products; such as, zinc oxide. The use of water-resistant sunscreen is also recommended, as is the wearing of hats and long-sleeved swimwear to help reduce the need for excessive use of sunscreen. 

Southern Thailand’s beautiful beaches and coral reefs are a major drawcard for tourists. By adopting an environmental approach, we can help ensure they stay as such.

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/08/make-sure-your-sunscreen-is-not-on-the-banned-list-in-thailand/

32 minutes ago, kimamey said:

They should be able to deal with more than one problem at a time. 

I would have though protecting coral was a pressing problem and the longer you leave it to "deal with more pressing problems" the more urgent and difficult to deal with it becomes.

If you think coral in Thailand is a big issue 

over the rest of the things that are wrong here,  your mad mate. it's 1000000000000 on the list 

Roll one more, big one .!!!!!! LOL. :stoner:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

better yet have they raided all of the pharmacies, markets and 7-11's that sell sunscreen to ensure the banned products are not available.  

They're only banned in National Parks, apparently.

A better solution would be a sticker or silk screen on each bottle sold in Thailand that meets the requirement.

10 hours ago, Orinoco said:

If you think coral in Thailand is a big issue 

over the rest of the things that are wrong here,  your mad mate. it's 1000000000000 on the list 

Roll one more, big one .!!!!!! LOL. :stoner:

Other countries seem to manage it pretty easily without much problem. I'm fully aware there are big problems but this is just one small easy step that shouldn't stop them dealing with the others.  From what others say the citral here isn't that good but if you just wait until you've solved ask the other problems then you mutt as well not bother. 

11 hours ago, kimamey said:

I've just looked at a bottle of Nivea that I had in my bag from when I came back last year and most of the ingredients are covered by a security tag.

Been using Nivea Sun SPF50+PA++++ for almost 20 years.

Made in Bangna-Trad

Not one of the chemicals listed in it.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The four chemicals are Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3, BP-3), Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate), 4-Methylbenzylid Camphor (4MBC) and Butylparaben.

Violators can be fined up to 100,000 Baht

Ridiculous.

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

Other countries seem to manage it pretty easily without much problem. I'm fully aware there are big problems but this is just one small easy step that shouldn't stop them dealing with the others.  From what others say the citral here isn't that good but if you just wait until you've solved ask the other problems then you mutt as well not bother. 

Do you live here ?

Have you seen the way most Thai people treat there country on environment issues ?

Thailand is one big open tip for the Thais,  with a big blue wet bin, down one side.  used all day by the Thais.

Your just getting suckered into the blame game Thailand does. so well.

You been had mate.

Coral number 100000000000 on the list of stuff to  fix.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, connda said:

Some of the most pathetic coral I've seen in my global travels.  It might have been Ok 30+ years ago.  Now?  Now the beach police will be looking to cash in on the unwary pasty white farangs. 
The damage to the local coral doesn't have much to do with sunscreen.  The are much more obvious factors that are simply ignored. 

you are 100% correct, I have dived off the shores of Pattaya and was shocked at the total absence of marine life, coral is not just the coral, it is a whole eco system of marine life all of which plays a ballanced critical role in the survival of the coral, sunscreen would not high on the list of things Thailand needs to be doing, in fact in the grand scheme of things it probably shouldn't be on the list

• Like 2

For an administration that has ignored the environment, let the air degrade to a dangerous level, and done nothing to protect the nation on any level, this is the grandest form of hypocrisy possible. Feel free to cite some environmental promises that were followed up on, if you can. Otherwise, this is just more deflection from men with a staggering level of incompetence and indifference toward their land, water and the common man. 

So, what about air quality, while we are on the topic of the environment. For 6 or 7 months of the year, the air terrorizes this nation. And have they done anything about it? There is a very simple solution to this problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease. So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.
2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.
3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

The government should offer incentives, for the farmers to switch crops. This is 2021. Rice and sugar worked in previous centuries. Now, they do not make any sense. Too labor intensive, too much degradation of the land, water, air, and resources. Let's get with the times. Let us move forward. 

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

Lastly they can convert all of the 10 remaining diesel and coal fired power plants. Thailand has already done a very admirable job with renewable power plants. There are over 50 powered by hydro, geothermal, wind, solar and biomass. That is impressive. 

I know I am dreaming. It takes a progressive administration to do these kinds of things, and Prayuth and his gang are as regressive as they come. The youth must prevail. At the risk of a 15 year jail sentence, as they are trying to impose of the man who is the only hope this nation has in Thanathorn, the dinosaurs must be forced to the side, and the youth must figure out a way to lead this nation forward. Otherwise, it is nothing but darkness, that will prevail.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So are they going to use a test on a persons body to determine if the sunscreen used was illegal, especially if it is left in the room prior to heading out for the day.....better yet have they raided all of the pharmacies, markets and 7-11's that sell sunscreen to ensure the banned products are not available.  

Hell no!!!! They cannot go after any 7/11 or anything that effects sales revenue for CP. They are the puppet masters

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Been using Nivea Sun SPF50+PA++++ for almost 20 years.

Made in Bangna-Trad

Not one of the chemicals listed in it.

Not sure where mine is made but it's the same and after removing the tag it seems ok.

This issue has been around for a while in other countries so the manufacturers will have already removed offending ingredients. I would think the problem would be with cheaper lesser or unknown brands. It's possible that bigger brands might produce different variants depending on regulations in different countries but I doubt it. 

As others have said the main focus should be on stopping any places selling sunscreen containing those ingredients.

then “never mind”  the raw effluent running straight into the sea at every beach end, typically 100 metres from coral reefs…….plus the plastic & metal garbage strewn everywhere in beach zones…….

sunscreen regs are for advanced almost totally eco- clean countries like Switz. or Norway….here its just the new normal virtue-signalling gesture politics…….with 20 million + here living in poverty on 2k baht monthly there are 1000 matters of far higher importance & urgency…….but hey ho, mai pen rai.

• Like 1