Any scuttlebutt on how long you're considered fully vaccinated?

Heng

For travel that is.   I know it's still early days.  It seems the standard is 2 weeks from your 2nd dose (of a 2 dose regimen) to be considered fully vaccinated.   Any word on how long you're good for though?    1 year?   Hopefully not less, hopefully longer.  The first 'classes' of fully vaxxed folks (Americans and people who had availability first) should be coming up on one year in December. 

17 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

Israel is already discussing a fourth round of jabs, so we can probably look forward to a future where we’re all required to have two or three boosters a year if we want to be allowed out in public, and an extra one thrown in for good luck every time we want to cross a border. 

I said from the beginning that it would play out like this, and everyone called me an idiot. 

These vaccines are like a flu shot; They will most likely keep you from getting sick, but they’re not going to make covid go away. 

Looking ahead I believe it will just become the same as a flu jab, once a year, pre winter

• Like 2

Just like the annual flu shot, a "booster" is probably going to be required every year or depending

on variants even shorter durations.  A normal flu shot is usually good just for the period that locations flu season, 4-6 months and if this virus continues to mutate it could just make all the current vaccines obsolete anyway.  Just look at the Americans that refuse any vaccine and their numbers of serious illness and/or death - double shots or J&J that do still come down with the virus normally do not

even have to go to the hospital at all.  I we had as many non-vaxxers for polio, yellowfever, smallpox and all the other shots we get, hospitals would be swamped all the time!

• Like 2

"Any word on how long you're good for though?" 

You don't know how many antibodies you will have after vaccination. Can be okay or can be almost nothing. So the question "how long" is perhaps the wrong one. Everybody reacts differently and if you really want to know if you are (still) protected only a laboratory test showing your antibody levels might give you at least an idea in respect of protection - but no guarantee that you will not get sick. This depends also on things like the virus load you get. So still a good idea to protect yourself - if you care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone really has the exact answer it changes daily with each vaccine and if there is more variants?  I remember data suggesting one year for Pfizer and Moderna that was before the Delta came around. Would be safe for me to say that is the reason we got vaccines like Pfizer due to warp speed since it takes years before a vaccine is approved we got it in record time red tape cut which I would assume not all the normal data would be available like length.  As time goes and goes each month they test and now they are suggesting boosters everything I read suggested at some point it would be necessary just a bit earlier than expected. ????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

"Clinical trial data suggested decreased effectiveness would occur several months after full vaccination, but our findings indicate that confronted by the delta variant, vaccine effectiveness for mildly symptomatic disease was considerably lower and waned six to eight months after completing vaccination."

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210901/Experts-show-waning-effectiveness-of-COVID-19-vaccines-over-time.aspx

Antibodies from Sinovac's COVID-19 shot fade after about 6 months, booster helps - study.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/antibodies-sinovacs-covid-19-shot-fade-after-about-6-months-booster-helps-study-2021-07-26/

2 hours ago, Sudarut said:

Why would someone take a third dose of something that didn't work the first two times?

Funny you should say that. 

Was in the news last few days ,in America one person got 4 jabs and now he's got C19 .     

So whats good or not, a jab or no jab.

• Like 2

All I know is 2 weeks after my 2nd jab next week, I will plan a trip out of the village for at least a long weekend before I go completely nucking futz.

I will however not let my guard down concerning masks etc.

The next challenge will be to get Mor Prom working for the certificate, by tracking down my 13 digit vax number.

• Like 1

I guess as far as length of protection, some of that is going to be individually specific.  For me, where I normally have to see 550 people in front of me in a 3 month span during flu season and under stress, getting the flu shot just makes sense.  I'll be looking at C-19 the same way.  Question is will C-19 become a seasonal thing as time goes on.  Why does the flu have a season at the same time each year ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

"Any word on how long you're good for though?" 

You don't know how many antibodies you will have after vaccination. Can be okay or can be almost nothing. So the question "how long" is perhaps the wrong one. Everybody reacts differently and if you really want to know if you are (still) protected only a laboratory test showing your antibody levels might give you at least an idea in respect of protection - but no guarantee that you will not get sick. This depends also on things like the virus load you get. So still a good idea to protect yourself - if you care.

I look 10X both ways before crossing the road... hope to be okay for a long time.????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I would consult the doctor who you regularly go to rather than ask lay people here what, when, and how you should be doing anything around vaccinations, for any virus. 

Yeah my GP has no idea about what the various customs/border control orgs around the world will stipulate as OK to enter.    Not really concerned with actual vaccine effectiveness; more concerned with the legalities of vaccines in regard to travel.   Hence the wide 'what have you heard' net. 

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Several countries are now saying your vaccine can not be older than 8 months to be considered valid for entry.

Now that's the kind of anecdotal stuff I was looking for... ????????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, digger70 said:

Was in the news last few days ,in America one person got 4 jabs and now he's got C19 .     

You got a link from a reputable source for that? It should be almost impossible for anyone to get a fourth jab. Very few can now get the third.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Antibodies from Sinovac's COVID-19 shot fade after about 6 months, booster helps - study

But, antibodies are not the whole story. Think back to your biology 304. Antibodies are generated so your body can fight an infection. When the infection is over, the antibodies diminish. Your body, however, via T-Cells and B-Cells, remembers how to make the antibodies when you get reinfected. So you may get infected again, but your  body already knows how to fight it, and the subsequent illness will  be greatly diminished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heng said:

Yeah my GP has no idea about what the various customs/border control orgs around the world will stipulate as OK to enter.    Not really concerned with actual vaccine effectiveness; more concerned with the legalities of vaccines in regard to travel.   Hence the wide 'what have you heard' net. 

It's a moving target. We're on the road and no longer plan more than 2 weeks out. Rules keep changing. Sucks.

• Sad 1

Recent studies are out recently showing that vaccinated have the same viral load as unvaccinated. This means vaccinated can spread the virus and some studies show the vaccine helps slow the transmission of the delta variant.

I think the jury is still out on the waning/longevity equation of vaccine protection as the FDA ponders 3rd injection booster. I think no one really knows for sure how long vaccine protection is afforded by moderna and other vaccines.

Edited by i84teen
  • Like 1