Palang Pracharat settles on coexistence with powerful rebel minister

webfact

te3.jpg

By Cod Satrusayang

Last week, Thammanat Prompao nearly toppled the government according to local media reports. The one-time drug dealer turned deputy agricultural minister looked set to launch an internal coup against Prayut Chan-ocha and vote him out of office during a no-confidence motion.

A last minute intervention by the military clique within the ruling Palang Pracharat saved the government blushes and kept Prayut in power. (Read more here) But now the question remains, what to do with the would-be rebel Thammanat.

The easy answer would be to kick him out of his ministerial position and the party but the reality is not that simple. Thammanat remains a powerful figure in Thai politics with his grassroots connections extending deep within the Thai political strata, especially in his native North East where he has extensive networks.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/32362/palang-pracharat-settles-on-coexistence-with-powerful-rebel-minister/

ti.jpg

22 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

That's all the country needs these days: A drug dealer PM.

Well this is Thailand everything's possible those Salim in power don't care what the population think

they will put the man in power offering the most benefits. I heard the question asked if Thammanat could have led

this rebellion without Prawit's blessing I think the answer is a resounding no.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The bane of current Thai politics, but when you initially take power by an illegal coup, what do you expect ? 

Until they get rid of this military control, Thailand will not progress forward sadly.

Goes for a lot of Asian countries, run by the military of very wealthy families.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seajae said:

prayut would be kicking himself for vouching for this man and claiming he was not jailed in Australia for drugs, he made up BS excuses so that he would have him and his following behind him to make sure he won the election, now it is all backfiring. If thammanat changes parties I get the feeling he will suddenly be found to have been jailed for drug importation when some missing/over looked paper work suddenly shows up or he will die from "natural" causes guaranteeing his followers do as they are told

One can only hope ????

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The bane of current Thai politics, but when you initially take power by an illegal coup, what do you expect ? 

Until they get rid of this military control, Thailand will not progress forward sadly.

That's only a measured part of it. 

The military answers to a higher body. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wordchild said:

he has gone! if true its the best news (for Thailand) that i heard for a long time. Much as i cant stand the PM this guy was pure poison.

I think this whole affair was pure Lakorn Thai. 

Most have been suckered in.

who will now hand out drug laundered bananas to potential cobra MP's at times at censure?

This very time it was the PM itself in his cabinet at the parliament house.

But that can't go on forever.

Thammanat can admit publicly that he, indeed, hands out bananas at each censure debate.

But for the PM constantly doing it sounds a little inappropriate. Investigation into this accusation is still ongoing and nobody knows yet what factual material was gathered. Might be the case, that somebody recorded conversation with an offer and walked out from it