What’s “Dirty job man” up to?

webfact

Thammanat-Prayut-politics_web.jpg

(Photo by Lillian Suwanrumpha / AFP)

OPINION

by Tulsathit Taptim

The question regarding Prayut Chan-o-cha and Thammanat Prompao is whether it’s a “mountain out of a molehill” situation or a “no smoke without fire” development.

In a world where Prayut and Thammanat are sworn buddies, nothing can hurt them in Parliament. In a world where they are open enemies, it will be a total state of flux, a romance-of-the-three-kingdom situation at its detrimental worst. Many would prefer either world, though, because at least things are clear-cut.

In this world, where all the cards have not been laid on the table, the game of brinkmanship will be at full swing, public anxiety will be persistent and supporters and opponents of both will have to be constantly on their toes. One wrong move can be disastrous. One wrong statement can expose hypocrisy and come back to haunt anyone big time.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/whats-dirty-job-man-up-to/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

#1 I would like to know if Cpt. Thammanat is still a serving officer in the army, and if he is, how does he (officially) find and manage his time to be a deputy minister?

#2 He must have some really good secrets or threats over so many others, as it is claimed he 'has a large number of MPs under his control' ????

I'm not sure who I dislike most.... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fangless said:

Can anyone explain the sentence above to me. 

What are they doing to make them open enemies outside of Parliament?

I am glad you asked, because I've been brooding over that sentence for 10 minutes, trying to make sense out of it and starting to question my cognitive abilities.

• Thanks 1

A photo is worth a thousand words…

I love the headline pic of the guy in the forefront with his joker smile, fake-praying to Buddha. Then you have the big-eared loser standing behind him (right side of the picture). 

Very disturbing and cringeworthy to consider either of these two holding any significant position in leadership.

Especially, while looking at that photo. 

Edited by DBath
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, fangless said:

No, I got a headache just reading this post, no way was I going to click on full story, I could end up with a migraine or worse.

• Like 2

The article: an example of the Thai writer's astonishing ability to speak volumes whilst saying nothing that could conceivably cause offense.

Thammanat - he's been known by at least three other names, so best to check the latest one - must be owed an enormous favour by someone of profound influence and extraordinary power...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Prime examples of 'Good People'..

Yes, the sad thing is: what can the rest of us truly good people do about it? It's discouraging when you think about this and expand it to what is happening on a global scale.

15 hours ago, fangless said:

It's the Asian equivalent to a Shakespearian reference. 

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is acclaimed as one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature; it has a total of 800,000 words and nearly a thousand dramatic characters (mostly historical) in 120 chapters.[1] The novel is among the most beloved works of literature in East Asia,[2] and its literary influence in the region has been compared to that of the works of Shakespeare on English literature.[3] It is arguably the most widely read historical novel in late imperial and modern China.[4] Herbert Giles stated that among the Chinese themselves, this is regarded as the greatest of all their novels.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

Edited by skatewash

11 hours ago, DBath said:

Yes, the sad thing is: what can the rest of us truly good people do about it? It's discouraging when you think about this and expand it to what is happening on a global scale.

The issues in Thailand are miniature compared to the real evils in the world - instigated/conducted by the same old parties.

22 hours ago, 2long said:

#1 I would like to know if Cpt. Thammanat is still a serving officer in the army, and if he is, how does he (officially) find and manage his time to be a deputy minister?

#2 He must have some really good secrets or threats over so many others, as it is claimed he 'has a large number of MPs under his control' ????

I'm not sure who I dislike most.... 

I remember reading of one MP who thanked him publicly, for helping him out financially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

The issues in Thailand are miniature compared to the real evils in the world - instigated/conducted by the same old parties.

I guess that was kinda-sorta the point I was trying to make. 

That said, there are far better places to be than Thailand, IMO - at least for me personally.

Sadly, my homeland - the US - is not one of them. 

12 hours ago, fangless said:

Thanks! But that still does not explain what the sentence actually means in plain English?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms (in translation):

"The world under heaven, after a long period of division, tends to unite; after a long period of union, tends to divide. This has been so since antiquity..."

https://www.threekingdoms.com/001.htm

Edited by skatewash
  • Confused 1