Foreigners who join anti-govt protests face deportation and blacklist: Thai police

webfact

19 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

It's not veiled at all. They're being quite clear, broadcasting their punch, telling foreigners to mind their own business.

Never did that when help was offered by foreigners rescuing all those kids trapped in the cave a few years back, without which they would have all died.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

having met some of those youngsters who took part in a demo, I realised what racist a******* they are

that is interesting. how did you happan to meet them and check their a*******?

but seriously, there is a dangerous frustration among the public from all this brutal

closure of the economy, and it might be a threat to farang (who, as opposed to

cambodians, might have some valueables at their residence, be it even a laptop).

Excuse me if this has already been asked, but what if a foreigner who has become a naturalized Thai citizen is caught up in a protest?  Will the Thai government strip them of their Thai citizenship and then deport them?  This is assuming that the person in question is now a dual national and has not renounced their previous citizenship.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I was in Bangkok and was wandering around during the infamous Red shirt protests. It was one big party. The people could not possibly have been kinder, or more welcoming. So, I seriously doubt your rather silly presumption of violence. 

That’s great that you had that experience. I can’t claim firsthand what it would be like. I would tend to avoid such situation, but to each his own, Spidey. 

I just keep thinking back to a couple of different videos I’ve seen here on TVF (can’t locate them at the moment), one where a farang was at a protest standing there with his 10 year-old daughter. He appeared to be minding his own business, not sure…but regardless; one of the leaders of that protest came over and head-butted him. It was quite violent and disturbing to watch. While the video may not have captured the entirety of the situation, it appeared to be unprovoked. 

That’s what my ‘silly presumption’, as you so ‘intelligently’ termed ittermed it, was based on.

That was a presumption on your part, IMO. Perhaps you’re also presuming I have something against protests in general - I don’t really - and I know how much you support them, based on some of the long-winded rants I’ve seen here - by you. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

they are not against freedom of speech or people opening the irmouth,  , they  are only trying to protect us, the public, from spread of dangerous virus

Right, they are not against freedom of speech.... This is the funniest thing I saw for a long time - are you a well paid Royalist?

If they are not against freedom of speech, why do they shoot at people in the street for simply saying they want some kind of reform - of the corrupt regime, of some slight changes to the way the monarchy rapes the country???

Oh, that's right, it's because they might catch a cold being outside whilst being sprayed with chemicals by the police. I got it now.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, petermik said:

I think being a visitor to the country we should respect their laws....whether we agree with them is another matter.

Nobody can respect these clowns, except in the context of simply staying out of trouble...

I mean - wearing a mask driving your own car? Really? How can anyone not think that is ridiculous?

Thai's have it right - just show superficial respect in public - it's only a matter of face. There's no real respect for the law here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

bike riding wearing mask but no helmet is even more ludicrous………

does it not occur that wearing a full face helmet with visor gives fullest head protection and removes need for useless cloth mask…….

Not everyone has or wants a full face helmet... a bit too suffocating, especially with a mask on.

Just put the darned mask on and stop being a cry baby......

15 minutes ago, johng said:

It was not entirely unprovoked...the foreigner kept on arguing with the protester leader calling the protests/ers  "rubbish"  saying they where damaging Pattaya's/Thailand's image even getting right up in the leaders face....eventually the "headbutter"  lost his temper...he should not have done that it damaged not only his reputation but also Thailand's and that of his cause too...so in a strange sort of twist the foreigner was actually correct :crazy:

I think someone else may have mentioned this, but again I couldn't find the video or the posts around it... 

Pretty stupid for the guy to be doing that and risking not only his safety, but his daughter's safety as well. I can't imagine taking my children to a protest, even if I were in agreement regarding the cause.

Another point I'd like to make is: situations like some of these protests can get quite volatile, so unless you know it's not going to turn out poorly, best to avoid those scenes, IMO.

Edited by DBath

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You think it's better elsewhere? LOL.

Yes, I do. My son lives in Washington State. They still have mask mandates but businesses have resumed operation using stringent distancing protocols and schools are carefully reopening. No curfew, you can have a beer or ten with your sit down meal, you get the picture. So yeah, it's better there. LOL

3 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Yes, I do. My son lives in Washington State. They still have mask mandates but businesses have resumed operation using stringent distancing protocols and schools are carefully reopening. No curfew, you can have a beer or ten with your sit down meal, you get the picture. So yeah, it's better there. LOL

I wasn't referring just to the corona stuff.

I'd prefer LOS even with the corona stuff to any western country.

If I hadn't married the wrong woman I'd still be there and lovin it.

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Right, they are not against freedom of speech.... This is the funniest thing I saw for a long time - are you a well paid Royalist?

If they are not against freedom of speech, why do they shoot at people in the street for simply saying they want some kind of reform - of the corrupt regime, of some slight changes to the way the monarchy rapes the country???

Oh, that's right, it's because they might catch a cold being outside whilst being sprayed with chemicals by the police. I got it now.

i was kiddin...

DSCF2606.JPG

jacko ; then not every rider is properly protected…… helmet visor can be open when riding at low speed so helmet comfortable , fragile jaw protected……check out thailand “maxillofacial” jaw fracture injuries online…...gone native with the “local logic” brain app installed have we…..raises rhetorical questions like is such person bike - competent/ licensed / insured / taxed / maintained ………supporting the mask -with -no -helmet nonsense seems quite peculiar…..mask of course worn when dismounted when you can then actually catch & infect……darn logic again I know……

On 9/9/2021 at 10:39 AM, Whale said:

That does not make sense. By all means arrest him/her for breaking covid rules but what has their nationality got to do with anything and why do they have to "warn" foreigners specifically? 

You should very carefully read the small print in your visa conditions. We should NOT get involved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

that is interesting. how did you happan to meet them and check their a*******?

but seriously, there is a dangerous frustration among the public from all this brutal

closure of the economy, and it might be a threat to farang (who, as opposed to

cambodians, might have some valueables at their residence, be it even a laptop).

By accident I came across one of the protests earlier this year, with some participants I met on the skywalk nearby making anti-foreigner comments...

But yes, I know enough younger and older Thais who just see them as 'mob' ( I am quoting them). And while I was shocked at what happened in Hong Kong (a city I learned to love, and who's people I morally support), I would never compare those protesters in Bangkok to them, and I just see them as a nuisance, like many Thais do.